Oh my! I almost hit a mallard duck this morning!!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Many of you maybe saw my crossing the bridge thread about the mallard duck who had been hit, and his mate was walking around all sad and lost..

Well, this morning, I was about 4 feet away from hitting one!
I had just left a stop sign and was gaining speed..looking in my rearview...I look up, and there he is!! Slowly strolling across the street in front of my car!!

I slammed on my brakes, and waited like a minute before he got all the way across.

I thank god I didn't hit him..I kind of feel like I did something for that poor dead mallard I saw the other day. I felt so good that I stopped in time...another driver may have not cared

Whew! I wonder why these ducks are walking around so much these days. Must be mating season?

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank God you didn't hit it, that would have been awful
There are ducks here everywhere because all the Subdivisions have ponds...My DH was driving home with a friend of ours following him, and DH stopped for a duck and his friend hit him from behind because it was wet and he could not stop in time...it is illegal to hit a duck here

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh dear....

I was going to post this last night, but didn't get a chance too. One brown duck (usually the female) was hit on my way home from work. I didn't hit the poor thing, but I think either the car ahead of me or the one in front of him did. Looks like he just ran over the wing since the duck was moving and triying to get off the road.

Poor duckies...they just don't understand cars...

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank goodness you saw him!

Reminds me of something that happened when I was a kid - we were all in the car driving back from town and we saw a duck with her ducklings crossing the road between the fields and the pond. Well the little ducklings were trying and trying but they couldn't get up the kerb. Mum duck was looking really flustered, her entire brood in the road and unable to climb the kerb. My dad pulled over, folded up his cardigan, and put it by the kerb... and we watched all the little ducklings use it as a step to get up onto the kerb. So sweet, and mum duck looked so relieved to get them back to the pond

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww you poor thing. I always freak out when im in the car with Tristan because there's always big groups of wood ducks on the side of the road and i worry he'll hit one. Theres more water in the puddles along the grass than in some of the dams because of the drought, so i suppose they prefer to sit there, even if its noisy and dangerous.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Many of you maybe saw my crossing the bridge thread about the mallard duck who had been hit, and his mate was walking around all sad and lost..

Well, this morning, I was about 4 feet away from hitting one!
I had just left a stop sign and was gaining speed..looking in my rearview...I look up, and there he is!! Slowly strolling across the street in front of my car!!

I slammed on my brakes, and waited like a minute before he got all the way across.

I thank god I didn't hit him..I kind of feel like I did something for that poor dead mallard I saw the other day. I felt so good that I stopped in time...another driver may have not cared

Whew! I wonder why these ducks are walking around so much these days. Must be mating season?
Good for you, that you missed. I have a problem missing squirrels almost every time I drive around this neighborhood filled with trees.

fats mcgee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's hatching season.

YUCK. We get in orphaned baby ducks at the shelter b/c they're a protected species and while I love all animals...

GROSS. They regularly make me want to vomit. The smell is horrendous. It is the ONLY thing to date that has made me gag at work (including parvo poop!)

SO, I'm glad that you didn't hit the mallard b/c that would have been sad and there would possibly be some mom-less ducklings stinking up a kennel somewhere.