Three other contaminants found

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
in urine, kidneys of pets who ate recalled food

http://www.petconnection.com/blog/20...#comment-34219

…identified three other contaminants in the urine and kidneys of animals sickened or killed after eating the recalled foods, including cyanuric acid, a chemical commonly used in pool chlorination, three researchers told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. Cyanuric acid is what most likely sickened pets, one researcher said.

also i thought this was important

Veterinarians and nutritionists said that other potential targets for tampering could include whey protein isolate, soy protein isolate, soy protein concentrate, soy grits and soy lecithin.

Sorry if this was posted somewhere else. I did not see it so wanted to post it.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OMG

Check out the recall sticky....
a toxin has been found in pig urine.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been waiting for the other shoe to drop. I highly suspect that melamine has been in the food for much longer than we thought...I think we are still waiting to hear what the real killer is.

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

I have been waiting for the other shoe to drop. I highly suspect that melamine has been in the food for much longer than we thought...I think we are still waiting to hear what the real killer is.
This is exactly what I was trying to say, perhaps without any clarity, in my "morbidity/mortality" thread.

There was no way, in my mind, that this was isolated to melamine, one food, or one company.

This could very well still be in the beginning stages

The thought that this is deliberate makes me physically ill. But it really reeks that way:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070420/...28xG9aebADW7oF

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Yes, the investigations will be continuing for a while, at this rate...

Gluten, isolate, concentrate. I definitely won't be buying anything with these words.

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by whuckleberry

Yes, the investigations will be continuing for a while, at this rate...

Gluten, isolate, concentrate. I definitely won't be buying anything with these words.
I would think that part of the pet food regulation changes will involve mandated testing of all grains and grain derivitives.

Regardless I am just at a loss about 'regulation' and enforcing it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jpawz

I would think that part of the pet food regulation changes will involve mandated testing of all grains and grain derivitives.

Regardless I am just at a loss about 'regulation' and enforcing it.
the regulation is there just not the madates or the tests which to do ...

The next paragraph STATEs the all three of the items are BY PRODUCTS of Melamine.... so nothing truly new EXCEPT now VET s have a marker to look for in there testing of individual animals...

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

the regulation is there just not the madates or the tests which to do ...

The next paragraph STATEs the all three of the items are BY PRODUCTS of Melamine.... so nothing truly new EXCEPT now VET s have a marker to look for in there testing of individual animals...
Right--regulation to some level has always been there. But the question as to what level it will be ramped up to now, and how it is enforced, and which tests will be run is raised.

Ok so it's still all about the single source melamine. But the level and path of contamination just keeps expanding. To just grains, we assume. Somewhere in the grain production. We assume.

A new day, new questions

Well I am fresh out of frustrated/angry/sad/confused Smilies.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure where to put this....but did I miss something?

Chinese authorities have told the FDA that the wheat gluten was an industrial product not meant for pet food, Stephen Sundlof, the FDA's chief veterinarian, said Thursday.
http://www.businessweek.com/ap/finan.../D8OKD4U00.htm

(last paragraph)

If it wasn't meant for pet food...what "industrial" purpose could there be for wheat gluten? Somebody help me please...

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

(last paragraph)

If it wasn't meant for pet food...what "industrial" purpose could there be for wheat gluten? Somebody help me please...
And if it was not meant for pet food why was it sold to a U.S. company that intended to sell it to pet food companies? Is this a case of miscommunication between the U.S. and Chinese companies or after the fact CYA and blame the other guy by the Chinese company?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Likely between the Chinese supplier and the US buyer it was a case of 'don't ask, don't tell', the supplier probably assumed the buyer knew what they were doing.

If that's the case, does anyone else wonder if human food makers would have resorted to a cheap source too? *warily eyeing a box of slim jims DH has on his desk...*

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

If that's the case, does anyone else wonder if human food makers would have resorted to a cheap source too? *warily eyeing a box of slim jims DH has on his desk...*
That is exactly what I'm afraid of. I'm looking closely at the ingredients on any product containing grains.

After three contaminated grains being imported from China I think the FDA should ban importation of all grain products from China. Even if U.S purchasers didn't deliberately purchase cheap products I just don't trust anything coming out of China.

mytoys2u

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been to China a few times on business ... the Chinese are concerned with making money and keeping their economy growing.

Human rights and human life isn't as valued as it is in the US ... In Tianjin China a woman was hit by a car and appeared either gravely injured or dead in the middle of the road/intersection. NOT ONE CAR STOPPED ... my driver just drove by with little more than a glance.

There was a story that I read a few years back about how towns in China are compensated for how many sterilizations that they do to women (to control the population). So, to get the money, they would even order women in their 60's to get sterilized even though they were no longer a risk.

And, animals fall much below human life there ... In Beijing, there is a restaurant near one of our old offices with a sign that read, "Hot Cat and Dog Sold Here" ... in Chinese, of course ... and this was a restaurant! No joke.

I am all for a boycott of Chinese food products. I am very worried about what gets in the US food supply ... for humans and animals ... and, I don't trust China to be forthcoming.

I have a Chinese born friend who has to really work to find out news from home (China) ... well, not just news, the truth of certain incidents. Every time she finds out about something, she starts agressively searching Chinese websites for some portion of the news before the info gets censored and/or the website shut down because it does not meet the Chinese government's official version.

Gotta love China.

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
mytoys 2u-
Nothing you say surprises me. I've read similar reports.

I guess I'll be avoiding all Chinese products for the foreseeable future.