On top of everything else today, here's how I spent the morning...

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So after an almost entirely sleepless night, I'm finally snoozing at 8:30 AM when the phone rings. It's a neighborlady who knows we have cats, calling to tell me that there's been a big siamese stuck on the roof of the house next door for three days now.

I wanted to say, THREE DAYS? And you're only just NOW doing something? But they're older folks, so I restrained myself.

I was up and dressed and out the door with a carrier in five minutes. The neighbor and her husband and I circumnavigated the house and finally spotted the cat lying on the edge of the roof at the back, in the shade of some trees. She watched us, but seemed lethargic and uninclined to respond to anything... which scared me silly, of course.

She wasn't really a siamese, by the way -- she did have soft fawny-taupey points, though, with medium hair, and a few tabby stripes on her face and tail. A beautiful cat, and seemingly well groomed, so I felt sure someone was wondering where she was.

The neighbors assured me that the cat did not belong to the people in this house. I asked if they had told those people about the cat, but they had not.

I studied the yard, the fence, the eaves... and concluded that there was no way I could get to the cat. So, being a traditionalist, I called the fire department!
I said, "I know it's a cliche and you probably don't have time to do this sort of thing anymore, but... there's this cat on the roof..." The fireman just started laughing and asked for the address.

I
FIREMEN!

So we end up with a huge red firetruck, a big white van, five firemen, and one animal control officer converging on this house. There's a bit of conversation on how best to go about this, and then one of the firemen turns to me and asks, "Any pets in the yard?" I tell him I don't know, and his eyes go wide. "You mean it's not your house?"

It should have been obvious to me, but I hadn't thought of it -- of course they can't go tromping around on the roof of this house without the owner's permission! And despite what the neighbors said, what if it really is their cat, and just likes it on the roof?

So the neighbors check their Christmas card list for the name of the man who owns the house, and they remember that he works at a certain school by a public pool... so I call the school district to see if they can tell me the name of the school... and I call the school to ask for the gentleman in question... and they pull him out of class and I explain the situation, and he says "Sure, go ahead."

I turn around to tell the firemen to go ahead, but they're already up there, loping along the roofline in pursuit of the fleeing cat!
Men of action, by golly -- rules can only hold 'em back so long!

So of course, the cat jumps off the roof, as cats always do when you try to catch them. None of us saw where she went, though, so we checked all around the house and then went into the back yard to make sure she wasn't trapped inside the fence. Huddled in a little house, trembling in fear, was a very old dog, apparently blind, a mix of Golden and something smaller. Poor little guy... I guess all the commotion had frightened him.

The cat was not inside the yard, and we knew she had departed the roof... so all we could do was hope she knew where home was and went there. I thanked the firemen and we all waved as they drove away. Then I said to the neighbors and the animal control officer, "I can't believe they came out to get a cat off a roof!"

The Animal Control lady said, "Well, they must have had some free time."

I nodded. "They're so great. They've been out here twice to save my father's life, too."

And they all glanced at me at the same time, and I said, "No, no, no -- my father wasn't on the roof!"

Anyway, that's how my day started, and then the Kansas Kitty came along, and my goodness, I'm ready for bed... g'night!

clixpix

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Any pictures? Of the five firemen I mean!

lsulover

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

So after an almost entirely sleepless night, I'm finally snoozing at 8:30 AM when the phone rings. It's a neighborlady who knows we have cats, calling to tell me that there's been a big siamese stuck on the roof of the house next door for three days now.

I wanted to say, THREE DAYS? And you're only just NOW doing something? But they're older folks, so I restrained myself.

I was up and dressed and out the door with a carrier in five minutes. The neighbor and her husband and I circumnavigated the house and finally spotted the cat lying on the edge of the roof at the back, in the shade of some trees. She watched us, but seemed lethargic and uninclined to respond to anything... which scared me silly, of course.

She wasn't really a siamese, by the way -- she did have soft fawny-taupey points, though, with medium hair, and a few tabby stripes on her face and tail. A beautiful cat, and seemingly well groomed, so I felt sure someone was wondering where she was.

The neighbors assured me that the cat did not belong to the people in this house. I asked if they had told those people about the cat, but they had not.

I studied the yard, the fence, the eaves... and concluded that there was no way I could get to the cat. So, being a traditionalist, I called the fire department!
I said, "I know it's a cliche and you probably don't have time to do this sort of thing anymore, but... there's this cat on the roof..." The fireman just started laughing and asked for the address.

I
FIREMEN!

So we end up with a huge red firetruck, a big white van, five firemen, and one animal control officer converging on this house. There's a bit of conversation on how best to go about this, and then one of the firemen turns to me and asks, "Any pets in the yard?" I tell him I don't know, and his eyes go wide. "You mean it's not your house?"

It should have been obvious to me, but I hadn't thought of it -- of course they can't go tromping around on the roof of this house without the owner's permission! And despite what the neighbors said, what if it really is their cat, and just likes it on the roof?

So the neighbors check their Christmas card list for the name of the man who owns the house, and they remember that he works at a certain school by a public pool... so I call the school district to see if they can tell me the name of the school... and I call the school to ask for the gentleman in question... and they pull him out of class and I explain the situation, and he says "Sure, go ahead."

I turn around to tell the firemen to go ahead, but they're already up there, loping along the roofline in pursuit of the fleeing cat!
Men of action, by golly -- rules can only hold 'em back so long!

So of course, the cat jumps off the roof, as cats always do when you try to catch them. None of us saw where she went, though, so we checked all around the house and then went into the back yard to make sure she wasn't trapped inside the fence. Huddled in a little house, trembling in fear, was a very old dog, apparently blind, a mix of Golden and something smaller. Poor little guy... I guess all the commotion had frightened him.

The cat was not inside the yard, and we knew she had departed the roof... so all we could do was hope she knew where home was and went there. I thanked the firemen and we all waved as they drove away. Then I said to the neighbors and the animal control officer, "I can't believe they came out to get a cat off a roof!"

The Animal Control lady said, "Well, they must have had some free time."

I nodded. "They're so great. They've been out here twice to save my father's life, too."

And they all glanced at me at the same time, and I said, "No, no, no -- my father wasn't on the roof!"

Anyway, that's how my day started, and then the Kansas Kitty came along, and my goodness, I'm ready for bed... g'night!
You had a very busy morning, let us know if you see the cat too.

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, what a day!!! I remember DH's parents had a cat that was stuck in a tree, and when they called the fire department (I think this was in the 80's) they said, "Well, have you ever seen a cat skeleton in a tree? She'll come down when she's hungry."

Nice to see not ALL firemen are that way.

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
wat a morning
I was laughing so hard about the part of ur dad
thats so cool tho that the firemen came out to get the kittie off of the roof, and that the guy who owns the house gave u all permission, is it really the old couples kittie? Or is it a stray or someone elses
awe poor thing, 3 days up on the roof
At least you all were able to get him/her down! but all and all it sounds like a good morning well it ended very well
for the most part, hope u see the kittie again tho

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Let us know if you see the kitty again.

The cat who lives where my DH works got up into the metal rafters. The office manager called the Fire Department who DID get him down (Thank God!), but they charged $250.00. I have to say though, the company paid it, no problem. I love to see when cats are well taken care of.

Years ago our neighbor's 2 cats were up on our roof (where I used to live) just meoooooooooing like they were stuck. I'm thinking - hmmm theres a tree that touches the house, there's a ladder leaning against the house, and the roof hangs down to about 12 feet. Why can't they get down? Of course, after awhile I felt sorry for them and climbed up and got them down. A few minutes later they were back up there! If cats could laugh...

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow that is alot of excitment for the day! You did the right thing... Cute story... I hope kitty finds her way home!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I took a short walk before bed last night and drove around the neighborhood this morning hoping to see the kitty... but I suspect she found her way home. I never saw it, but the firemen said she had a tag on. I'll take another walk tonight, with a nice smelly bowl of kittyfood in hand.

No, sorry, no pictures of the firemen! But my goodness, I must say... is there some kind of rule that they have to be gorgeous?

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

No, sorry, no pictures of the firemen! But my goodness, I must say... is there some kind of rule that they have to be gorgeous?
It's the uniform....gotta love a guy in uniform!!!

Hope the kitty has found her way back home!

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

No, but it helps!

This is an amazing feat you pulled off! Bet the cat won't go back up there any time soon

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hehehhehe sounds like a bunch of really nice guys. And yes, they DO still come and get cats off rooves and out of trees! They still do it in the UK too
Lovely to hear that the cat cmae down though. Sometimes they jsut need a little incentive. I'd say that a few big men running at me on a roof would be enough to make me jump!! (Although if they were THAT hot, I'm not sure which direction i would jump in....
)

And I agree.... firemen are seriously hot stuff!
I think it's written somewhere in their contracts - in the smallprint - that they have to be just oooooomm mm!!

pat locani

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
What a funny story! I'm not surprised that the fire department went all out.

It's nice that your neighborhood has a caring CatWoman -- you!

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What a great story! It has everything that makes an academy award winner! Interesting, beautiful maiden in distress (2 of them!), a deep plot, climactic, action pact, and an ending that is completely up to the audience! Aren't some "great elders of all knowledge" the best! It was a cat and it was on a roof, that is darn good! They could have said there is a raccoon stuck in the chimney for 6 days.........

I had a horrible 4th of july experience with my 16 year old Pandi stuck in an air vent. $ cop cars and I think they were really there for me, I was an absolute disaster! Crying and panicking, freaking out! They were more concerned about me calming down! We were at my families house and she had fallen 10 feet down an air duct. The only way to get to her was to knock out the wall and cut a hole into the duct! She had crawled in even deeper from all the banging and smashing to get to her so it took several hours and everyone to leave before I was able to entice her out with some fillet mignon on a string. She was completely fine, other then one banging headache! It was such an animal planet, animal rescues story! I even patched the vent and fixed the wall, repainted the entire dinning room, family was not upset at all, they had renovations by the time they got back!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Poor Pandi! It's just terrifying when kitties get into trouble... we're so used to them being all cool and independent...

NEWS: I saw the Rooftop Kitty tonight! We have these huge storm drains with a concrete platform just inside, and she was just coming up out of one. I stayed back and talked to her a bit, but she slipped back down inside and disappeared.

The drain is right in front of our house, though... so I put out a bowl of water and a bowl of food on our walkway, where she can see them, just in case she doesn't have a home.

If she does have owners, though... AUGH! I just don't understand how people can let their cats run loose in a place like this, with so much traffic, and not two blocks from a dog park where the dogs can run free!