TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Who grows cat nip?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Who grows cat nip?

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 
I bought some catnip at Walmart to grow. I was surprised at how fast it sprouted. It's only been 3 days and it's about 3 inches long.
post #2 of 14
We planted it outside, and it grows crazy and also spreads
post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 
hm.. Too bad I rent or I'd plant some outside then.. I have it sitting in the window sill. I noticed it's growing through the screen window though..lol. I'm going to move it today to where Puff can eat it.
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SalemWitchChild View Post
hm.. Too bad I rent or I'd plant some outside then.. I have it sitting in the window sill. I noticed it's growing through the screen window though..lol. I'm going to move it today to where Puff can eat it.
Ours got so enormous one year it came up about 4 feet Sophia goes outside in a kitty walk, and on her way there she always has to stop at the catnip plant She LOVES it! Puff will love it!!
post #5 of 14
I have catnip growing wild in my back garden. I've tried cutting and digging it out (it's taken over) but can't get rid of it! My girls love it. I cut big bunches and dry it to send to my cat friends for Christmas. It always goes over well!

Pookie & the girls
post #6 of 14
I have tons of catnip growing wild in my yard.... It came with the house!
post #7 of 14
I've been growing the same plant from PetSmart for a couple of years now. It's still small since I have 5 cats who consistantly chew on it, but it's been repotted once into a bigger pot in hopes that someday it'll get a chance to grow bigger.

The cats love it. But I've noticed lately they love the dry stuff more. Hmm, go figure.
post #8 of 14
Funny story...a girl I used to work with had just rented a house. Now, she was not a cat lover. In fact she was afraid of them. They moved in during the winter and once spring came all of a sudden she had every cat in the neighborhood rolling around in her yard! She didn't come to work one day because she had at least 10 cats in her yard and she was afraid to go outside. She called her landlady and she said, oh, didn't I tell you? Your yard is nothing but catnip!

I think she went into therapy after that!

I would love to plant some catnip but I think I'll do it in a pot. I really don't need all the barn cats down at my house.
post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by calico2222 View Post
Funny story...a girl I used to work with had just rented a house. Now, she was not a cat lover. In fact she was afraid of them. They moved in during the winter and once spring came all of a sudden she had every cat in the neighborhood rolling around in her yard! She didn't come to work one day because she had at least 10 cats in her yard and she was afraid to go outside. She called her landlady and she said, oh, didn't I tell you? Your yard is nothing but catnip!

I think she went into therapy after that!

I would love to plant some catnip but I think I'll do it in a pot. I really don't need all the barn cats down at my house.

I'm sorry for your friend but that is hilarious. I hope she had an understanding boss.
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by calico2222 View Post
Funny story...a girl I used to work with had just rented a house. Now, she was not a cat lover. In fact she was afraid of them. They moved in during the winter and once spring came all of a sudden she had every cat in the neighborhood rolling around in her yard! She didn't come to work one day because she had at least 10 cats in her yard and she was afraid to go outside. She called her landlady and she said, oh, didn't I tell you? Your yard is nothing but catnip!

I think she went into therapy after that!

I would love to plant some catnip but I think I'll do it in a pot. I really don't need all the barn cats down at my house.
That is hysterical OMG
post #11 of 14
I have actually been getting catnip from the same patch for years. My grandmother originally planted a small patch of catnip about 60 years ago, she did not use it for pets but actually swore that catnip tea was the best insomnia cure there was. The patch is still in the same place at my family home which my older sister's family live at now. Every year I pick a couple of large batches to dry and use for my cats. I have never actually tried catnip tea but my older sister has and she also has used a mixture of steeped leaves for skin rashes and has said it works great.
post #12 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tierre0 View Post
I have actually been getting catnip from the same patch for years. My grandmother originally planted a small patch of catnip about 60 years ago, she did not use it for pets but actually swore that catnip tea was the best insomnia cure there was. The patch is still in the same place at my family home which my older sister's family live at now. Every year I pick a couple of large batches to dry and use for my cats. I have never actually tried catnip tea but my older sister has and she also has used a mixture of steeped leaves for skin rashes and has said it works great.
hm.. thats interesting. Hubby can't sleep sometimes. I'll tell him to try it.
post #13 of 14
I keep mine topped so it spreads out instead of up, gets nice and bushy.
Just pinch the tiny tops off at the branch of the leaves.
Every top removed will then produce two stems.
post #14 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlyn View Post
I keep mine topped so it spreads out instead of up, gets nice and bushy.
Just pinch the tiny tops off at the branch of the leaves.
Every top removed will then produce two stems.

Thanks for the tip. I still actually have lots of seeds I didn't plant too...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Cat Lounge
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › The Cat Lounge › Who grows cat nip?