My cat has a UTI and crystals in his urine.

caita(tm)?'scats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat Squeaky just recently went to the vet because he was peeing blood and when it was a normal color yellow, it was still in small amounts. A few drops here and there. He was also licking his gentitals excessively. Squeaky was also peeing in unusual places. When we brought him to the vet, they told me that he had a UTI and crystals in his urine. The vet prescribed him a special medication that I have to give him daily for two weeks. That was for his UTI. The doctor also said that he has to eat a special prescription food for the rest of his life to dissolve the crystals in his urine. Even though he gets his medication daily, and eats his special food everyday, he still has been urinating in unusual places. I'm not sure if this is because his UTI or the crystals in his urine. I'm not sure what to do, or if it will stop when his UTI goes away and his crystals. What should I do? Do you think that he will stop when his crystals and UTI go away. Or will I have to train him all over again?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Did you get new cat litter and cat boxes??

I would suggest that and using CAT ATTRACT litter for a while

as for the food some need it for life others can go to something else .... a second opnion is a good thing

WELCOME TO TCS

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How long has he had the meds? It takes a few days to work. I've been through it with Summer. Is he going in the same area? Nature's Miracle may help. Also, don't forget to take him in for a re-check once the meds are up to make sure everything is cleared up. Hope he feels better soon.

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
confine him in a room with his litter box, food and a bed. Cat attract litter works great. Keep him in the room until he starts to use the litterbox normally, the start letting him out more and more. Find all the places that he peed and make sure you clean them very well with an enzymatic cleaner. If he can still smell his pee, he will continue to go there, sick or not. Black lights work great to find spots you didn't know were there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

caita(tm)?'scats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
sofiecusion
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
No he has been peeing almost everywhere. I usually notice it right by his litter box. Hes been on the medication for four days.
sharky
No I haven't got any new litter boxes. Although just the day before I brought him to the vet, I had to use different litter because I had ran out of his regular kind. This kind seemed to get stuck in his paws which was irritating him. The vet had also told me that since his crystals were severe, he has to be on the special diet for life, preventing him from getting a blockage.
fosterkitty
Okay thank you for the suggestion. I don't think that I will use Cat Attract litter because I'm afraid that it might add to the problem, if hes not used to it. I will try confining him in a room though. Thank you. Ohh and the blacklight is a wonderful idea for finding cat urine I never thought of that before. Also what cleaner is good for a job like this?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Get new boxes and do a google search on UTIs and crystals

fosterkitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Simple Solution is a good one, as is Urine-off. Seriously, think about the cat attract litter. I have 6 finicky cats and I put the cat attract litter in the 2 upstairs boxes, and left the regular litter in the 5 downstairs boxes, and for 3 days straight no one touched the downstairs boxes and I had 6 cats fighting for the 2 boxes with cat attract. Something in it makes cats go crazy over it. It won't hurt, trust me.

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would add extra litterboxes and see if that helps. Keep the boxes as clean as you can. Maybe try different types to see if he prefers a certain style. Also mix some of the cat attract litter with the old at first, that may help.

Summer has to be on special food too. She's had re-curring UTI's. It's miserable I know. However, she only urinated outside the box when she had a UTI. She had crystals a few times too. I had to switch vets a year and a half ago when we moved and I am glad we found one that has specialized in cats only for over 20 years! I am glad because my old vet never did a urinalysis, just a stick test.

caita(tm)?'scats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sofiecusion
Thank you for the great idea. I think that Cat Attract litter may work. My cat's are very stubborn when it comes to litter. I have been reading up on Cat Attract litter and it seems like a very good litter to use. I'm sorry about Summer. How is she doing now? I hope shes better. My vet conducted a urinalysis to test if he had any thing wrong in his urinary tract. That's when they found the crystals. I was worried about him at first, because I had though he got kidney faliure.

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cait~~

All excellent suggestions.

Did the vet explain what kind of crystals were present?

A life time sentence of script food isn't always the case.

One of my boys had struvite crystals. Round of abx and Hills' script c/d for a stretch. He has been fine since (though I am always on the look out because utis have a nasty recurrance rate, some more than others).

You can maintain his health with lots of water drinking, as least stress as possible, and a diet that meets his needs (not necessarily prescription).

Talk to your vet about what foods can replace and/or rotate. There are good premium, even mid range diets that can meet these needs. But it does depend on which crystals your cat developed. Utis can be easily managed but once one starts it's vital to be aware of signs & symptoms as they can lead to fatal blockages, fast. Know your cat and his habits well

Some easy reading:

http://www.peteducation.com/article....articleid=1188

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/urin...infection.html

http://www.paws-and-effect.com/pawsandeffect152.html

I am sure the litter issues will resolve with some patience and creativity. It may take some retraining to an extent, and definitely look into the enzymatic cleaners. They aren't going to break the bank and make a huge difference. Regular household cleaners can actually exacerbate inappropriate elimination.

Cat Attract litter has been a godsend for many cat households, btw

caita(tm)?'scats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Jpawz
My cat developed the same type of crystals your cat had. Struvite crystals. They are very severe my vet told me. He recommended that I stick with the prescription diet but said that I could continue feeding him regular food, but it could cause another blockage in the future, this one much worse. Right now my cat is on s/d to start off to dissolve most of the crystals and then he has to move on to c/d. I think I may just keep him on the presciption diet because I don't want him to get another UTI or blockage. Also thank you for the websites!

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You've gotten some good advice. I'll just add that after just 4 days, he probably still has some discomfort, so you can probably still hope for some improvement in his habits. The new and extra boxes, and the cat attract litter are still good ideas, though.

From my experience, the most effective prescription urinary food is the wet version...regardless of whether it's Hills, Waltham's, etc.
If you can get the wet, and get him to eat it...that will help a lot. I hope he feels better soon.

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Cait♥'sCats

Jpawz
My cat developed the same type of crystals your cat had. Struvite crystals. They are very severe my vet told me. He recommended that I stick with the prescription diet but said that I could continue feeding him regular food, but it could cause another blockage in the future, this one much worse. Right now my cat is on s/d to start off to dissolve most of the crystals and then he has to move on to c/d. I think I may just keep him on the presciption diet because I don't want him to get another UTI or blockage. Also thank you for the websites!
No problem; I have a vested interest in this topic as well so I understand your concerns.

I had this other link saved too; it's very detailed and if you scroll far down it gets into struvite vs oxalate as well.

http://www.iamscompanybreeders.com/b...&articleID=226

Your little guy may have been more progressed than mine was; hence your vet's concern. Canned wet cat food is also key in cats with utis and crystal history. I still use the Hill's c/d dry and canned. But I also pay careful attention to all cat food composition, and found alternatives with more actual animal protein. You do what works best for your cat--there is no real right or wrong.

It can get confusing but keep in mind that when it comes to cat urine, alkaline pH allows struvite crystals to form more quickly; acidic pH allows calcium oxalate crystals to form more quickly.

The magnesium level in a cat's diet -- When certain cats consume dietary magnesium, byproducts form in the urine which help to produce struvite crystals.

Male cats are more prone to blockages due to their more narrow, bottlenecked urethra (can invite crystal build up).

Here's another quick link: http://www.strongpets.com/catuti.php

Keep us posted!

sofiecusion

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Sofiecusion
Thank you for the great idea. I think that Cat Attract litter may work. My cat's are very stubborn when it comes to litter. I have been reading up on Cat Attract litter and it seems like a very good litter to use. I'm sorry about Summer. How is she doing now? I hope shes better. My vet conducted a urinalysis to test if he had any thing wrong in his urinary tract. That's when they found the crystals. I was worried about him at first, because I had though he got kidney faliure.
Summer had struvite crystals as well. She did fine on Hills c/d. However, when we got Chevy, he was very sensitive to it. I tried it again last month (only a teaspoon mixed in) and it affected him badly! She's been on Purina St/Ox and nutro max for now. Chevy's tummy is ok so far too.

Can I order Waltham's online?

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sofiecusion

Summer had struvite crystals as well. She did fine on Hills c/d. However, when we got Chevy, he was very sensitive to it. I tried it again last month (only a teaspoon mixed in) and it affected him badly! She's been on Purina St/Ox and nutro max for now. Chevy's tummy is ok so far too.

Can I order Waltham's online?
I think there are a couple places online where you can get Rx food, but I believe they need a faxed prescription from your vet. The Waltham's is called Urinary SO.

caita(tm)?'scats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
beandip
Is it hard to get cats to switch to wet food? Sophie and Squeaky have never tried wet food. I have heard that it does work more effectively than dry food, but I'm not sure that they'll like it? Has anyone else ever had this problem? Thank you for your advice bean dip.

Jpawz
Thank you for this website as well. The food that I have him on now is Hills S/D and then I have to move on to Hills C/D. Both of them are dry. Do these foods have a high magnesium level? Also does Purina Indoor Formula have a lot of Magnesium, because before I had found he was forming crystals in his urine and had UTI, he was eating PIF. If I keep him on the dry food prescription diet, is he more likely not to develop a UTI again and crystals? Or if I switch him to wet food will that help prevent those two things even more than the dry?
sofiecusion
My cat will be on c/d as well as soon as he finishes the bag of s/d. They are both by Hill's, the same kind you had. My other cat Sophie is eating the same food as well. So far it doesn't seem to have affected her. Is it bad if both cats are on the same food? I'm glad that Chevy is alright.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

beandip
Is it hard to get cats to switch to wet food? Sophie and Squeaky have never tried wet food. I have heard that it does work more effectively than dry food, but I'm not sure that they'll like it? Has anyone else ever had this problem? Thank you for your advice bean dip.

It depends on the cat. It is worth the trouble to get them turned on to canned food IMO. I like this site...it has a lot of info about wet food, in addition to some tips on switching.

www.catinfo.org

Besides everything that she says there, I would add that I prefer a plate for wet food...a lot of cats don't like a bowl for wet food...it's too messy for them that way. If you can't get them to take a bite, then you can try offering it on your finger, or a spoon, and/or put a few kibbles or treats on top of the wet...push them in a bit so they have to dig them out. Sometimes cats don't even recognize the wet as food...getting them to try it is half the battle.

If you're free feeding the dry, I would suggest switching to meals if you are going to try and get them to eat wet. Then when it's time for a meal, they are hungry and more likely to at least try the wet. If they absolutely won't eat it, you can always fall back on the dry as their "meal". It takes some work and experimentation. Well worth it, though...IMO. We switched to an all wet diet...it wasn't easy but I'm real happy with the results.

The wet s/d formula is not particularly tasty...but you could try. I don't know if it will make a very good first impression on them, though. When it comes time to switch to c/d, I would suggest trying the wet varieties of it. The wet c/d with chicken was the most liked one here in my household.

caita(tm)?'scats

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
beandip
Thank you for your methods on feeding them wet food.
I think that after Squeaky is done with his bag of dry C/D I will switch him to wet. Thank you for the website. Also I was wondering, is it better to feed them at specific times, like some people do with their pets?

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

beandip
Thank you for your methods on feeding them wet food.
I think that after Squeaky is done with his bag of dry C/D I will switch him to wet. Thank you for the website. Also I was wondering, is it better to feed them at specific times, like some people do with their pets?
Yes, I think specific mealtimes are good. Some get along fine being free fed, but I have come to appreciate meal times. I think it will help in your transition to wet food, too. They will eagerly await the next meal.