need a raw recipe... Sharky...anyone?

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I need a recipe for raw, supplements included. I don't want a huge recipe, because I am just going to try this out on my cats. I need a recipe that will feed 6 cats 1 meal, just to start, but i can't figure out how to make the recipes smaller on all the ones I found online. Can someone give me a good one that my cats will like...and I don't have a grinder yet, so it needs to be some thing I can do without a grinder, or in the blender or a food chopper.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First of all.....are you working with a vet on this? Raw feeding is done easiest with a vet's help.

Otherwise....have you considered pre-made raw to start with? It might be a little bit easier.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

First of all.....are you working with a vet on this? Raw feeding is done easiest with a vet's help.

Otherwise....have you considered pre-made raw to start with? It might be a little bit easier.
THANK YOU NATALIE

First talk to your vet and see if they are willing to help or already know...

few premade sites

www.omaprides.com

www.brafdirect.com

both have loads of info ////

PM me if questions

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
vet doesn't do raw, and there are no holistic vets in my state, let alone my area. I am not starting a raw diet here by any means. I have tried the premades. none of them ate any of them. I just want to try it once to see if they even like it, and if they do, proceed from there

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fosterkitty

vet doesn't do raw, and there are no holistic vets in my state, let alone my area. I am not starting a raw diet here by any means. I have tried the premades. none of them ate any of them. I just want to try it once to see if they even like it, and if they do, proceed from there
Okay... One many conventional vets will help if asked
... two THIS IS NOT complete and balenced but should give you an idea

I will use chicken \\

1/2 lb chicken ( dark preffered )

1/2 lb chicken organ s ( a mix is best ( livers and hearts are favs here)

1 600 mg cal supplement

blend till desired texture ... i used canned tex at first

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I understand about the vet thing, none here either.

A cat isn't going to willingly eat raw when you first give it to them, that I learned the hard way. It often takes months to transition them. Damita was easy & it only took 1 1/2 months.

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hehe, I've spent over $100 on different flavors, mixed it in with their wet, put dry on top of it...nothing. One ate a little, that was it...this has been going on for 3 months, so I decided maybe to try it on my own. It's not something I will neccesarily do, but if they like what I make, I will do the research and find a vet willing to work with me, but I'd at least like to see if it works first.

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Okay... One many conventional vets will help if asked
... two THIS IS NOT complete and balenced but should give you an idea

I will use chicken \\

1/2 lb chicken ( dark preffered )

1/2 lb chicken organ s ( a mix is best ( livers and hearts are favs here)

1 600 mg cal supplement

blend till desired texture ... i used canned tex at first
Just a question...if you grind up the bones, you don't need added calcium, correct? And their taurine comes from the organs??

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I understand about the vet thing, none here either.

A cat isn't going to willingly eat raw when you first give it to them, that I learned the hard way. It often takes months to transition them. Damita was easy & it only took 1 1/2 months.
Natalie's right...but, my cats are weird. I think I mentioned the 3 times I tried mixing raw w/canned they looked at me like I was insane...except for Pixel, but she paid for it
. I'd be completely SOL if I had to mix...'cause I don't seem to have the touch. Maybe I need a Magic Bullet.

I just used the power of peer pressure amongst my troops. I put it out and eventually all but one of them caved, just curiousity I guess. I'm thankful that it worked. Good luck.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fosterkitty

Just a question...if you grind up the bones, you don't need added calcium, correct? And their taurine comes from the organs??
yes
and muscle and organs have taurine

kittymonsters

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you just want to see if they will eat raw. The next time you are making chicken, mince up a little raw and put it down for the cats like a treat. This will give you a good idea if they are going to go for it right away or not.

5 of my 7 are eager raw converts. We are still going slow however. My fatty's are kibble addicts adn they are under vet supervision to even try and get them converted to canned.

Tonight however, two of them decided they wanted to share the raw off of someone elses plate

Poor Stomper, he is a comple nibbly kibbly boy. I think maybe by next year he might be on 50% canned.

Please take everyones advice and at least get a full check up on the cats and get recommendations on caloric content each should be fed.

the raw recipe I am feeding is from here http://www.catnutrition.org/ I started by using the food processor and making it a babyfood consistancy.

Good luck!

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, my kitten Joyeux came already on a raw diet. I put raw down for Kahn one day and he looked at it and looked at us and said, what the hell took you so long? Then he rolled his eyes and gobbled it all up. (We had serious issues trying to get him to eat anything, for two years, and then the only thing he would eat was those Gerber Turkey Graduates meatsticks, and we'd sneak a little dry in with it, which he tried to boycott as much as possible).. so, apparently he was just waiting for us to figure it out. He's also an F3 Bengal, though, and still very "wild" in a lot of his ways.

The other two will eat some of it, they're mostly on a dry diet. Every once in a while they'll take a chomp of it without me having to mix it in to wet food..

However.. when I do mix into their wet, I have to take their dry away and not free feed them. They're not really big wet food lovers either.

On the grinding.. we used a food processor when we were making it into ground. That worked fine, but don't try to do bones in it. If you're going to do bones.. I think it's catnutrition.org advocates a particular kind of grinder. You could probably add bone meal, though.. we've been talking about doing that. Mine boycott the calcium additive. As a supplement (definitely easier at first, till you get a correct mix, and fairly inexpensive) we use WildTrax. It's like $18 for a 3 lb container, and I don't think we've even gone through a third of it since we bought it in December.

Now, though, instead of grinding, we chop it. I find if you're going to chop it.. put it in the freezer.. usually I'll put mine in there in fairly thin pieces, then pull it out when frozen, and run it under mildly warm water to thaw it just a tad.. *then* cut it into chunks. It's insane to try chopping/slicing when it's not frozen. It takes me about double the time.

If you're just trying this a few times to see if they like it, I don't think you need to worry about their nutrition too much, because you'll be feeding them other things that are balanced nutritionally. I personally wouldn't worry about it until it's their sole or main source of nutrition. Then you can go to the few big raw sites out there and figure out what you might want to put into it.

Chicken is a huge hit at our house, and lamb went over pretty well. Beef is a nice occasional treat, but they'd mutiny (and do) if we tried to feed it to them every single day. They liked turkey too. They haven't had venison yet. Sometimes you just have to try a bit of this and a bit of that. Lamb also seems to be rather hard to digest?? One sensitive tummy here pukes every time she eats a bit of it.

Anyway, I don't need to make the post any longer than it already is.. sorry!

jcribbs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How ironic. I also am thinking of feed raw every other day. I found a recipie today at this site I will probably use. I plan on continuing the Felidae on alternating days. I haven't started yet but it is a distinct possiblity this will occur in the cats near future. I hope you post how it goes. I love the idea of a raw diet.

They need organs and bones or supplements that make up for it. Shell fish [clams] also have good taurine. You can also buy it in capsules.

http://www.holisticat.com/rawrecipe.html

Hope that helps....
Jenn

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcribbs

How ironic. I also am thinking of feed raw every other day. I found a recipie today at this site I will probably use. I plan on continuing the Felidae on alternating days. I haven't started yet but it is a distinct possiblity this will occur in the cats near future. I hope you post how it goes. I love the idea of a raw diet.

They need organs and bones or supplements that make up for it. Shell fish [clams] also have good taurine. You can also buy it in capsules.

http://www.holisticat.com/rawrecipe.html

Hope that helps....
Jenn
Clams are excellent ... BUT NOT RAW

that site was quite interesting... I like the whole prey modal but my cat and dog that eat raw still dont understand it.. so I think it is best suited for starting with kittens...REMEMBER digestion rates are different and feeding every other day dry is likely to cause digestive issues

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Clams are excellent ... BUT NOT RAW

that site was quite interesting... I like the whole prey modal but my cat and dog that eat raw still dont understand it.. so I think it is best suited for starting with kittens...REMEMBER digestion rates are different and feeding every other day dry is likely to cause digestive issues
I skimmed that holisticat link and came across something I had seen before, "rubbing crushed dried liver over the prey animal/bird" ...as enticement. Now, where can I get "dried liver", I think I have heard references to "liver powder", too. Same thing? Where's the liver powder store? I'm serious, if it's THAT tasty, I want some. Is it tasty for them?

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think you can get dried liver in places like GNC.. but don't quote me on that. I'm sure, though, that you can probably find it online.

www.catnutrition.org also has a pretty good basic recipe, although I don't add kelp or dulse .. but I do add a supplement of WildTrax.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

I think you can get dried liver in places like GNC.. but don't quote me on that. I'm sure, though, that you can probably find it online.

www.catnutrition.org also has a pretty good basic recipe, although I don't add kelp or dulse .. but I do add a supplement of WildTrax.
yes HEALTh food stores ( sorry GNC isnt one in my book) often have it ...

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
GNC is nationwide, though, I think. It's the only chain I can think of. I mean, I'm pretty sure that WholeFoods or Wegman's carries it, but..they're sort of not easily found in some places. I haven't shopped at a GNC in years, but then I've got a Whole Foods.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by CatsAreBetter

GNC is nationwide, though, I think. It's the only chain I can think of. I mean, I'm pretty sure that WholeFoods or Wegman's carries it, but..they're sort of not easily found in some places. I haven't shopped at a GNC in years, but then I've got a Whole Foods.
Lol... I am with you only I only have local places ...