Cat treats....

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, so I was just curious as to what other people are buying their cats for treats! I have been giving my PHX some of the Pounce that they sell. But I think he's getting sick of it so I want to switch it up every once in a while.

If you could please list what you buy, how much it costs, if its nutritial for them, what store do you get it from.. and whether or not your cats like it! Thank You!

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I give them dry food as treats. I pick a different one each time...or use the free samples.
Right now it's Nature's Variety Raw Instinct, 4.4lbs for $11. It's nutritious, and they like it.
You wouldn't ever know it was "just" dry food, they go nuts for a few pieces. I get it at a small local, independent pet food store.

I use Pill Pocket treats for pills. They work great, and the cats love them. Nutritious...eh, sort of. The 1st ingredient is real meat...we won't discuss the rest. LOL They're pricey, avg. $9 for 45 treats, but it sure beats pilling them.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not recommend using Pounce as they have one treat product on the recall ( i just do not trust them right now ). So i think it's wodnerful you're looking into other treat options. Today I picked up "Wildside Salmon" treats - it's compltely safe from all that recall stuff and the ONLY ingredient is 100% raw wild salmon
They make it for cats and dogs. What i actually did (since there's only one ingredient- the only different in the cat and dog treats are the size) was i bought the dog ones (they did not carry the cat ones but will order it for me if i like the product
) and i gave one to each dog, then pinched off a small piece for the kitties- HUGE hit!!!
They LOVE it and i feel great knowing there is only one ingredient and it's safe!!!
(At first i thought the price was a little expensive (about $4 for the small package of dog treats- but when i thought about it- i can use it for both my cats and dogs so it's really not expensive at all!!!
) You can also buy it online as well. I will be getting it from my local pet store, Hollywood Pet Star because they are WONDERFUL and really go out of their way to make sure the pet foods in their store are safe (not recalled) and are very helpfull. They recently ordered a huge shippment of kitten food for me and only charge retail for it- no other fees for ordering it. So anything i need pet food wise- i just ask them and they order it for me- so i will definitely be getting it at the store to avoid shipping charges online..so if you have a local pet store like that, maybe try ordreing through the store if they don't carry it in stock. I was very happy with the new treats

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I give mine Pounce as a treat on a rare occasion. They also get the occasional "people food", small bites of meat and veggies. Tabitha is obsessed with salad and cottage cheese so she gets a little of that whenever I do!

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well blue only likes pounce she doesnt like the hard dry treats so to speak so she gets her own! And Stormie and Bella had Nutro Max Cat Gourmet Kitty crunchy treats but their all time favorite ecs bella (she rips the bag open if i leave it out) is Whiska Temptations creamy dairy flavour! Now since I read that and had ot move the bag I am getting that look (mind u bella was in a deep deep sleep
)

littleraven7726

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i was using FF gourmet gold, but until everything with the recalls settle down i'm not using those. i picked up some innova evo, 2.2 lbs for $5, and am using that as treats. i also have samples of blue buffalo adult(not recalled) i can use if i run out. i just put it in the same FF jar i use for the gourmet gold, and everyone's happy.

i would use just the tuna flakes or freeze dried treats, but stimpy only likes the crunchy kind of treats. i like using kibble instead of regular treats because it's smaller in size--i don't have to worry so much about them getting too much in addition to their regular diet.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I chose a long time ago to go with single protein treats with nothing added, and boy howdy am I glad I did.

Wildside Salmon - excellent freeze-dried salmon
The line of cat treats by Grandma Lucys - they have their own kitchen and packaging facility, an excellent small business run by the owners who are accessible...they offer lobster (!), ocean white fish, tuna, liver (chicken liver), roasted chicken, mahi mahi...they purchase for the human market grade ingredients only.

Whole Life Pet Treats - offers cod, chicken, turkey (in small cubes), liver (beef, in bigger cubes, you'd probably want to cut these).

Kitty Kaviar - the original flaked fish treat, made from Bonito, a kind of tuna.

SmartyKat ShrimpNip - shrimp w/organic catnip

There are more, these are favs. All will be available in your better small mom and pop or small chain upscale pet stores, and via various online vendors.

wmarcello

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would also not recommend Pounce because of the recall. I can't trust 100% that only one flavor was contaminated. Also, I've read some places that these semi-moist treats aren't good for an animal. Anybody have any thoughts on that?

Lately I've also been feeding freeze-dried salmon as their main treats. Very stinky stuff, but they absolutely love it! I haven't seen the "Wildside Salmon" brand around here where I live, but our Pets Unlimited has something similar. Pure salmon and nothing else.

Salmon Snacks by Snack 21

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm looking for a kibble kind of treat that doesn't have any of the glutens (wheat, rice, or corn). I need cruchy kibble type, because Swanie's favorite game is to crouch on the stairs in the morning and "stalk" the kibble I throw to him. I was using Royal Canin, switched to Fancy Feast Gold because of recall issues, but that has corn gluten so it's in the trash. I had Nutro at one point, but I can't remember why I got rid of it.

It seems like every kind of "junk" food out there has corn gluten or ground corn or other stuff implicated in the recall. Swanie thanks you all for your help

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

It seems like every kind of "junk" food out there has corn gluten or ground corn or other stuff implicated in the recall. Swanie thanks you all for your help
Did they already give 2 paws down to the grain free kibble choices? I think you said something about that, but I can't remember.

My cats go nuts for Solid Gold dry food. Grain-wise, it has millet, brown rice, and cracked pearl barley. Hmm.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I'm looking for a kibble kind of treat that doesn't have any of the glutens (wheat, rice, or corn). I need cruchy kibble type, because Swanie's favorite game is to crouch on the stairs in the morning and "stalk" the kibble I throw to him. I was using Royal Canin, switched to Fancy Feast Gold because of recall issues, but that has corn gluten so it's in the trash. I had Nutro at one point, but I can't remember why I got rid of it.

Try this then...Pet Guard Purrlicious Organic Tartar Control Treats, here are the ingredients:
Organic Chicken, Organic Brown Rice, Organic Oatmeal, Organic Barley, Organic Apple Fiber, Dried Eggs, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Organic Sunflower Oil, Fish Oil, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, L-Lysine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Vitamin A Supplement, Ergocalciferol (Source of Vitamin D2), Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (Source of Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine (Source of Vitamin B1), Biotin, Niacin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Calcium Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite.

Sorry,need my first cup of coffee...it has no glutens as in wheat or corn etc., it does have grains including rice.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

Did they already give 2 paws down to the grain free kibble choices? I think you said something about that, but I can't remember.

My cats go nuts for Solid Gold dry food. Grain-wise, it has millet, brown rice, and cracked pearl barley. Hmm.
Two paws way down to the Wellness Core. Haven't gotten the others yet to try. I wish I could find Orijen somewhere.

Solid Gold has garlic (which I avoid). But thanks.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

Try this then...Pet Guard Purrlicious Organic Tartar Control Treats, here are the ingredients:
Organic Chicken, Organic Brown Rice, Organic Oatmeal, Organic Barley, Organic Apple Fiber, Dried Eggs, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Organic Sunflower Oil, Fish Oil, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, L-Lysine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Vitamin A Supplement, Ergocalciferol (Source of Vitamin D2), Vitamin E Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement (Source of Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Thiamine (Source of Vitamin B1), Biotin, Niacin, Folic Acid, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Calcium Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Sodium Selenite.
Thanks ... I will consider this one. Sometimes the organic stuff doesn't go over too well with them tho ..

luxum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Elvirah likes the Kitty Kaviar bonito flakes (although she wouldn't touch until she saw me try some, lol - it's pretty tasty!), and she also likes the Halo freeze dried chicken treats. She especially likes it when i put her dose of salmon oil on the freeze dried treat and let it soak in a bit.

But both are off-limits for the next couple of months until the allergy food trial is complete.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Two paws way down to the Wellness Core. Haven't gotten the others yet to try. I wish I could find Orijen somewhere.

Solid Gold has garlic (which I avoid). But thanks.
Hmm...I think the ingredients in Solid Gold have been changed at some point. The ingredients listing at Pet Food Direct shows garlic and a few other things...but the listing at solidgoldhealth.com doesn't. My sample bag agrees with their site.

http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/produ...?id=4&code=130