Feeding Senior food to a non-senior cat

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I went to the pet store yesterday and got some samples of Chicken Soup, Innova, and Evo to try. However, when I got home I noticed that the Chicken Soup and the Evo he gave me were for senior cats (my two are not seniors). I really just want to find out if they will eat it, so is it okay to have them try it or is there something in it that they shouldn't be eating? Or would it taste different so I still wouldn't know if they like it?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Senior 90% of the time means lower protein and fat along with lower calcium and phos ... check the AFFCO seal it likely says for maintence of adult cats... While not ideal a bag shouldnt hurt

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. It's just a little sample bag, and I really only wanted to see if they'll eat that brand (3 or 4 kibbles each). Turns out they won't eat it, so I guess it's a moot issue.

pokey318

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just switched my two 11 year old cats to Innova Senior which surprisingly is fairly high in protein at 38%. While it is lower in fat- 12%, according to Innova, there is 30.6% carbs. Usually the senior and light formulas are full of fillers/carbs. I needed a food with higher fiber content which is usually only found in the senior and light formulas. I am hoping the meat protein will off set the lower fat.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by pokey318

I just switched my two 11 year old cats to Innova Senior which surprisingly is fairly high in protein at 38%. While it is lower in fat- 12%, according to Innova, there is 30.6% carbs. Usually the senior and light formulas are full of fillers/carbs. I needed a food with higher fiber content which is usually only found in the senior and light formulas. I am hoping the meat protein will off set the lower fat.
Sorry to Hyjack a bit here

Please discuss this with your vet ... Yes some seniors can have HIGH protein in a DRY food but most should NOT ... dry food protein is harder to digest for the older cat( well any cat ).... have you tried wet food??