Trying to cope with the loss of our baby

isockbull

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello People,

Yesterday I lost my loving baby Harriet Tubman. When I came home from work I found her body, but it was light because her spirit already transitioned. She was my first and only cat, and my girlfriend and I loved her very much. She was only a year old and was healthy (She got all necessary testing and dewormers, etc.) She was energetic, cuddly, and beautiful. She followed us around the house at all times and never liked being by herself. She would bring her toys to us indicating she wanted to play. When holding her she would reach her face out for a cat kiss. She would snuggle with us at night time every night. She would occasionally do silly things that made us yell (like purposely knocking stuff off our tables and desks). I even taught her how to sit for a treat. I'm not sure if I am posting this is the right section, but Harriet will be missed, and I'm having some trouble coping. I'm not exactly sure why she passed, and I am not posting looking for answers... What's happened has happened.. and I need to deal with it.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so very sorry to hear of her passing. She sounds like a wonderful friend.
But as to why she passed away~thats really odd. Had she been acting sick, or anything?

RIP Sweet kitty.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

isockbull

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No everything was normal... She snuggled with us the night before and I played with her in the morning. Everything harmful (like chemicals and stuff) were in high places. She was good at getting into our cabinets, however every time she got into a cabinet she would get stuck inside and meow until we let her out. I don't think she got into something she shouldn't have.

sammymykitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry to hear that.
My cat, Bunches died a while back of hearttatack, so I know what it feels like.
RIP

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by isockbull

No everything was normal... She snuggled with us the night before and I played with her in the morning. Everything harmful (like chemicals and stuff) were in high places. She was good at getting into our cabinets, however every time she got into a cabinet she would get stuck inside and meow until we let her out. I don't think she got into something she shouldn't have.
Was she an indoor cat? Or did she also go outside?

isockbull

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Indoor only... I don't understand it, and we've been crying for the last 24 HRs. She was our family.

isockbull

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've never had to deal with something like this before.. What should I do now?

bijou's mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so, so sorry for your loss. It's especially hard to have to go through this when it was so unexpected. When we had to put our kitty Sweetpea to sleep, the vet let me borrow a book on pet loss and grieving. It really helped me cope with losing Sweetpea. Maybe you could go to the library and get a book on pet loss? Maybe soon you and your girlfriend will be ready to give another kitty a chance? I know that another cat couldn't possibly take Harriet's place, but maybe it would help ease the grief. That's what we ended up doing, and it really helped. Again, I am truly sorry, and please tell your girlfriend that you both are in my thoughts and prayers.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am sorry for your loss. It is always hard to lose a beloved pet, but the hardest of all is when it is sudden and unexpected. I imagine that it is most likely something like heart failure, and there is nothing that you could have done to prevent it. I hope you can find some comfort in the thought that although her life was short, she was happy and warm and knew plenty of love. My heart goes out to you and your girlfriend

mypuddycat333

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So sorry to hear about Harriet. She wasn't that old. Pepper just passed over on April 11th. She was 14 1/2. So I know how you feel. We had to have her put to sleep. I was hoping she was going to pass on her own. Making the decision to put a beloved animal to sleep is hard. You had that choice taken away from you. For that I am glad. RIP Harriet. Maybe you will see Pepper up in kitty heaven.

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so very sorry for your loss.
She was obviously very loved and well cared for.
RIP beautiful girl.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

I am sorry for your loss. It is always hard to lose a beloved pet, but the hardest of all is when it is sudden and unexpected. I imagine that it is most likely something like heart failure, and there is nothing that you could have done to prevent it. I hope you can find some comfort in the thought that although her life was short, she was happy and warm and knew plenty of love. My heart goes out to you and your girlfriend
Well said.

RIP Sweet Harriet

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Epona said it well, also. It is especially hard that it happened so suddenly.
Only you would know when the right time is to think about adopting again. Some people need comfort right away, and some people need some time and space. One thing you could think about doing also is volunteering to foster a kitty for your local shelter. We all will be here while you take your time.

lady20

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by isockbull

I've never had to deal with something like this before.. What should I do now?
What you do now is grieve and be sure to let yourself feel the loss. You will be very sad for awhile, and no one knows how long it takes for another person, but when I lost my sweet SuLing I didn't care about anything else for at least 6 months to a year. I finally got through it, and now have two adorable little boys who need me to be their meowmy just like she did. Getting a book on grieving is a good idea, and it doesn't have to be just pets. She is your family and you will feel the loss just as though she were human. My prayers to you and Harriet, RIP, little one!.