Quick Fat Cat Question!

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our 11 month old kitty has weighed a good 12-14lbs since he was 9 months old. We started feeding him with an automatic feeder about 2 months ago and he is down to 11lbs. The Vet said we need to feed him even less than we are now which is 3/4 cup a day. They told us to feed him only 1/2 cup a day. I feel terrible only feeding him that much. Is that normal??

nedra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my male cats are 12 to 13 lbs. And are close to a year old. I feed them 1/3 in the morning and 1/3 in the evening and they haven't gained any weight. They are really healthy & stout too.

Also what brand of food is he on? With premium food it does take less...I would feed the amount it says on the back of the bag.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
11 months old seems young for a "diet". However, I do have a chunky 11 month old cat...so maybe you do too.
I guess the vet thinks he's overweight...does he "look" fat? He's probably still growing, too.

It does depend on the food. What is the brand, flavor, etc?

I would suggest incorporating some canned food if possible. At his age, he'll probably accept it pretty easily. It's very good for his health, and it should also seem like a big meal for him (filling!), as opposed to a quarter cup of dry food. Maybe replace one of his meals with wet food. Just a thought. It's good for weight management too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed him Naturals Purina Cat Chow. He's a pretty big cat and he does have a bit of a gut on him.

bleedforlove

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The vet has our cat on the same diet and he is fine with it he does get very hungry in the morning tho.We spread it out into 3 feedings to make him feel happyer.We feed him most of the half when we first wake up..Middle of the day almost all of whats left.Before we go to bed the slittle snack of whats left.He has lost alot of weight and will go back for a checkup soon so I'll let you know how that goes!

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EnzoLeya

I feed him Naturals Purina Cat Chow. He's a pretty big cat and he does have a bit of a gut on him.
Well, the recommended amount for that food, for a 10-14lb cat is 3/4-1 1/4 cups/day. 1/2c is the amount for a 5-9lb cat.

Recommened amounts aren't right for every cat, though...it's just a guide.

The vet must feel he's still overweight to recommend 1/2c / day.

Personally, I think there are better foods for the same or not much more $. I would look for something with more meat and less grains. A better food would be more satisfying / filling too. I still like wet food too...

I agree w/bleedforlove ...if the cat seems to be begging all day, then split the amount into 3 meals throughout the day. Then just monitor his weight and keep in touch with the vet about it.

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I forgot to say that since he has the automatic feeder he does get feed three times a day, 5am, noon, and 9pm.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
WHAT did the vet say about his wt ???

EnzoLeya

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All she said was "oh my Enzo you're a moose!" and asked us how much we were feeding him and told us that he has a lot of fat on his belly that is not supposed to be there. All she told us from there was that we need to feed him 1/2 cup of food per day. She also said the food we are feeding him is fine.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would also recommend adding wet into his diet, I find it has helped with the overweight cats I have had. Also, ignore feeding guidelines, they are generally on the high side, which makes us buy more, and vets dont always know a lot about what foods are good.