Any tips training a cat to use a harness ? r/o

nedra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat Killowatt loves to go outside and we hold him and he sniffs the air and wants to explore. So we bought a cat harness and a leash. He is a really laid back cat...so we hope he will enjoy being walked outside. Any tips on how to train him and get him used to the harness? I don't want to freak him out.

Thanks !!

pawsandwhiskers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! My cat Chloe used to go out on a harness at my old house. The first time i put it on her she acted like she couldn't walk!! I suggest putting it on for short periods of time (without the leash) in the house to start with. Let your cat get used to the feel of that on its body then introduce the leash for short periods, lots of fuss etc. This worked for us. Although she never liked any kind of tugging motion on the lead - she had to take me for a walk not the other way round! Good luck!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The best is to start as a kitten, but some adult cats take very well to this. Has he or does he wear a collar? How old is he? Does he let you clean his ears, hold him in various positions?

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by pawsandwhiskers

Hi! My cat Chloe used to go out on a harness at my old house. The first time i put it on her she acted like she couldn't walk!! I suggest putting it on for short periods of time (without the leash) in the house to start with. Let your cat get used to the feel of that on its body then introduce the leash for short periods, lots of fuss etc. This worked for us. Although she never liked any kind of tugging motion on the lead - she had to take me for a walk not the other way round! Good luck!
Maia did the same when I started introducing her to the harness, the same way, in the house first
. Sometimes she would just flop over, like she was shackled!
Was just so happy she didn't flip out and go cat-alistic!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nedra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the help.

Kilowatt is a year old He did wear a flea collar at one time...when he was outside but now he is an indoor cat.

He does good when DH holds him and trims his nails. He is really laid back and sweet. He is good whenever we pick him up etc.

Nedra

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you have a great relationship with him! I would try putting the harness on him in the house, very brief intervals at first, then if he is comfortable with that, let him wear it in the house for extended periods. When Maia would freeze up in the harness, I would walk out side with her in my arms, she would forget it was on......But she was never free outdoors, she is a "Fraidy cat"! The leash trick is to pretty much let them walk you
, so they think!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nedra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thank you Cheylink for the help!

I'm going to try him tomorrow with it!!

I'll make sure to let him think he is walking me.