When does a cat normally stop growing?

jujubee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
or does the growing just slow down at a certain age?
I've seen some big cats at the shelter, not fat just big. Twinkle's getting tall all of the sudden, so I started wondering. . . .

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JuJubee

or does the growing just slow down at a certain age?
I've seen some big cats at the shelter, not fat just big. Twinkle's getting tall all of the sudden, so I started wondering. . . .
I think it is probably different for various cats. It appears that Persi has quit growing at ten months of age at a weight of 11 pounds.
He has kept that weight for two months now so I assume that is it.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It depends on the body type and (where applicable!) breed or breed mix. Refined/delicate body types tend to finish growing a lot younger (Radar had his last growth spurt at 8 months and has only grown a little since then), whereas a big boned cat like a Maine Coon may not be full grown until it is more than 2 years old.

ETA: I should point out since I used him as an example that Radar is a small, fine-boned cat and seems to have topped out at around 7 1/2 lbs.

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say normally around the year to year and a half mark they will regulate and stay a certain weight. Cats can however gain weight throughout their lives based on diet and excercise.

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree.

My cats are a year old and I think are done growing. I've known other cats (usually cobby breeds) to continue growing past their first year mark.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jujubee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Maybe Twinkle just had a last minute growth spurt, she's going to be petite then. I will try to post a picture, if i can figure out how.

catlover19

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Milo stopped growing around a year. Zebra hasn't grown since she was about 4 months old. I have pictures taken from the summer after I got her (she was born in May) and she looks exactly the same as she does now.

redneckprincess

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well let's see, my cat is a huge fur ball, so sometimes it is hard to tell what is going on underneath all that fur, but I am pretty sure she is either big boned, or part main coon. She hasn't reached her first birthday yet and she is 12 pounds (just weighed her today) stumbled upon this thread because I am wondering when she will stop gaining weight, so I will know when she's maxed out/how much more time she has to grow. Because she is already BIG! Twelve pounds, plus furry adds to make a huge cat.

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
British Shorthairs reach full maturity at 3 to 5 years, it's the same with Maine Coones and Ragdolls. 

mishventurer

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is it mean that I hope my kitty grows into a big fatty? Fat cats are super adorable. But not overweight.