Recomendations for cat with sensitive stomach

mxwife

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
With all the recalls, what foods do you recommend for cats with sensitive stomachs?

I'd been feeding Boomer the Natural Balance Venison & Green Pea (dry & wet) and feel terrible about the possiblity of him being harmed by it. I checked the ingredient list & the dry I had purchased did not have the tainted rice concentrate but I stopped today after hearing about the add'l recall.

My question is this - We adopted him in February so I really don't know his history. he has vomitted atleast once a week since we've had him (mostly regurgitated food) so this week we had started elevating his food & timing it so that he wasn't eating his dry then his wet etc...he vomitted yesterday but I also introduced tarter cat treats.

I did take him to the vet today for a check up before finding out about the recall. The dr said he was in great health (except for ear mites) and when we discussed the vomitting - he said it really did sound like he eats to fast, which I agree. He's also missing teeth which doesn't help.

Anyway, after finding out about the recall, I call the vet right away - he isn't experiencing any of the kidney symptoms but I will be taking him in Monday for a blood test - I just hate that he has to be sedated.

So, to make an already long story longer, I just don't know what to feed him. I'm working on the premise that he has a sensitive stomach & is prone to vommiting. Today I've continued feeding him the venison wet since that appears to be okay. Should I just continue with that? I am so confused.

Thanks so much for reading all this. I just feel so terrible about all this. I took so long to research foods and make what I hoped was the right decision for him. I just pray that he hasn't been affected by it. The expiration on my 5lb bag was 12/07 and I purchased it 3/07. So he hasn't eaten it too long but still I worry & wonder if the food was the cause of his vomitting.

Thanks again,

Laura & Boomer

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My experiences with vomiting cats is that they do better on wet food. Those are my experiences...others can be different. It just depends on what's causing the vomiting. In our case, I believe it was a combination of corn in the dry we used to eat, and the fact that Leopold had a hard time digesting any dry food. Momma's case is different, but she does better w/wet too.

In Boomer's case, it does sound like he eats the food too fast...like you said.

I think the dry food you had was probably alright, although I would do the same probably (blood tests). Peace of mind is worth a lot.

I have 2 cats that are sort of tough cases, food-wise ...the venison/pea wet was finally what worked for them. Given the facts I've heard so far, and the fact that my 2 are fine,...better than ever, actually - I'm still feeding the wet venison/pea. It's a personal choice though.

There are some prescription brands of food that come in venison/pea...maybe ask the vet if you could get some of that, if that's what Boomer does the best with.

If you get him some other dry food, maybe try spreading it out on a flat plate, in addition to elevating it, like you said.

I'm not sure of other specific dry foods to suggest. I'm sure you'll get some good advice from others, though.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For my Palekana, who has a stomach ulcer, the Venison and Pea wet is the best food I've found. I finally determined that she vomits if she eats chicken or turkey. The vet suggested Eukanuba low residue canned. Aside from the fact that it looks disgusting Palekana was not fond of it and vomited at least once on it. Based on the facts regarding the recall I feel comfortable feeding the Venison and Pea wet.

I had an open bag of V&P dry which I returned, although I'm sure it was the old formula. Now that I know it contains rice protein concentrate I won't buy it again. I'm trying to avoid all grains.

I hope you can find a solution to Boomer's vomiting problems.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mxwife

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks to you both.

I think I'm going to discontinue the dry altogether & just stay with the wet venison & pea & see how the vomitting goes. I can handle the frequency so far. The kids are usually very good at checking under their beds etc. LOL!

He's pretty much vomitted the dry although there have been a few occasions where he vomitted the wet but in those instances, I had left dry out over night & I think he ate the dry before I got home & then ate the wet when I put it out for him. Since then, I've been putting out his food morning, noon & night. So far he has not vomitted the wet in the morning = just the dry.

Thanks again to you both for sharing your experiences. I'm feeling much better about the wet v&p. He really likes it & I felt really good about it being geared towards cats with allergies. I'm almost out so hopefully my local petco will have more on their shelves with all this recall stuff going on.

Have a wonderful weekend & thanks again!

Laura

mxwife

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks.

You know, you bring up a point I hadn't considered. I think Boomer may have a hard time digesting dry food. He eats quickly but it also seems as if he just swallows the food. He doesn't really chew it - or atleast we don't hear any crunching. And his breath is usually more horrible than normal when he eats the dry vs the wet.

Thanks for the suggestion to spread out it his food. I hadn't done it with the dry but did start doing it to his wet food to slow him down.

It's good to know that vomitting is normal for some cats. It doesn't seem to bother him at all.

Thanks again,

Laura & Boomer

sulkair

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is not abnormal for Cats to not chew their food. They really don't have any "chewing" teeth. They're back teeth are "cutters." They are designed to use their back teeth to cut away chunks of flesh from their prey small enough to swallow whole. If the food is already small enough to swallow whole, in a cats mind, there is no cutting needing to be done, so just swallow. All I'm saying is that its nothing to worry about. Of course if your kitty is vomiting because the stomach is sensitive, then maybe wet is better. I'd personally go with Natura brands, after my recent experience trying several brands for my cat with allegies.

mxwife

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Is Natura the Wellness foods? I was just looking them up last night. Do your cats have sensitive stomachs? I was just wondering what flavors etc that you use or would recommend for a cat that tends to vomit.

Thanks for explaining the whole chewing/swallowing thing. I wasn't sure what's normal etc since we've only had him for a few months. Your explanation made sense.

Have a great weekend!

Laura & Boomer

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by mxwife

Is Natura the Wellness foods? I was just looking them up last night. Do your cats have sensitive stomachs? I was just wondering what flavors etc that you use or would recommend for a cat that tends to vomit.

Thanks for explaining the whole chewing/swallowing thing. I wasn't sure what's normal etc since we've only had him for a few months. Your explanation made sense.

Have a great weekend!

Laura & Boomer
No Natura is California Natural , Innova , EVO , Karma and heathwise

Wellness make s didfferent lines

sulkair

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by mxwife

Have a great weekend!

Laura & Boomer
I can't really recommend flavors yet, as I've only been using Natura - california natural - for a short time, but I have the Chicken and Brown Rice dry. None of the Natura brands are on the recall list either. I would go to their website, just type in Natura in google, and read all about them. I have searched long and hard for a food that my cats both like and can tolerate due to allergies. I at least found one they like. We'll see how they do with the sensitivites. My cat's allergies are more skin related although he used to puke a lot when he was younger. I never worried too much because he acted fine otherwise. I would just clean up after him. But strangely once I got him off the purina brands, he stopped puking - so maybe there is a correlation. Give Natura a try, I think you'll find something you like. A bit pricey, but nothing like a pescription would be. good luck!

abigail

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Latitude: 45° 31' North Longitude: 122° 39' We
my cat has a sensitive stomach and in my efforts to give her variety i was often switching her food flavors. finally the vet said to keep her on one food so after a few vomit incidents on wellness chicken --- she totally settled down and now only vomits if she has hairballs or something stressful - like house guests - get to her.

i also keep three feliway infusers all the time which helps her.

she also has herpes which can flare with stress so the feliway helps with that too.