California Natural Dry - A+

sulkair

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just wanted to say that I've tried a few different kinds of food for my Tom-cat who has food allergies. He doesn't like any of them really. Nor does our other cat who doesn't have alergies. They both reluctantly accepted Royal Canin 23 but its really expensive. They both hated the Hills Perscription Low Alergen. And neither will not touch the Blue-seal "By Nature Organics" Today I picked up a bag of California Natural Chicken & Rice formula. Its made by Natura. They both acted like they hadn't eaten in weeks. They absolutely love it!

Before I got this they were beggin me for the old Purina Cat Chow. In fact, the other day, the little one finally managed to rip open an old bag of Cat Chow I still had in the pantry just to have some of the old grub. I have kept this from them since My vet told me the Tom needed a special diet.

Anyway this California Naturals stuff is supposed to be good for sensitive cats. We'll see. But for now I wanted to report an excellent review on palatability esspecially since both cats are responding the same. I'll report more as they go.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yes Cal Natural is one of my top basic good cat foods picks.. and is IMHO way better than Cat chow ... I am hoping you are mixing the old and the new foods???

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just switched my 5 cats to this food and all 5 love it!

kittylover77

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I switched both of my kitties to wet food, but on days that I just cannot do 4 feedings of wet, I feed them small amounts of California Natural dry.

It is a spectacular simple food. Not many simple formulas out there and I am glad that Natura is filling that niche of the market.

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Our recent experience with California Natural also makes the grade

I was worried because they only had large bags and dreaded my cats refusal. But was told I can bring back the majority of the bag and be refunded or get store credit. Not sure if that is a Natura general guarantee or just with select stores, so that combined with the fact the ingredient list is top notch, I felt very good about it.

I mixed a ratio of the CN with their old dry. By the 2nd feed, all 5 cats picked through the kibble LEAVING the old stuff. My cats are uber picky about dry foods far more than canned so this was a huge relief.

The site link:

http://www.naturapet.com/about-natura/philosophy.asp

kris2eye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just recently switched from Natural Balance Venison & Pea to the California Natural Herring & Sweet Potato. My Siamese has IBD and food allergies. She has done wonderfully! They love it and also ate it like they hadn't eaten in weeks.
I also switched both of my dogs to California Natural. My 4 year old Standard Poodle has suffered from chronic ear infections. (Yeast)
He has not had another ear infection since the switch (Knock on Wood). The petstore owner had recommended it due to the fact it was very simple, had only one grain source, and also had no beet pulp. I am so glad we found something that worked for him.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Both my picky dry food eaters are eating the chicken and rice. It's the only one I've found so far that they will eat. I want to try the herring and sweet potato as a possible treat, but every store that carries it here is out.

mxwife

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For a cat with a sensitive stomach, which would be better to try out first - the herring & sweet potato or the chicken and rice?

Thanks!
Laura

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mxwife

For a cat with a sensitive stomach, which would be better to try out first - the herring & sweet potato or the chicken and rice?

Thanks!
Laura
Chicken and rice as it is the simplier of the two ...

the herring is herring barley oatmeal and sweet potato ... making it very grain and starch heavy...

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of my cats had diarrhea on CN dry...but I may have switched the foods too fast on him. It is an excellent food though.

cdubbie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank goodness for Cal-Nat!

My kitty was a carb junkie overeater...but once she got on the Cal-Nat she became a total self-regulater! She even lost three ounces in the last year and is more lean muscle, less flab.

The quality counts IMO.

It also isnt that costly. $21 for 8 lbs and it last over 2.5 months. She used to go thru the Royal Canin much much faster.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in the process of switching from Nutor to CN. I noticed this morning that 3 out of the 4 of mine left a small bit of food in the bottom of their bowl. The like it (they eat just about anything), but I think that now that I've got at least 1/2 of the mix as CN they are getting fuller faster.

frawri

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been using California Natural Chicken and Rice for the past year. Both my guys are doing great on it. But one of them is still too heavy. They both have been neutered, so they have that little flab that hangs down. But Bingzy, has more fat to him then his full brother does. Sammy is the more investigator of the two, so maybe he is more active. I like this brand, so do you know if they have any weight management type food?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by frawri

I have been using California Natural Chicken and Rice for the past year. Both my guys are doing great on it. But one of them is still too heavy. They both have been neutered, so they have that little flab that hangs down. But Bingzy, has more fat to him then his full brother does. Sammy is the more investigator of the two, so maybe he is more active. I like this brand, so do you know if they have any weight management type food?
Currently they dont have a wt mgmt ...

pamalajane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What is the size of the kibble? I am currently switching from Nutro which has a large kibble size that my kitties love. They are pretty much switched to 90% Felidae but I know they miss the large crunch. I am looking to mix in a new larger kibble in order to get them 100% off of the Nutro. If California Natural does not have a large kibble does anyone have any suggestions????

pj

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cal. Natural has a good size kibble. My cats don't like the tiny ones either, they like to crunch it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

Cal. Natural has a good size kibble. My cats don't like the tiny ones either, they like to crunch it.
Cal Natural is a three sided spoke ... My Natural choice eater wouldnt touch it yet the ingrdiants are nearly identical

mxwife

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much. I've got boomer on the wet nb venison & pea & would like to add some variety. It helps to know what's simplier so I can begin experimenting.

thanks again,
Laura