TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › BEYOND furious at rescue group
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

BEYOND furious at rescue group - Page 2

post #31 of 55
I really hope you are wrong about your brother hitting that dog. If it were me I would come right out and ask him.
If true, I would be very depressed if I were your SIL, she is going to have his baby.
post #32 of 55
Shorty, I know it's awful when someone treats you that badly. It's easy to say don't let it get to you.. but, you know, it does get to you... just think about how grateful that man that had Neko was. *He* knows what kind of person you are, and you have to weigh the reactions and respect that you have deservedly earned from people who have seen and know what kind of person you are over some twit who should not be working rescue, who obviously makes rash judgements about people. Just keep that in mind when you remember how awful she was. Get angry and vent your frustration.. feel free to PM me and yell about it. I'll call her if you like and tell her she's out of line. PM me the number.

ckblv, I don't honestly know if she asked her brother that if he'd be honest. I don't necessarily think, though, that it means that her SIL or the baby would be in jeopardy. Obviously her brother has a good heart, and tried to help the dog, and now is at a lost end with the pup. Sometimes the overwhelming frustration is difficult to deal with, and some people just aren't cut out to handle difficult cases. I don't necessarily think that if he hits the dog that it started out that way or it means that he doesn't have a love for animals, it may simply have escalated because he doesn't know what else to do.

And, btw, for anyone who doesn't understand my frustration with the dog we rescued.. please read the rainbow bridge post.. I know I made the comment earlier in this thread that I would have killed that dog then and there ( and I would have) but there's a lot more history and so forth to that story that I didn't go into here... and I know that sounds like a really horrid thing to say overall.. so if you get to thinking badly of me.. I offer up the shortened version of the entire story. Anyway, for any wondering how it is that I'd be pushed to that point.. here's the bridge post: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...ife+death+Tavi

Again, Shorty, we know how special you are and surely that man that had Neko thanks the powers that be every day for your kind and generous soul.
post #33 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty14788 View Post
I just couldn't believe how aweful this woman made me feel. I was crying like a baby thinking that I was doing something wrong to Kahne. He is SO sweet and if I could, I would keep him. But my house is already over flowing with 9 cats, 2 dogs, 2 turtles and a snake. I know I couldn't give him everything he deserves. He needs someone who has lots of time for him and with all of my other animals, I just can't give that to him. Plus the whole, trying to eat the kitties thing.

Aftercrying for a little while, I thought about everything I have done in the past year to help animals. I have transported 3 oppossum babies, 2 squirrel babies and a marsh rabbit to a wildlife rehab woman I know. I have reunited 4 lost little animals with there owners. (only one was microchipped so the other 3 took some work) I have taken in 3 animals that would have been put down for health reasons because there owners couldn't afford treatment.
Yuki - 4 week old kitten - Had half of the skin missing off of his tail, over 100 maggots crawling on and in him, URI, flea aneima, and coccidia. (His owner was a mentally slow and didn't know there was anything wrong with him) He is now living happily and with a full tail in his new forever home.
Neko - 9 year old cat - Was dying from SOOO many fleas. His PCV was 7.5. Death normally occurs around 7. He had to have a blood transfusion to live. His owner couldn't afford it. He was going to be put down. Before I had even SEEN the cat. I said I'd take him and pay for treatment. The greatest reward was seeing the relief on the mans face when I told him. He was so grateful that his baby boy was going to have a shot at living. Neko still currently lives with me because he developed AIHA after all of the trauma he had been though. I think his is going to become part of the family.
Skylar - 7 year old cat - Her owner was going to put her down because she couldn't afford the insulin. Once again, I took her in to get her regulated so she can find her new home. (She is still currently searching for her forever home)

ALL of this on top of having ...
Jennifer - Hyperthyroid
Neville - Osteogenesis imperfecta (brittle bone disease)
Weeble - Cerebelluar hypoplasia
Spaz and Pheelicks - Prone to UTI's
And a Husky named Mika with seperation anxiety.

I think I do more for animals then a LOT of people out there. Do you want to know what my first purchase was with a credit card? The 1000 dollar bill for fixing a stray puppy's leg. Someone beat him so bad that his femur was shattered and had to be pinned together. Oz is now 4 years old and the best dog I have ever had. Every last one of my animals have a story like this. I cant stand to see an animal suffer. There's not a lot of people who either would, or could spend 1000 dollars to help a stray puppy.

The thing that kills me is, if what she thought was true, would she rather the dog stay in a bad home with people that aren't going to care for him properly then trying to find a home for him? She just had no idea what kind of person I am. Even if she didn't want to help, all she had to say was, "sorry, I dont know of anyplaces that are accepting dogs right now." And left it at that...
I guess the one thing you have to remember in this situation, was that the lady's attack was not 'personal", because how COULD it be, since she didn't know you, or anything about you. She was unfortunately lumping your call into the many thousands of calls she had received from thousands of what she considered to be poor pet owners. IF SHE WOULD HAVE BOTHERED TO LISTEN TO YOU, she would have realized that you were trying to help an animal in a bad living situation. An animal that desperately needed her help. However, she was too busy being self righteous, smug and judgmental. It is shelter workers like HER that turn a lot of people off. I know I've dealt with some rescue/shelter/animal foster workers, that have turned me totally off by their HOLIER THAN THOU attitude. Because of those types of people, I WILL NEVER ADOPT FROM A SHELTER/RESCUE.
post #34 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeHacker View Post
I guess the one thing you have to remember in this situation, was that the lady's attack was not 'personal", because how COULD it be, since she didn't know you, or anything about you. She was unfortunately lumping your call into the many thousands of calls she had received from thousands of what she considered to be poor pet owners. IF SHE WOULD HAVE BOTHERED TO LISTEN TO YOU, she would have realized that you were trying to help an animal in a bad living situation. An animal that desperately needed her help. However, she was too busy being self righteous, smug and judgmental. It is shelter workers like HER that turn a lot of people off. I know I've dealt with some rescue/shelter/animal foster workers, that have turned me totally off by their HOLIER THAN THOU attitude. Because of those types of people, I WILL NEVER ADOPT FROM A SHELTER/RESCUE.
exactly what Hope said.
post #35 of 55
Sorry to take this off topic, but I just had to respond to Hope's post - please dont let the occasional rescue people like this stop you adopting from a rescue or shelter, it is normally a minority that are like this, and that attitude only hurts the animals that are in their through no fault of their own, and in turn hurts the animals who are either on the street or in the wrong homes, as if no one adopts from a rescues, they can't help any more.
post #36 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by booktigger View Post
Sorry to take this off topic, but I just had to respond to Hope's post - please dont let the occasional rescue people like this stop you adopting from a rescue or shelter, it is normally a minority that are like this, and that attitude only hurts the animals that are in their through no fault of their own, and in turn hurts the animals who are either on the street or in the wrong homes, as if no one adopts from a rescues, they can't help any more.
That's a very good point to make. I belong to a rescue organization, and do some volunteering at a local shelter, and can say that there always seem to be a few volunteers that go (a bit) too far. They certainly aren't in the majority, and the animals need the help, regardless.
post #37 of 55
Unfortunately, the shelter here has asked people not to volunteer during our open hours becaue of attitudes that are downright rude. There are times when I want to tell people off, but must hold my tongue.

I honestly can't believe how a shelter can employ people who are so rude. No wonder some have such high euthansia rates....if you have to deal with a during the adoption process, who's going to want to adopt from them?!!?
post #38 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckblv View Post
I really, really hope that if they can't find a home or rescue for the poor dog, they will do the right thing and take him to the vet and hold him and tell him they love him while he is PTS. I hope they won't dump him in a cold shelter with strangers to be PTS.
Exactly, but I have this strange feeling that this won't happen.
post #39 of 55
I'm sure that Shorty wouldn't let that pup be put to sleep without someone there with it, even if she had to be the one. She's working very hard to ensure that particular scenario isn't the ultimate end.. and I think she'll find someone willing to take the pup, it might just take awhile.
post #40 of 55
Thread Starter 
Well, the good news is, a local pit rescue is interested in him. The only problem maybe his temperment test. The one foster home who is willing to work with him has other pits. I have only seen him around one other female dog. They got along fine but I dont know if he'll be like that with every dog. If they cant take him, there's also a woman who is a client at the vet's office I work at who works with dogs to rehab them before placing them in good homes. She works with a lot of rescues as well. She's willing to work with him a find him a good home. She normally works with german shepards, but will sometimes work with other dogs...

In either case, Kahne will be going somewhere where he wont be put down, he will get training, and will finally find a good home that will care for him and love him.
post #41 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shorty14788 View Post
Well, the good news is, a local pit rescue is interested in him. The only problem maybe his temperment test. The one foster home who is willing to work with him has other pits. I have only seen him around one other female dog. They got along fine but I dont know if he'll be like that with every dog. If they cant take him, there's also a woman who is a client at the vet's office I work at who works with dogs to rehab them before placing them in good homes. She works with a lot of rescues as well. She's willing to work with him a find him a good home. She normally works with german shepards, but will sometimes work with other dogs...

In either case, Kahne will be going somewhere where he wont be put down, he will get training, and will finally find a good home that will care for him and love him.
...thanks to your efforts. Well done. I'm glad you didn't let that at the shelter have the last word.
post #42 of 55
I'm glad to hear Kahne will have someplace to go.

My only comment on this issue is, no matter how much bull you have to put up with in your job (or at your volunteer placement), you don't get to tell the customers off. I've been doing customer service for years now, and no matter what awful things I've had said to me or the terrible crap I've had to put up with, at no point have I ever, ever told a customer what I really thought of them. It's just not professional. I might think evil, evil thoughts, but while I'm on the phone -- or face to face -- I don't say them. It only does irreparable damage to your business, regardless of what your business is. (Unless you're in the business of insulting people, in which case, go nuts.)
post #43 of 55
I am glad to hear there will be a happy ending to this one.
post #44 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirinae View Post
I'm glad to hear Kahne will have someplace to go.

My only comment on this issue is, no matter how much bull you have to put up with in your job (or at your volunteer placement), you don't get to tell the customers off. I've been doing customer service for years now, and no matter what awful things I've had said to me or the terrible crap I've had to put up with, at no point have I ever, ever told a customer what I really thought of them. It's just not professional. I might think evil, evil thoughts, but while I'm on the phone -- or face to face -- I don't say them. It only does irreparable damage to your business, regardless of what your business is. (Unless you're in the business of insulting people, in which case, go nuts.)
All of it. I'm thrilled to hear that you have multiple avenues that will all take Kahne to a happy, heathly, and loving home.

The worst part of what that person did is that IF you were not as committed to Kahne as you are, the one who would have/could have faced the irreparable damage is the one who wouldn't have deserved any of it - the dog.
post #45 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeHacker View Post
I guess the one thing you have to remember in this situation, was that the lady's attack was not 'personal", because how COULD it be, since she didn't know you, or anything about you. She was unfortunately lumping your call into the many thousands of calls she had received from thousands of what she considered to be poor pet owners. IF SHE WOULD HAVE BOTHERED TO LISTEN TO YOU, she would have realized that you were trying to help an animal in a bad living situation. An animal that desperately needed her help. However, she was too busy being self righteous, smug and judgmental. It is shelter workers like HER that turn a lot of people off. I know I've dealt with some rescue/shelter/animal foster workers, that have turned me totally off by their HOLIER THAN THOU attitude. Because of those types of people, I WILL NEVER ADOPT FROM A SHELTER/RESCUE.
Please don't judge us all because of some bad apples in the group. At lot of us are very caring people who are doing what we do for the animals and not for anything else. There are some people even in the rescue group I belong to who are like you described, but they are the minority. Although, kill-shelter workers as a whole do seem to be hard, but maybe they think they need to harden themselves against the tragedy they see every day. Its hard to be nice to your fellow humans sometimes when you see the cruelty they perform.
post #46 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirinae View Post
I'm glad to hear Kahne will have someplace to go.

My only comment on this issue is, no matter how much bull you have to put up with in your job (or at your volunteer placement), you don't get to tell the customers off. I've been doing customer service for years now, and no matter what awful things I've had said to me or the terrible crap I've had to put up with, at no point have I ever, ever told a customer what I really thought of them. It's just not professional. I might think evil, evil thoughts, but while I'm on the phone -- or face to face -- I don't say them. It only does irreparable damage to your business, regardless of what your business is. (Unless you're in the business of insulting people, in which case, go nuts.)
I just can't understand the logic of actually telling someone off...which is what BREEDS the attitude that you should not adopt from a shelter. And it's a darn shame. You have a pillow to scream into at night. You've got a break room. You likely have coworkers or covolunteers who are perfect sounding boards. I NEVER went and told someone off, and I'm a hotheaded person; if I can control my tongue, so can this lady. It's a really hard line to walk, but it's in the job description. We're not doing ourselves any favors by being rude to people...the goal is LESS people buying from breeders or acquiring from "free" ads and pet stores!

So the moral of the story is:
1) People need to understand that we're doing the best we can, we take calls from some really horrible scum and we get jaded and disillusioned because of it but we still try our best (or SHOULD!), and no matter what, we can't save every animal, or even a majority of them what with the tiny stream of resouces we have.

2) Rescuers need to understand that people are basically ignorant of our work and the extent of the problem, but are usually open to advice if you know how to approach them. It's all in the tone of voice, and everyone deserves to be respected. Well, except the cruelty cases. THose people you can tell off.
post #47 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionessrampant View Post
So the moral of the story is:
1) People need to understand that we're doing the best we can, we take calls from some really horrible scum and we get jaded and disillusioned because of it but we still try our best (or SHOULD!), and no matter what, we can't save every animal, or even a majority of them what with the tiny stream of resouces we have.
I work at a job where I have to deal with the public over the telephone. I'll admit it is not easy to deal with people, via the telephone for any reason, because there are a lot of jerks out there.

The problem I have with this rescue worker and with some others I've dealt with, is that they treat people as if they're scum. In fact I think a lot of them just ASSUME that everyone who calls in just HAS to be scum. In other wards they put the caller on trial and convict them without hearing the evidence.

They also treat most people who inquire about adopting a dog or cat as being ignorant as well. I have been talked down to, and treated like I had to be TRAINED on how to own a pet, and talked to like I was a child by these rescue workers, in the few occasions that I have thought about adopting through a rescue. Personally, I don't NEED someone who is 18 years old treating like me like they know more than I do. I RESENT it. At least find out if I'm ignorant, before treating me like I am. Geez! It has stopped me from adopting in the past, and it has and WILL stop me from adopting from a rescue in the future. I'll go to a breeder where I'm treated with a little bit of respect.
post #48 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeHacker View Post
They also treat most people who inquire about adopting a dog or cat as being ignorant as well. I have been talked down to, and treated like I had to be TRAINED on how to own a pet, and talked to like I was a child by these rescue workers, in the few occasions that I have thought about adopting through a rescue. Personally, I don't NEED someone who is 18 years old treating like me like they know more than I do. I RESENT it. At least find out if I'm ignorant, before treating me like I am. Geez! It has stopped me from adopting in the past, and it has and WILL stop me from adopting from a rescue in the future. I'll go to a breeder where I'm treated with a little bit of respect.
This irritates me. Not you Hope, the way you were treated. Seriously....there are some people who know what they're doing. I never ever talk to someone like they don't know what they're doing unless
A) they are first time owners
B) they ask for my help
C) they ask me a direct question about something(like cat intros)

Yet, I am 20 years old. I get adults who tell me that declawing is for the cat's good. They weren't meant to have claws(I had one person tell me the Bible told him to declaw). So, if I say anything, I only irritate them & chance they will not adopt from us. (The bible guy didn't adopt from us, he wouldn't alter any animal-no spaying/neutering, but declawing was OK ). I have to tip-toe around some people. I do my best to never be that person(the one who is a jerk ). If I need to rant, I wait until after open hours at the shelter.
post #49 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by white cat lover View Post
This irritates me. Not you Hope, the way you were treated. Seriously....there are some people who know what they're doing. I never ever talk to someone like they don't know what they're doing unless
A) they are first time owners
B) they ask for my help
C) they ask me a direct question about something(like cat intros)

Yet, I am 20 years old. I get adults who tell me that declawing is for the cat's good. They weren't meant to have claws(I had one person tell me the Bible told him to declaw). So, if I say anything, I only irritate them & chance they will not adopt from us. (The bible guy didn't adopt from us, he wouldn't alter any animal-no spaying/neutering, but declawing was OK ). I have to tip-toe around some people. I do my best to never be that person(the one who is a jerk ). If I need to rant, I wait until after open hours at the shelter.
See, and that's what applications are for! You fill out an application before you so much as say anything to anyone (rather than "Hi, how are you?") and that way, any idiot will know how to address someone. You're not going to coddle someone who has had cat their whole life and has an application that looks spot-on, and you're not going to let a first-time owner leave with no information. You're also not going to talk to the Bible-wielding declaw guy the same way you'd talk to someone who is involved in animal welfare. I guess you need a gift for reading people to do this job.

For instance, if Hope had come to adopt from us, we would have had a pretty good idea of her cat experience BEFORE we ever sat down to have a conversation with her. We'd also have a good idea as to what she was looking for. THis way, we can minimize her stress, our stress and the stress to the cats by simply answering her questions, filling in the gaps on her application and then escorting her to the correct room of the shelter for her needs.

Although, the head of our department was always a little bit patronizing. I don't think she meant it or even realized she came across that way, but I always thought she talked to callers like they were 2 year olds as far as her tone of voice went. But she was always good about getting every little detail of the story before she gave any direction. How can you effectively help someone before you have the whole story?
post #50 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by white cat lover View Post

Yet, I am 20 years old. I get adults who tell me that declawing is for the cat's good. They weren't meant to have claws(I had one person tell me the Bible told him to declaw). So, if I say anything, I only irritate them & chance they will not adopt from us. (The bible guy didn't adopt from us, he wouldn't alter any animal-no spaying/neutering, but declawing was OK ).


:GASP: No way!!! Declawing is okay? How the heck is that for teh cat's good... oh, here kitty, go outside.. oh, see that big dog over there, fend it off without your claws.. oh, here kitty, my kid is going to torment you so make sure you teach him a lesson without your claws...

There's not even any logic behind that one...

Anyway, that was my one minute rant..
post #51 of 55
i'm glad there is a good ending for kahne. he's a lucky dog to have met you.

i just wanted to comment on a few people saying that when you go into working in rescue or a shelter you know what you are getting into. i have to politely disagree with that. i worked at a shelter for a few years, and honestly i had no idea what i was getting into. i just knew i loved animals. i had no idea there were people out there who would let their dog get so matted and dirty there were maggots growing on him. i had no idea there were people like that in the world. i had an inkling about disposable cats from volunteering at a rescue, but a shelter that takes *everything* is sooo different. i think the worst excuse for returning a cat, was the college age girl who said he "wasn't fun enough". i will remember that forever. call me naive, sheltered, or whatever but i honestly had no idea. i think it really contributed to my burnout. i'm still happy to help anyone who has kitty questions, i donate; but i know i could never work in that environment again.

i don't think that rescue worker should have talked to you that way, no matter how burned out she was. you deal with that after hours. rudeness like that turns people off to rescue/shelters.
post #52 of 55
I know I totally couldn't do that line of work, it would break my heart. Although, I considered going to vet school. I really wish I had the money and time to dedicate to that and to helping animals in need.

I do applaud those that do rescue and can keep it together. Customer service was difficult enough and I had no major problems that I felt deeply about, so.. you know, I wasn't emotionally attached to the electronics we sold, but I definitely would be to the four-footers.
post #53 of 55
I am so glad that Kahne will be getting a loving home! Shorty, you really exgausted every avenue until you found a way to help him. God bless you for that!

You have every right to be upset at the way you were treated by the rescue worker. It wasn't fair. You were treated horribly. I think you should write a letter, but not out of anger. She may be a very nice person who made a mistake. After all, she is in the business of helping animals (although wasn't good at it in your case).

I think it would be more productive to re-iterate to her that you are not the owner, etc. Then tell her how hurt you were that she judged you. Tell her the steps you took to place Kahne in a loving home. Then conclude with your happy ending. It may help her to have a better attitude the next time and may help save an animal.

I know its more tempting to tell her off. Appealing to her heart may change the way she treats others.
post #54 of 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleraven7726 View Post
i think the worst excuse for returning a cat, was the college age girl who said he "wasn't fun enough".
Wow! I know in my last post I just said
Quote:
...Appealing to her heart may change the way she treats others.
so this may sound hiprocritical, but HOW DID YOU NOT HIT HER???
post #55 of 55
Hi All,

I am both a volunteer and a leader of an animal welfare organization of volunteers. So this discussion is very much of interest to me. A lot of good suggestions have been made, and a lot of very true observations have been spoken (er, written).

I don't have the actual statistics at hand, but the Independent Sector reports that growth of the nonprofit sector has outpaced BOTH government and for-profit sectors in employment. Now, that's ONLY the organizations with paid staff positions. Remember that there are also a huge number of small organizations that organize (start up) within any given year, not all of them will succeed, and few of them are set up by a large, diverse board of directors with professional business experience. Some may be.

I think it is also worth considering, that we don't have certification programs for pet owners or people interested in helping animals. Yes, there is NACA for Animal Control Officers, and there ARE training curricula that individual organizations offer. Still, there is no requirement for someone to demonstrate any particular knowledge or skills in order to obtain a pet (in legal terms).

Put all of that together, and you have a bunch of amateurs running around in circles -- at least sometimes. In the example that Shorty's been providing us, you've got someone in Customer Relations that doesn't see Shorty as a customer probably. You have Shorty's brother as an individual with every good intention in the world, maybe wishing for the best, but not having any real facts to base the wishing on. You've got the poor dog, just doing what comes naturally, with a very confusing series of life-experiences.

In some sense, we all impose our EXPECTATIONS on one another. I think it would be great if everyone in my neighborhood who would like to help animals, would meet together at the beginning of the year and give even a "guesstimate" of what they might do, how much they think it might cost, etc. It would be cool if the shelter or rescue that was full when Shorty called, could forecast when it was nearing capacity, and ramp up foster appeals and training program, warn the community about its situation, to push the closing down to new admissions off. But because I have yet to see such collaborations happen, I think we all tend to set one another up for failure.

I wonder sometimes how much it "should" cost to have really excellent animal care and control in any community, that included terrific people answering the phones and so on ....

Best,
Linda
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: IMO: In My Opinion
TheCatSite.com › Forums › General Forums › IMO: In My Opinion › BEYOND furious at rescue group