kitten defecation... please help!

miissbeth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
something is wrong with my kitten. it has a habit of defecating only halfway and then just wiping himself on the floor afterwards, leaving a portion of the waste still inside him. I don't know what to do about that.

would anyone know or have an idea of what the problem might be?

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by miissbeth

something is wrong with my kitten. it has a habit of defecating only halfway and then just wiping himself on the floor afterwards, leaving a portion of the waste still inside him. I don't know what to do about that.

would anyone know or have an idea of what the problem might be?
Hello and welcome.

If he's having trouble getting the stool out, he could be constipated.

The most common reason for "scooting" on the floor after pooping is worms, though. Most kittens have them. I would suggest talking to the vet. Over the counter wormers from the pet store aren't as effective, and not safe IMO.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would consider worms too. The vet has the good stuff that isn't harmful to them like the over-the-counter wormers. Almost all kittens have worms so it is very common.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miissbeth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you! I will most definitely looke into de-worming this weekend.
anything I can do about my kitten's constipation? because apparenit is not going away.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

miissbeth

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
he is about two months old, and is already eating kitten chow. I have a second kitten, as well. she is about the same age as he is, but she has no problem getting her stool out like he does. :\\

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, now that I think about it I believe worms can cause diarrhea OR constipation...doesn't make sense on the surface, but I do believe that's the case.

I would talk to the vet. They will have something that is safe to use for deworming.

At 2 months, I would guess he was just recently weaned? That causes some digestive issues, going from mom's milk to dry chow is quite a shock to the system. Every cat handles things differently.

If you could feed him some canned kitten food, that should help considerably. Extra moisture would be a key for this issue.