Look what was in my yard this morning

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They usually are nocturnal but we see them in the day sometimes out here, especially in spring. And yes, they will hurt a cat (or dog) if they feel threatened but they usually just use intimidation to get what they want. And they will get into EVERYTHING!

I feel some of the barn cats on the back porch, and in the summer I basically have to stand watch to make sure the possums don't chase the cats away and eat their dinner. And the ones around here aren't scared of humans! I've come out on the back porch to find one chowing down and he just looks at me like, "what is YOUR problem". I've had to literally thump him (lightly) with the flashlight to get him to leave. And all the poor cats are cowering in the far corner.

Bold little creatures (but the babies are so cute!)

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never seen them in the daytime here...that does seem odd, but not unheard of I guess, like calico2222 said.

They do LOVE cat food, and the ones here are very bold too. They don't eat as much as racoons do, though!

I'm not sure about hurting a cat. I haven't had a problem, though.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OMG Helen!!! When that opossum was coming on the veranda, I read that they can hurt cats too. Joey is going to be soooo upset!!!

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yuck! Possums are sooo nasty!! LOL. I dont think i have seen one in the day time, but have seen a skunk....
I remember once when DH and I first got together(he lived way out in the boonies,lol) and he was at work one night and I saw one outside and it was a mama one because she had babies in her pouch. I didnt know possums had a pouch like a kangaroo-and yes she was munching down on cat food!!

neetanddave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They are pretty small, look like younguns. I'd be very quick about trapping them and hauling them off, Helen. They are NASTY critters, and VERY agressive I have found. And I'd bet they carry rabies as well.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know about other parts of the country but here in the South they get very large, are aggressive and do attack both cats and dogs. They leave a nasty mess if they should poop on your porch,etc. They've even been known to be fearless towards humans and threaten to attack. So much for playing opossum. I'd certainly encourage them to go somewhere else, as they carry many diseases contagious to you and your pets. While they are nocturnal they are often seen out during the day as well. Especially if something disturbed their nest or if they had a slow night hunting. They love cat food. I've even heard of people here finding a opossum has come through their pet door!

alice_curiouser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Awww.... I think they're cute! My parents used to have one that came up on their porch to eat cat food; he never bothered the cats, or vise verse.

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by furryferals

No they are NOT nasty, neither dangerous

http://www.opossum.org/facts.htm

Americans should feel priviledged to have a marsupial living in their countryside
I do think opossums are cute, and I don't have a problem with them normally. But when they are used to living around humans they do get aggressive. In the wild, it's probably different. But, they will attack cats and dogs to get to their food. I've seen it. They won't attack for the sake of attacking, but if they want something they will do anything to get it. And the opossums around here are bigger than cats.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We believe it was a possum that killed our Chavela back in Austin 20 years ago. Please don't let your kitty anywhere near a possum!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by calico2222

I do think opossums are cute, and I don't have a problem with them normally. But when they are used to living around humans they do get aggressive. In the wild, it's probably different. But, they will attack cats and dogs to get to their food. I've seen it. They won't attack for the sake of attacking, but if they want something they will do anything to get it. And the opossums around here are bigger than cats.
Okay in these pics they may appear little, but no lie they are bigger than Sophia for sure...they are at least 9-10 pounds

babygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister thinks that it was a possum that attacked her cat a few months ago. She has seen it next door. Take good care of Joey.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We used to have them a lot Helen when I lived up in Wine Country at most I saw them threaten the Cats but I had like 12 or 13 outdoor Cats at that time
( all spayed & neutered ) We had almost 6 acres and they never left the property, We had everything there including Coyotes witch sure as hell could not be trusted and we never had a problem with them coming around till about 2 years before I moved after first DH passed away, I hated the Coyotes because they did kill 2 of my Cats I even kept a shotgun handy and I did know how to use it ( Nickname Annie Oakley)
but I never did I probably would have though
Chicken here
We had skunks and everything else you could think of the skunks used to come up on the Deck and eat the Cat food. The Possums would threaten the cats but I think the Cats had enough brains not to bother them... But I don't think I would want them around now maybe animal control can move them, but chances are they are not the only 2 around
You just don't see them because you are sleepin when they are around and they do get HUGE
They remind me of HUGE RATS