TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › In light of the Rice recalls
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

In light of the Rice recalls

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 
Lets try to compile a new safe DRY food list :
Note : I am not going into corn gluten products as the only batches are in SOUTH AFRICA


So far companies that have stated they DO NOT USE RPC from the possible tainted RPC

Wellness

Nutro

Natura

Purina ( claims not to use any)

Diamond ( includes Diamond and Chicken soup)

Pro Pac

Eagle Pack ( As with Wheat Gluten, we do not use Rice Protein Concentrate, or as it is also called, Rice Gluten, in any of our Eagle Pack® Super Premium or Holistic Select® Formulas.
) from their site http://www.eaglepack.com/Pages/recall_stmt.html

Felidea

Solid Gold( http://solidgoldhealth.com/news/ it just says three ingrediants that arent US sourced)

Petguard
Add ONLY VERIFIED companies please to this list, via phone , email or website

Natures Prarie

Natural Balence ( NOT THE VENISON... thou I hesitate do to probbile cross contamination)

HILLS better Known as Science Diet
http://www.castorpolluxpet.com/your_...ed_food_recall
Castor and pollux...
post #2 of 28
I would think orijen would be ok ? ..

i wonder about fromms?
post #3 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by followedbydolls View Post
I would think orijen would be ok ? ..

i wonder about fromms?
That is what I mean by verified ... if you can go to the site and it states no RCP or that it is from another source not the one linked to recall/...

All grain frees are but I am focusing on the ones that contain RICE or RICE PRODUCTS...

THIS IS FOR VALIDATED OR VERIFIED NOT I WONDER
post #4 of 28
Petguard made an official statement on their site saying no RPC from Wilbur Ellis:

http://www.petguard.com/
post #5 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by whuckleberry View Post
Petguard made an official statement on their site saying no RPC from Wilbur Ellis:

http://www.petguard.com/
Thank you


FROMMS doesnt have a RCP statement ... and some parts claim they dont use grains
post #6 of 28
Sharky thanks for this info. Right now it's so hard to know where to turn for safe food, and for those of us with cat's whose tummies can't handle grain free, it's nice to have this info.
post #7 of 28
These are the foods NOT tainted right?
post #8 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarsmommy View Post
These are the foods NOT tainted right?
CORRECT these are NOT recalled DRY foods ... that can be source verified that they are not one of the FIve who got the tainted RCP
post #9 of 28
What about Raw Instinct? It is grain free, therefore it should be safe.
post #10 of 28
Back to compiling

Chicken Soup for Cats (please tell me this isnt' just a GRAIN FREE thread?!)

http://www.chickensoupforthepetloverssoul.com/

Wet ingredients: http://www.chickensoupforthepetlover...t_cat_formula/

Dry ingredients:
http://www.chickensoupforthepetlover...t_cat_formula/

**WHOOPS. I see it was on the first post. But I will keep this post for link reference.
post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by GingersMom View Post
What about Raw Instinct? It is grain free, therefore it should be safe.

http://www.naturesvariety.com/news.lasso (for those interested in the statement)

I would hope a grain free food isn't using processed rice.
post #12 of 28
For those using Hill's diet/and/or prescription diets, be aware of the company statement.

http://www.hillspet.com/Menu_Foods/H...4182007_en.htm

They name the few products(one feline) do contain rpc but these are NOT from the recalled batches. That is up to you then if you still deem it safe (they report testing and no traces of melamine)

The rest of their line does NOT use rpc.

**I am not particularly giddy about their answers though. Shrug/Sigh **

Oh, keep in mind their wheat gluten statement: http://www.hillspet.com/Menu_Foods/F...607_en_CA.html
post #13 of 28
Thread Starter 
Thank you

ALL GRAIN FREES should be safe ....

What I am TRYING to do is for those feeding a grain ie contains rice or rice protein or rice gluten the list of "SAFE"
post #14 of 28
As an added note about Chicken Soup I emailed them about where their rice (standard rice that is in their formula, not anything recalled) is sourced from just out of curiousity since who knows where this recall will lead next and here is thier reply:

I do know that the rice does not come from China. We are working with all of our suppliers to secure letters of origin for our ingredients, but have confirmed that the rice was not sourced from China.

Sincerely,
Melissa Brookshire, DVM
Director of Veterinary Services
Diamond Pet Foods
573-229-4203 (office)

It made me feel better to know at least they know that the rice didn't come from China.
post #15 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharky View Post
That is what I mean by verified ... if you can go to the site and it states no RCP or that it is from another source not the one linked to recall/...

All grain frees are but I am focusing on the ones that contain RICE or RICE PRODUCTS...

THIS IS FOR VALIDATED OR VERIFIED NOT I WONDER
........sorry
post #16 of 28
Natural Balance Ultra Premium is still safe
post #17 of 28
Thread Starter 
kateliza
THank you for the email



followedbydolls
It is just fine ... JUST an FYI

Sadie
thank you for the reminder
post #18 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie's Mom View Post
Natural Balance Ultra Premium is still safe
I was just going to re-quote their FAQ page:

http://www.naturalbalanceinc.com/faq.html
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by followedbydolls View Post
I would think orijen would be ok ? ..

i wonder about fromms?
Orijen should be fine, they don't use any ingredients not made in Canada and it is grain free so shouldn't have RPC in it

However, both FROMM and Orijen (foods mine actually like ) don't have any statement other than the menufood recall on their website
post #20 of 28
Thread Starter 
Yes some sites arent giving any info ...
Castor and pollux did

http://www.castorpolluxpet.com/your_...ed_food_recall
post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by followedbydolls View Post
i wonder about fromms?
I don't know about the dry, but I've heard that Fromms canned is manufactured in China.
post #22 of 28
I got an email back from FROMM:
Quote:
Thank you for your interest in Fromm Family Foods.

We do not use the ingredients involved in the recall. We use whole rice
grain.

The rice gluten / protein concentrate is not the same as whole rice grain.

I wanted to share with you the statement our company released today in
regards to the current state of the recall and our continued commitment to
safety.

Please let us know if you have further questions.

Best regards,
Fromm Family Foods
info@frommfamily.com
www.frommfamily.com
Phone: 1-800-325-6331
Fax: 262-242-3571
Mailing Address: PO Box 365, Mequon WI, 53092
************************************************************


FROMM FAMILY FOODS QUALITY PLEDGE

Fromm Family Foods is dedicated to assuring unprecedented quality and safety
in all its pet food products. The Fromm Family has over a 100 year history
in animal nutrition and promises to continue to deliver the finest in dry,
canned and treat products for pets.

Recently, another ingredient has been identified in the recall related to
tainted pet food. Fromm Family Foods does not currently use rice protein in
any of its foods, and hasn't done so for over a year and half. If you happen
to see an old bag on a store shelf that actually contains rice gluten meal,
it is over a year old and past the best before date printed on the bag. Be
assured that even if this product is fed past its best before date, the
product is perfectly safe as the rice protein used was purchased from a
company in Holland. The Holland company's plant from whom we purchased Rice
Gluten Meal has an FDA number and produces only products for human
consumption such as starch derived sweeteners like glucose and rice syrup.
Whereas, the contaminated rice concentrate shipped to other pet food
manufacturers was from careless "rogue" ingredient blenders who
unfortunately were not thoroughly evaluated by the pet food trade prior to
its use in other pet food products. Although we no longer use Rice Gluten
Meal in any of our products, our Four-Star Duck A la Veg and Gold Cat foods
still have rice gluten meal printed in the ingredient panels as we are still
running out existing empty bag inventories.

With the recent number of pet food recalls, many pet owners have become
painfully aware that many of their trusted brands are made by less that a
handful of third party private label manufacturers. Unlike many other pet
food companies that have all their products made for them by third party
manufacturers, all of our Fromm Dry Pet Foods and Treats are manufactured at
our plant located here in Wisconsin.

Regarding our "grain free" canned foods, we process all of our products in a
fit only for human consumption plant, and only the highest manufacturing
standards are used to produce our products. All of our canned products have
FDA registration numbers and certificates of manufacturing integrity are
provided for each and every load before it is allowed to enter the USA or
Canada. Each facility has been rigorously inspected on site by the CFIA
(Canadian Food Inspection Agency). As per these certifications by the FDA
and CFIA, we are mandated to purchase our ingredients from only certified
suppliers according to government directives. There are government
inspectors on site during production, and these facilities supply canned
goods world wide including the USA. These facilities also have EU (European
Union) and Kosher Certifications.

We do not use wheat gluten, rice gluten or rice protein concentrates in any
of our products, including our canned foods Wheat gluten is frequently used
by other companies in their canned pet food to make a manufactured meat
substitute product that can be made to look like chunks and slices or dices
of real meat from lower quality meats or inedible (not fit for human
consumption) meat by-products. If you see a rubbery chunk of meat in any
canned pet food it is likely to be a piece of reformed meat made with wheat
gluten. Rest assured, when you open one of our cans, you will only see real
cuts of whole meat and vegetables. There is no mystery meat and you will not
see anything in the can you don't recognize as real whole food. While many
people are understandably concerned with products from China, we feel it is
important to assure our customers that our products are made and certified
to strict government edible food standards .

In reality, nearly every pet food sold in the USA or Canada has some
component in it that comes from China, whether it's the vitamins, minerals
or the packaging. Our products are technology based and carefully
designed with an unprecedented visual presentation that allows our customers
the security to see exactly what they are feeding their four-legged family
member.

We feel it is most important to think through a purchase decision based on
the product's quality. We can with 100% certainty say that our canned foods
are inspected and certified to be 100% edible; 100% natural, and not
affiliated with any by-product operation. What other pet food company can
make that statement? We stand by our products 100%.
post #23 of 28
Bil-Jac is safe
http://www.biljac.com/

Bil-Jac does not use and has never used any rice or rice protein ingredients in any of our products.

We re-emphasize that we do not use any gluten meals in our products, including wheat gluten meal, rice gluten meal or corn gluten meal.

No Bil-Jac products are involved with the Sunshine Mills and Menu Foods recalls. And we reiterate we use no gluten meals, including wheat gluten meal, in our food, treats or biscuits
post #24 of 28
Eukanuba doesn't use any glutens or rice protein concentrate.
post #25 of 28
I posted this in the Recall Facts Links thread also. I got this email from Nutro today. Their RPC has tested negative for melamine and their corn gluten is produced in the US.



April 23, 2007

Dear Nutro Customers,

We know many of you have questions about the FDA's latest reports that melamine was found in rice protein concentrate (also referred to as rice gluten). We want to address those concerns as well as provide you with information on our use of corn gluten, which we include in some of our pet foods as an ingredient in the form of corn gluten meal.

Our customers have also brought to our attention confusion that has been caused by the media in reporting the new recall of some Natural Balance pet foods. Natural Balance Pet Foods, Inc. is not in any way affiliated with Nutro Products nor Nutro's Natural Choice®, MAX® or Ultra™ brands.

I hope the following information is helpful in clearing up any confusion you may have.

Regarding Rice Protein Concentrate:

(1) Nutro uses rice protein concentrate in some of its products because it provides an important source of protein for pets, especially for those with digestive sensitivities and allergies.

(2) Independent laboratory tests have confirmed that the rice protein concentrate (also known as rice gluten) used in Nutro's pet foods does not contain melamine.

(3) It has been reported that the Natural Balance recall is focused on products containing rice protein concentrate provided by Wilbur-Ellis Company. Nutro has NEVER purchased or used rice protein concentrate from Wilbur-Ellis Company in any of our pet foods.

Regarding Corn Gluten:

(1) Nutro uses corn gluten meal in some of its pet foods because it is a source of sulfur amino acids, which are important for skin and coat health. Corn gluten meal also helps as a natural urine acidifier that is important for both cats and dogs.

(2) All of the corn gluten meal that Nutro uses in its products is produced in the United States.

Nutro customers may check Nutro's website (www.nutroproducts.com) or contact our Consumer Hotline -- (800) 833-5330 -- for further information about our products. We will continue to post updated information on our website and our customer service representatives are working diligently to respond to each and every call and email personally.

We understand that the pet food recall has caused continued confusion and frustration and we are doing everything we can to provide you with the information you need about our products. We will continue to keep you updated.

Sincerely,

Dave Kravis
President & CEO
Nutro Products
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturestee View Post
I posted this in the Recall Facts Links thread also. I got this email from Nutro today. Their RPC has tested negative for melamine and their corn gluten is produced in the US.



April 23, 2007

Dear Nutro Customers,

We know many of you have questions about the FDA's latest reports that melamine was found in rice protein concentrate (also referred to as rice gluten). We want to address those concerns as well as provide you with information on our use of corn gluten, which we include in some of our pet foods as an ingredient in the form of corn gluten meal.

Our customers have also brought to our attention confusion that has been caused by the media in reporting the new recall of some Natural Balance pet foods. Natural Balance Pet Foods, Inc. is not in any way affiliated with Nutro Products nor Nutro's Natural Choice®, MAX® or Ultra™ brands.

I hope the following information is helpful in clearing up any confusion you may have.

Regarding Rice Protein Concentrate:

(1) Nutro uses rice protein concentrate in some of its products because it provides an important source of protein for pets, especially for those with digestive sensitivities and allergies.

(2) Independent laboratory tests have confirmed that the rice protein concentrate (also known as rice gluten) used in Nutro's pet foods does not contain melamine.

(3) It has been reported that the Natural Balance recall is focused on products containing rice protein concentrate provided by Wilbur-Ellis Company. Nutro has NEVER purchased or used rice protein concentrate from Wilbur-Ellis Company in any of our pet foods.

Regarding Corn Gluten:

(1) Nutro uses corn gluten meal in some of its pet foods because it is a source of sulfur amino acids, which are important for skin and coat health. Corn gluten meal also helps as a natural urine acidifier that is important for both cats and dogs.

(2) All of the corn gluten meal that Nutro uses in its products is produced in the United States.

Nutro customers may check Nutro's website (www.nutroproducts.com) or contact our Consumer Hotline -- (800) 833-5330 -- for further information about our products. We will continue to post updated information on our website and our customer service representatives are working diligently to respond to each and every call and email personally.

We understand that the pet food recall has caused continued confusion and frustration and we are doing everything we can to provide you with the information you need about our products. We will continue to keep you updated.

Sincerely,

Dave Kravis
President & CEO
Nutro Products
Thank you for posting, that i was just about ask whether their were any updates on the corn issues with Nutro. I may go back to them in my rotation of kibbles then.
post #27 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by followedbydolls View Post
Thank you for posting, that i was just about ask whether their were any updates on the corn issues with Nutro. I may go back to them in my rotation of kibbles then.
i was thinking that same thing. i am having a heck of a time finding a dry food for senior cats other than nutro's that looks really good. i have one more 6lb bag of NB Ultra to go through before i have to make a decision though. thank goodness. it buys me time while i wait for the other 2 pet food companies to be revealed.
post #28 of 28
Whiskas Canadian Site has this posted.

http://www.whiskas.ca/new/

Oddly, I could not find the same statements on the US site other than an in general 'we're safe to feed' type statement.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cat Nutrition
TheCatSite.com › Forums › Our Feline Companions › Cat Nutrition › In light of the Rice recalls