QUESTION- When is it TOO LOUD???

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay I have a question for you guys who can hear!

If you are on a 2nd floor apt of a complex and you can FEEL music through the carpeted floor, walls and bookshelves... does that mean the music is WAY TOO LOUD???

It bugs me a bit but I CAN live with it. However, I'm worried about how it'll affect my cats' hearing..

Will it hurt my cats hearing music this LOUD?? SERIOUSLY..... I tried to call my apt maintence but they said no one is available on weekends to come and ask whoever is playing musiic to turn it down.

I cannot identify where it is coming from (which apt) cuz I'm deaf but I KNOW music is on and it's LOUD....

I know this is STRANGE- a deaf person complaining about music being too loud.
but I am sensitive to vibrations. Heck as I sit here on my ottoman, I can feel music thru the desk, ottoman and carpet! Jeez....

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you can feel it like that i'd say it was loud Pamela. I don't think it would harm the cats hearing though unless they were in the actual room where the musics being played.

We have people from our local council that are on call at all times for things like that because that's when most people have parties.

What do your other neighbours say about it all because it must be awful for them?

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think intermittent exposure will hurt their ears...heck, my cats listen to me practice flute 4 hours a day and they're fine! It's sort of like people who go to a few rock concerts...their hearing may be temporarily damaged, but it heals and goes back to being normal.

You're more patient than I am...if it became a regular thing, I'd call the cops so fast! Even if I were only feeling vibrations, I'd still feel like my space was being invaded to some degree. And my landlord has this nasty habit of being nonconfrontational, hence the cops.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

If you can feel it like that i'd say it was loud Pamela. I don't think it would harm the cats hearing though unless they were in the actual room where the musics being played.

We have people from our local council that are on call at all times for things like that because that's when most people have parties.

What do your other neighbours say about it all because it must be awful for them?
I don't really know any of my neighbors- I keep to myself pretty much here besides saying hi, good morning, etc. The neighborhood here isn't too great so that's why I don't really socialize much with neighbors... I really do wonder about other neigbors- if this bothers them too. This is NOT the first time I've called maintence about it.

Originally Posted by lionessrampant

I don't think intermittent exposure will hurt their ears...heck, my cats listen to me practice flute 4 hours a day and they're fine! It's sort of like people who go to a few rock concerts...their hearing may be temporarily damaged, but it heals and goes back to being normal.

You're more patient than I am...if it became a regular thing, I'd call the cops so fast! Even if I were only feeling vibrations, I'd still feel like my space was being invaded to some degree. And my landlord has this nasty habit of being nonconfrontational, hence the cops.
I am getting a bit frustrated. It's not the first time I have felt this music. I finally called maintence a while ago to ask for someone to come find out who and ask him/her to turn music down. A couple days ago copies of a letter was posted on all our doors and there was a paragraph about security service and common complaints such as loud music playing so I guess if the music continues to bother me in an hour or so, I'll call security and see if they can do something.

I just feel a bit silly complaining because the first time this happened, I personally drove over to the business office and communicated that music was being played too loud.. The ppl there were looking at me like "huh?? you cannot hear but music is too loud? Well, then go to the apt and tell them to turn it down.." I explained that I cannot identify where the music is coming from and needed someone to go and identify where and solve that. After a long time of writing back and forth again and again, finally someone agreed to go over with me and of course by the time we got to my apt, there was no music on! I felt like a FOOL!!!! The guy was looking at me like I was crazy and I said I KNOW music was on LOUD but I guess they turned it off before we got back!

So that's why I thought I'd post here and see if the music IS too loud for hearing people if you can feel it through the floor, furniture and walls. Thanks.. Now I know the music is too loud. I'll wait a bit longer and if the music is still on in an hour or so I'll call security.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't worry about it hurting you cats hearing. I have to admit, I've lived out in the country long enough to always play my music pretty loud. It's not hurt any of mine in 25 years. They are used to it and never react when its on.

However, if you see your cats flinching, scared, or trying to hide when the music is on, then I would definitely complain to the landlord.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it's safe to say that you wouldn't feel it to that extent if it were not too loud -- and probably by a good margin, too. They probably also have the bass hiked way up -- often the case in "too loud" situations -- and that as much as anything is what is causing the vibration.

At any rate, even if you can't hear the actual music, the vibration is invading your space. As for your kitties, I wouldn't worry. Music played too loud in another apartment is an annoyance, to be sure, but the separation is sufficient that the only hearing that's likely to be at risk is that of the people in that apartment.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, the music is too loud. I had this situtation in the last apartment complex I lived in. Believe it or not, it wasn't the college kids living there who wouldn't turn it down, but the old rocker guy!

Couldn't get managerment to do anything - they lived off site. So one evening, as the bass is numbing my bone marrow, I looked up tenant laws online for Oregon. Printed out the noise information and posted it on his door. It is some law about quality of livability or some such. He stopped for about a week then had to be reminded again.

It isn't right that management would tell YOU to confront them. You have to live there and should not be doing their job. Sorry, inconsiderate people are one of my pet peeves! You pay rent and should not have to be subjected to discomfort on a regular basis.

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Momofmany

I wouldn't worry about it hurting you cats hearing. I have to admit, I've lived out in the country long enough to always play my music pretty loud. It's not hurt any of mine in 25 years. They are used to it and never react when its on.

However, if you see your cats flinching, scared, or trying to hide when the music is on, then I would definitely complain to the landlord.
MUSIC STOPPED FINALLY!!! AHHH!!! Lol. It helps to know that it won't hurt my cats. I know I get paranoid about cats sometimes but in this situation- it's hard for me to know when it'd harm my cats since I cannot hear you know? The cats seems okay as of now.

Originally Posted by rapunzel47

I think it's safe to say that you wouldn't feel it to that extent if it were not too loud -- and probably by a good margin, too. They probably also have the bass hiked way up -- often the case in "too loud" situations -- and that as much as anything is what is causing the vibration.

At any rate, even if you can't hear the actual music, the vibration is invading your space. As for your kitties, I wouldn't worry. Music played too loud in another apartment is an annoyance, to be sure, but the separation is sufficient that the only hearing that's likely to be at risk is that of the people in that apartment.
I didn't realize that bass can cuase a lot of vibration. THANKS!!

Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

Yes, the music is too loud. I had this situtation in the last apartment complex I lived in. Believe it or not, it wasn't the college kids living there who wouldn't turn it down, but the old rocker guy!

Couldn't get managerment to do anything - they lived off site. So one evening, as the bass is numbing my bone marrow, I looked up tenant laws online for Oregon. Printed out the noise information and posted it on his door. It is some law about quality of livability or some such. He stopped for about a week then had to be reminded again.

It isn't right that management would tell YOU to confront them. You have to live there and should not be doing their job. Sorry, inconsiderate people are one of my pet peeves! You pay rent and should not have to be subjected to discomfort on a regular basis.
Yeah I was pretty frustrated with the management the first time but they have improved after that I think. I guess I just need to educate them regarding deaf people's needs and I can understand why they'd be confused because normally you wouldn't THINK a deaf person would be bothered by loud music! LOL.
I don't notice this on a regular basis so I don't think they're doing it OFTEN.

It's nice to know that I am not imagining it being too loud from what you guys have told me so far! LOL.

I do have a funny story about something similar to this.. .I'll post it in the next part.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes it wasn't even the volume so much for me but having the bass cranked all the way. That is where most of the vibration comes from, I believe. The bass is what made my brain cells jellify and turn me in to some kind of lunatic

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember once as a teenager, my parents went out of town so it was just me and my older brother (4 years older). My brother thought it'd be the perfect time for him to play music real loud without getting in trouble with parents. I remember I was taking a bath and all of a sudden felt LOUD vibrations and beats. It freaked me out at first
till I figured out what it was then I tried to ignore it but it was HARD especially if you're laying in a bathtub which is a perfect place to FEEL EVERY BEAT of the music.

I got out of the bath after a while and asked my bro to turn it down. He refused so we started arguing.. After a few minutes, a neighbor came over and knocked on the door so my bro went to answer it.. Shaun (bro) came back in and I asked what the neighbor wanted and he shrugged and said the neighbor was complaining about the music. I said "I TOLD you it was too loud! Now they'll complain to our parents!" He said, "Nah.. I told them it was you who turned the music on so they said not to worry about it. they won't complain."

I COULD NOT BELIEVE he would lie to our neighbors and that the neighbors decided not to complain after they were told that it was ME playing the music! I was furious with him for taking advantage of me being deaf.

I told on him as soon as my parents got home!
LOL.. Shaun was pretty pissed at me for telling on him.
Parents went over and apologized to the neighbors for Shaun playing the music too loud and the neighbors were like oh, it was no big deal...

pamela

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

Sometimes it wasn't even the volume so much for me but having the bass cranked all the way. That is where most of the vibration comes from, I believe. The bass is what made my brain cells jellify and turn me in to some kind of lunatic
THAT's very interesting!!! I didn't know that bass would cause most of the vibrations. I guess I just assumed it was the whole music thing (volume, drums, beats, etc)..
Can you tell I know a lot about music?? LOL

hopehacker

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You may not be able to hear the music, but that doesn't mean you can't feel the music. Yes, I'm sure it's the bass blasting and booming through the walls that is causing the vibrations. I'm not deaf, but sometimes when I sleep, I use earplugs that can almost make you deaf, plus I use a big box fan, all of which to try to cut out the noise, so I can sleep. When the guy upstairs from me decides to blast his stereo with full bass booming, I can feel the vibrations, and it drives me insane. It doesn't bother the cats, but it does bother me. The next time these idiots put on their music with the booming bass, I'd call security if I were you, and ask them to come over to your apartment, and listen to the bass, then ask them to tell the idiots to turn down the music, AND the bass.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It could mean that they have the base up high as well.

Last year I had the neighbours from you know where living across from me. They had their music up so loud that I could not only hear it, but also feel the vibrations from it all the way across the hallway into my apartment. My floors, walls and even my windows would vibrate at times. After months and months of many letters, they were finally evicted and moved out in early December last year.

Your neighbours probably have their music loud because they know you are deaf and can't hear it. However, if you explain to them that you are sensitive to the vibrations, perhaps they would be more considerate.

Do you have a hearing friend who can come over and help you identify the source of the music?

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pamela

THAT's very interesting!!! I didn't know that bass would cause most of the vibrations. I guess I just assumed it was the whole music thing (volume, drums, beats, etc)..
Can you tell I know a lot about music?? LOL
Yeah, it's the low frequencies that are the biggest problem. In fact, very low frequencies, that can't even be heard, can cause physical problems. I knew someone who was particularly sensitive to low frequencies and sometimes had to leave a room or be ill.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's the bass that causes vibrations.

I used to go on an annual weekend outing and canoe trip with a large group of deaf folks (it was a midwest rally and there were probably about 350 people). When we would go to the local club at night, the DJ would turn the bass all the way up so that everyone could dance.

You know what I found out those weekends? That deaf people dance a lot better than hearing people. It's all about the beat and the beat comes from the bass.

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Your neighbours probably have their music loud because they know you are deaf and can't hear it. However, if you explain to them that you are sensitive to the vibrations, perhaps they would be more considerate.
That's what I thought too. If they know you're deaf they're probably playing the music loud because you can't hear it. Just because you can't hear doesn't mean you can't feel vibrations from the bass.

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's definitely the bass that's causing the problem. I have some idiot that drives by my house about 1:30 or 2 am, nearly every night, with his stereo and bass turned up so loud that it actually rattles my windows as he passes by. I feel like calling the cops and telling them that one of these nights we're gonna have a drive by shooting. He's gonna drive by....and I'm gonna shoot him! Too bad I don't have a gun, lol!

Seriously though....if you don't get any action out of the apartment management, then you do need to call the police while it's happening. Explain that you are deaf and you cannot tell where the sound is coming from, but you can feel the vibrations. Tell them that you would like them to come out and tell the offenders that they need to turn down the stereo. There are laws about noise, and you are within your rights to have the police intervene.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many years ago, I saw a professional deaf-dance troupe perform! They put big speakers face down on the stage floor and danced to the vibrations... it was wonderful!

But these vibrations are not wonderful. There's no reason for anyone to subject you to this. I don't know whether it's this way for others, but heavy bass vibrations like that affect my heartrate and bring on panic attacks.

Your landlord should not expect you to confront a neighbor, and in fact, the police will urge you not to, as well. It's too easy for that to turn into a dangerous situation. If your security people won't take care of it, go ahead and contact the police -- you can remain anonymous.

Before you go, you might want to write up an explanation of how it is that the noise can indeed disturb you (I wouldn't mention your cats -- they won't understand), so you can quickly bring them up to speed on why it's a problem.

I hope things settle down for you! Good luck!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We had this at our last apartment. Needless to say it was our LAST (we're renting a home now).

We basically had 2 horrendous neighbors. I could tolerate it more than boyfriend. He thought that the correct apartment living should always be honored in that you should not hear your neighbor at all
I had to explain to him several times that in the "city" (he's from the country) we have access to louder things and really...just don't care.

Anyway. We reported the first guy below us to the office. Really management wants the complaint, but they won't do anything (money talks). They'll just tell you to call the police.

If you're floor is vibrating, shaking, then that's too loud. I would keep calling the police until they get the hint.

kiwideus

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pamela - I can sympathise!
If there are too much vibrations, it makes me physically ill, so they do affect you. You have every right to complain about it! Good luck!