Identifying main ingredients

wmarcello

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm trying to figure out how to better identify the main ingredients in a cat food.

The following is from dogfoodproject.com.

A good rule of thumb to distinguish the major components of a food is to look for the first named source of fat in the ingredient list. Anything listed before that, and including it, make up the main portion of the food, other items are present in much smaller amounts to add flavor, function as preservatives or because of their dietary benefits (e.g. probiotics, vitamins and minerals).
Does the same apply for cat food? I assume it doesn't apply for wet, as I don't remember ever noticing an explicit "fat" ingredient on the wet food I buy.

The reason I'm asking is that I'm trying to figure out how much fish is in Felidae's dry formula. Their herring meal is 6th on the list, but after chicken fat. With Inka's current bladder infection, I'm trying to stay away from fishy foods. Thanks.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by wmarcello

I'm trying to figure out how to better identify the main ingredients in a cat food.

The following is from dogfoodproject.com.

Does the same apply for cat food? I assume it doesn't apply for wet, as I don't remember ever noticing an explicit "fat" ingredient on the wet food I buy.

The reason I'm asking is that I'm trying to figure out how much fish is in Felidae's dry formula. Their herring meal is 6th on the list, but after chicken fat. With Inka's current bladder infection, I'm trying to stay away from fishy foods. Thanks.
Yes... but an easier one is the first five ingrediants make up 90 % of the can or bag...I once figured out that my dogs food contained one lb of meat per4.5lb bag..