switching brands: Innova EVO

bleedforlove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!
I am ashamed to say I did not know as much about cat nutrition as I thought.Watching martha actually brought to my intention the ingredients that are good for cats and ones that are not.My 4 year old cat who is healthy but was overweight at his vet visit last year.The doctor didnt perscribe any special food just told me to feed him 1/2 a cup a day instead of the whole cup we were feeding him and I think he has lost that weight (he has another appointment in a couple weeks)So anyway looking at his food bag today (purina indoor formula) their is almost nothing good for him in it!After reading alot of healthyer cat foods.I would really like to switch him to Innova EVO dry cat food and plan on asking the vet about it but for now I would love to hear any and all experiences with it.One person said their cat "dryed up" I'm not sure what that means but its the only bad thing I heard.

sunspot42

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You should switch your cat to Innova EVO wet food, if at all possible. Wet foods are generally much healthier for cats, who tend to get their moisture from their food and are somewhat reluctant to drink water. I love EVO wet because it's all meat, with no grain proteins or other substances not found in a cat's natural diet. So far it hasn't been impacted by any of these recalls.

Cats are carnivores. They nibble on greens occasionally, plus maybe the stomach contents of their prey, but for the most part they eat nothing but meat.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
EVO wet is a good food. I fed it to my cats in rotation with other wet foods for a while. At first they ate it but after a few weeks they decided that they didn't like it and only picked at it.

It is very rich because there are no grains. I've heard that some cats with sensitive stomachs have problems with it. I can't say that my cats did or didn't have stomach issues with it because they were eating other foods at the time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bleedforlove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet has told me he has slight tarter build up and would rather see him on an all dry food diet.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as wet v. dry on the tarter buildup.. I'm not entirely sure that it makes a difference.. I saw a comparison somewhere that said basically ... it's like humans getting tarter if they cereal instead of applesauce.. I haven't tested that theory, though.

Two of mine are on Innova Evo. One of my cats on it is very overweight. They eat less of it, thus far, and she's lost a bit of weight. I've heard the theory is that they crave protein and they eat until their protein needs are met. Therefore, if you have a higher protein content, they eat less, thereby eating less calories overall.

I've heard that a few of the other "raw diet" dry foods have less ash content. I haven't tried my crew on any of the others. They really like the Evo dry. They sort of stuck their noses up at the wet.

bleedforlove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you catsarebetter that was extremely helpful
.Oh ya btw my vets reasoning was that hard food helps scrape off the tarter theirfore helping him keep his teeth longer.I dont know how true it is but what I can say gotta follow the vet

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hehe, well, there's a whole other debate about that itself.. in whether vets really understand cat nutrition or not. Personally, my eldest domestic (eldest cat, only domestic)... gets her teeth cleaned about once every two years.

kittylover77

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My kitties ate EVO before, and one got really pudgy on it, even though I fed proper amounts.
EVO is also very high in ash and low in moisture, even compared to other dry foods.

There are several other grain-free foods available that might be a better choice.

bleedforlove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

Hehe, well, there's a whole other debate about that itself.. in whether vets really understand cat nutrition or not. Personally, my eldest domestic (eldest cat, only domestic)... gets her teeth cleaned about once every two years.
Where can I get my cats teeth cleaned?Do vets do it or do you take them to groomer?

bleedforlove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover77

My kitties ate EVO before, and one got really pudgy on it, even though I fed proper amounts.
EVO is also very high in ash and low in moisture, even compared to other dry foods.

There are several other grain-free foods available that might be a better choice.
Do you happen to know the names of these brands that may be a better choice? ; )

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, that's what I've heard about Evo too, but mine are doing pretty well so far on it.. we'll see ina few months, I guess. I'm considering trying another brand, but I have to find out what's nearby. Evo is also expensive. I don't know how it compares to the others in price.

I don't know how important the moisture level is, but that's partially because I don't think that affects my crew.. they have a kitty water fountain and they drink water like it's going out of style ever since it came to live in their kitchen. I definitely could see it being an issue before I bought the fountain.

There is another thread.. erm, started in the alst few days, I think.. that was about grain free drys.. with a listing of the four or five available.

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The vet does it, but they have to use anesthesia (sp?).. it's basically considered an operation because they have to put them under to clean the teeth. Banfield (the virtues of which are debated on this site), has a preventative care program that includes it. I think mine costs like $30 a month in the DC area (cheaper in some other areas), but it includes teeth cleaning, organ screening and a bunch of other stuff too.

kittylover77

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by bleedforlove

Do you happen to know the names of these brands that may be a better choice? ; )
Here is the thread that CatsAreBetter mentioned.
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=123807

I compared the foods quickly and Serengeti's ash level is much better than the rest.
Resident nutrition expert around here is Sharky.

Perhaps she will chime in and give you her opinion.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine are on a mixture and other grain free dry foods (two of them have problems with wet so it is better for us to go grain free dry)

As far as the tooth decay - dry does very little especially when you have food pieces the size of EVO as most cats don't 'chew' it which would be the only way it would help the teeth.

It is very important to make sure they get enough water with any dry, but especially EVO.

The other grain frees (off the top of my head, there is probably more) are Nature's Variety Raw Instinct, Serengetti, Wellness Core, Orijen (which is Canadian)

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL, I just found that thread too, and was going to post the link. You guys are good! Took me forever to find it, lol.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I like Raw instict and Seregettis ingrediants best.... the ash serengetti is very NICE

debskats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

thank you catsarebetter that was extremely helpful
.Oh ya btw my vets reasoning was that hard food helps scrape off the tarter theirfore helping him keep his teeth longer.I dont know how true it is but what I can say gotta follow the vet
Katy just had a dental the first of the week and had to have 8 teeth removed! She's 14 years old and will only eat dry food. I told the vet who specializes in feline dentistry that I'd always heard that dry food was supposed to help keep cats teeth clean and free of tartar. He said that the type of food they eat has very little to do with it, but instead it's due to genetics. In other words, if mom and dad had bad teeth, then the kids are going to have bad teeth.

I will say though that Katy's teeth were always very white, not like my other cats who eat mostly canned, so I don't think she had the tartar build-up the other two have had, but she had a lot of cavities.

bleedforlove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittylover77

Here is the thread that CatsAreBetter mentioned.
http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=123807

I compared the foods quickly and Serengeti's ash level is much better than the rest.
Resident nutrition expert around here is Sharky.

Perhaps she will chime in and give you her opinion.
I know this is going to sound very stupid but im really new to this.What exactly is the ash and why is it bad?I mean if its the ash I'm thinking of I dont know why it would be in cats food?

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I know this is going to sound very stupid but im really new to this.What exactly is the ash and why is it bad?I mean if its the ash I'm thinking of I dont know why it would be in cats food?
Ash is the total mineral content in the food...I believe it's called 'ash' because that's what would remain (minerals) if the food was literally burned. Maybe Sharky can correct/clarify...I think I'm close, though.

Ash has been implicated as playing a part in FLUTD/UTI problems in cats. It's more of a concern in dry food, as with wet the moisture sort of over-rides the potential problems caused by high % of minerals. These days, the focus is MORE on just magnesium than ash as a whole, but "urinary" formulas are typically low in "ash", as a preventative measure for cats who need that diet.