distilled water?

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
should I be buying distilled water for my kitties, especially my FLUTD cat? They have a water fountain, but should I buy them distilled? or some other type of water?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fosterkitty

should I be buying distilled water for my kitties, especially my FLUTD cat? They have a water fountain, but should I buy them distilled? or some other type of water?
I use the filtered water from the fridge. (They like cool water, too.) But, most people do not change their filter every six months. I DO. I always want to give my cats the same, safe water that I drink.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
hehe, I assume my fridge has a filter, but I have never changed it...but we also don't use it. I refuse to drink water unless it comes from a bottle. Soo, that being said, I guess distilled water is the safest, because they add stuff to spring water and things like that, don't they?

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by fosterkitty

hehe, I assume my fridge has a filter, but I have never changed it...but we also don't use it. I refuse to drink water unless it comes from a bottle. Soo, that being said, I guess distilled water is the safest, because they add stuff to spring water and things like that, don't they?
Yes, you cannot go wrong with distilled water. (If you have lots of money, you could even use Evian.) I even put it in the radiator of my car (distilled) because it will not corrode like regular water.

BTW, I read an article about how many people are sick because they are not changing the filter in their fridge.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Distilled water is DEVOID of naturally occuring minerals thus the PH is changed ... Filtered water IS A FAR better choice ... Distilled could in theroy lead to mineral defciencys

ilovemy2cats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Distilled water is DEVOID of naturally occuring minerals thus the PH is changed ... Filtered water IS A FAR better choice ... Distilled could in theroy lead to mineral defciencys
That's what I was going to say. In my issue of Bird Talk magazine, they said (for birds at least) never used distilled water for that reason. Filtered, spring or tap (if it's good) is the best.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I only use distilled water in my steam iron. I wouldn't use it for the kitties. I do however buy bottled spring water for them as I just don't trust tap water.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I only use distilled water in my steam iron. I wouldn't use it for the kitties. I do however buy bottled spring water for them as I just don't trust tap water.
Spring is great
wish I could easily get it bottled here

whiskerynature

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We don't trust the water tap water (who knows how old the pipes are in apt bldgs). We get Poland Spring water delivered (I drink water faster than I can filter using those Pur/Brita filters) -- delivery is only a couple more cents per gallon than lugging bottles from the store, too.

Our two guys have a Petmate fountain and Catit fountain -- both have filters -- and we fill it with the Poland Spring water...so it's always nice and clean and cool for them!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I knew it was bad for reptiles and amphibians, that it can actually leech minerals from them. It makes sense that it would be true for every other animal too.

Not all bottled water is better. Every bottling company and public water supply is tested. In some cases tap water is better then some bottled. The main reason bottled water sells is because no one likes the chlorine taste that some tap has.
We have a cold water filter on the kitchen tap, and the filters are changed regularly. This way it can be used for drinking, cooking, and watering various animals and plants.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Persi & Alley

Yes, you cannot go wrong with distilled water. (If you have lots of money, you could even use Evian.) I even put it in the radiator of my car (distilled) because it will not corrode like regular water.

BTW, I read an article about how many people are sick because they are not changing the filter in their fridge.
We don't use the water or ice maker in our fridge...never have, so I don't worry about getting sick.

Ok, so the general consensus is to get filtered water? No distilled? I thought spring water had minerals and things added to it that may or may not be great for cats, especially one with UTI's.

chromodactyl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
kitten only drinks volvic or evian if i cant get the former-In fact no kidding,she was the one that insisted.her water bowl would be full,she would mew and then kick over my water bottle waiting for the contents.I learnt to put the lid on(carpet getting spoilt)and she would knock the bottle over and wait for water to come out.when it didnt, the little angel would cry-hence she only gets bottled-hence her name of princess

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It would never occur to me to drink distilled water, or give it to my cats. I used to use it for my plants (I don't even remember why).

I get bottled water for them and for me. I have a brita pitcher too, and a filtered fountain for them. The tap water is yucky.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I only drink distilled water, it is the best water you can put in your body and it does not leech minerals out of your body.[http://www.durastill.com/myths.html
Here is a link to the myths about it, and if you can find anything negative about drinking it, that is not posted by a water filtration sales page, please post it here. I would like to see it. I have been drinking primarily distilled water for over 20 years.

I Start out the morning with a big glass to cleanse my system. I imagine it would be great for the kitties, as well, but I am dumping and refilling the water dishes several times a day, as Fang only likes fresh,so it would be far too expensive. I buy it by the gallon at the grocery store.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would be sensible and look at the content of your tap water. If you live in a hard water area, then I would not give that to cats, or drink it myself, as the calcium would be very bad for everyone. If you are in a soft water area, or actually have filtered spring water in the tap ( as I do, with some added chlorine), then it is as safe or safer than most bottled varieties.

ashley45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Utah water is disgusting, so I give Moses water out of the fridge. (it has a filter.) I wont drink tap water because its so gross, so I don't think he should either.

marsch21

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We have fountains and use bottled purified water. We have good water here but the minerals collect on the fountain. It is so much easier to clean with the bottled water.

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by gailuvscats

I only drink distilled water, it is the best water you can put in your body and it does not leech minerals out of your body.[http://www.durastill.com/myths.html
Here is a link to the myths about it, and if you can find anything negative about drinking it, that is not posted by a water filtration sales page, please post it here. I would like to see it. I have been drinking primarily distilled water for over 20 years.

I Start out the morning with a big glass to cleanse my system. I imagine it would be great for the kitties, as well, but I am dumping and refilling the water dishes several times a day, as Fang only likes fresh,so it would be far too expensive. I buy it by the gallon at the grocery store.
I drink distilled water, too. This is also what my cats drink. I also make my coffee and tea with distilled water and I have been drinking it for many years, too.

touro1979

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I put only distilled water in my two drinkwell fountains. I had never even thought to do this but my vet said she did it for her cats so I thought it must be ok. She said they dont need any minerals from water because everything they need comes from their food. they seem to like it. It also makes it easier to clean the fountains because there are no mineral deposits. Before it was a real pain due to all the minerals.