Clipping new kittens claws

ashley45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My new little kitten's claws are quite sharp. I'd like to clip them so that when he's playing on me he won't sink his claws into my arms/legs. I don't have any claw clippers yet, can I use human nail clippers in a pinch? Also, how much to I cut?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sure, human nail clippers are fine. I use them for both of my cats.
For now, just take the very tips off the claws since it will be your kitten's first trim. If you have problems getting the kitten to hold still try clipping them when your kitten is sleeping.
As for how far is too far, you should be able to see a pink quick within the claw. Do not clip that low.

Originally Posted by Ashley45

I'd like to clip them so that when he's playing on me he won't sink his claws into my arms/legs.
Also, I suggest you get some teaser toys and discourage your kitten from playing with your arms, hands, or legs. You do not want him thinking that's ok play when he gets older.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashley45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I'll try it as soon as he's asleep.

Also, I suggest you get some teaser toys and discourage your kitten from playing with your arms, hands, or legs. You do not want him thinking that's ok play when he gets older.
I do have some teaser toys, and I discourage him playing with my hands, when he swats at them, I put him down and stop playing for a minute. But he loves playing on my lap, and will sink his claws into my legs and arms while he's walking all over me. He is also fascinated with typing fingers (He's rivited as I speak) and insists on being on my lap while I'm on my laptop. He also loves to crawl/pounce up my arm, I think aiming for my hair. I'm trying to discourage this, so I pull him off and set him down, any other suggestions?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO I don't like the idea of clipping nails when sleeping - would rather train the kitten/cat to accept nail clipping when fully awake. If you have to, start by wrapping him in a towel and clipping one foot at a time - offer treats and pets between each foot.

I start my kittens at 3 weeks old for nail clipping FULLY AWAKE. They are trained to lay on their backs in my arms to hold them and have them done. Ling still hates getting hers down. Charlie 1/2 the time just lays back and purrs when I do his.

One very important thing - check and clip as necessary once a week as a schedule - that way they get use to a grooming routine.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

IMO I don't like the idea of clipping nails when sleeping - would rather train the kitten/cat to accept nail clipping when fully awake.
I don't think it would be so bad for the first time or two if the person is not sure how to handle the clippers or the kitten's paws.

I forgot to add, play with your kittens paws. Touch them, rub them, hold the paws a little bit and eventually your kitten shouldn't be bothered by having it's paws touched during claw clipping.

There's actually a certain spots on the back foot, right behind the pad and between the toes, that if you rub it cats will spread their toes. It's cute.

ashley45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
IMO I don't like the idea of clipping nails when sleeping - would rather train the kitten/cat to accept nail clipping when fully awake
I do want to train him to let me clip them regularly while he's awake, but I'm a little nervous about the first time. If I do it while he's asleep I can take my time and make sure I'm not cutting too much.

play with your kittens paws. Touch them, rub them, hold the paws a little bit and eventually your kitten shouldn't be bothered by having it's paws touched during claw clipping
This is a good idea. I'll start.

There's actually a certain spots on the back foot, right behind the pad and between the toes, that if you rub it cats will spread their toes. It's cute
Funny! Just like the babinski reflex in infant newborns.

ashley45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I clipped his claws last night while he was asleep. He woke up while I did it, but was a perfect little guy and held still while I finished.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, now start training him to lay with his back against your stomach or arm and then play with his paws (no nail clipper) - just so he gets used to being held like that.

Then hold his paw still as if you had the clippers in your other hand to do him. Reward him for being cooperative with a small treat. Do this until its time to check nails again - should be once a week and clip as needed

ashley45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, now start training him to lay with his back against your stomach or arm and then play with his paws (no nail clipper) - just so he gets used to being held like that.

Then hold his paw still as if you had the clippers in your other hand to do him. Reward him for being cooperative with a small treat. Do this until its time to check nails again - should be once a week and clip as needed
Okay, I'll do this. Thanks everyone for the advice! It was much easier than I expected.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also found that playing with their paws from the very beginning gets them used to having the paw handled and does actually make it easier to clip. In fact, Bijou is so used to it now that I can sit and hold his paw and rub it while he is totally relaxed and he doesn't try to pull it away. I even hold it and kiss the top of his little toes so he's used to me touching his paws.