Purina States they will be testing for melamine

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Just thought this was interesting.

"We also want you to know that our already rigorous evaluation and food safety program for our raw materials has been reviewed and enhanced to now detect melamine. Despite the fact that melamine is a completely foreign substance to food and should not be found in wheat gluten, we are now testing every lot of wheat gluten received for the presence of this contaminant. Further, we are implementing additional technology to further screen our pet food ingredients."

It's off their front page of their site

http://www.purina.com

ETA; Their statements on RPC
Updated FAQs – April 19, 2007

Do you use rice protein concentrate in any of your products?

No. Nestlé Purina PetCare Company does not use rice protein concentrate in any of its U.S. or Canadian pet food products.

Do you source any other ingredients from the Chinese supplier of the rice protein concentrate in question?

No.

Where do you source rice used in Purina brand pet foods?

All rice used in Purina brand pet foods is sourced from North America.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I hope they really do. Purina is what the shelter here feeds. I cannot imagine what would happen if the purina cat, kitten, dog, or puppy chow was affected.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I hope they really do. Purina is what the shelter here feeds. I cannot imagine what would happen if the purina cat, kitten, dog, or puppy chow was affected.
I totally understand. TBH we were purina feeders here for decades..

kateliza

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I thought they would be testing or something because the article lists where the five manufacturers who bought the rice protein are and it said two were in Missouri. Purina is in Missouri (along with Diamond who packages Natural Balance).

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At this pt anyone feeding any food with grain should be worried

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

At this pt anyone feeding any food with grain should be worried
I don't know what to do!! If purina starts having problems, I am NOT going to feed it to PHX! I don't know what is even safe to feed him at this point
I'm just trying to do what's best. So far he's ok, so we'll stick with purina until i hear more!! PLEASE KEEP ME POSTED!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kateliza

I thought they would be testing or something because the article lists where the five manufacturers who bought the rice protein are and it said two were in Missouri. Purina is in Missouri (along with Diamond who packages Natural Balance).
Does purina have a manufacturing plant there?

i do know in an article i read purina stated they did not use rice protein concentrate in their foods.

"Along with Diamond, pet-food makers NestlÃ[emoji]169[/emoji] Purina PetCare and Procter & Gamble said Tuesday that they don't use rice protein concentrate in their foods."

http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...d_N.htm?csp=34

pookie-poo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always had the utmost confidence feeding my girls Purina brand foods. They all eat the prescription Purina NF canned food for kidney failure, and Hills k/d canned food for kidney failure. They also get some Fancy Feast (also made by Purina) as a treat in the evening. I have (so far) felt like we were pretty safe from the recalled food nightmare. I sincerely hope that Puina institutes a higher screening policy for their food ingredients. This is so terribly frightening for us all!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Aaaaah, I feed Trout ProPlan...should I be worried? I thought Purina wasn't on the list?
I think we're all worried about all foods. Pro Plan has...wheat gluten....so I discontinued feeding it after the first recall.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I think we're all worried about all foods. Pro Plan has...wheat gluten....so I discontinued feeding it after the first recall.
DITTO ... I am concerned about all commercial food

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
well, hopefully they have had high levels of testing to begin with and nothing will be wrong with their food.....this is what stoli is on right now.....dammit. why couldn't the food industry actually CARE about the product they produce.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

OMG. Are there symptoms I should be looking for?
Anything out of the ordinary. Kidney failure seems to be one thing the foods are causing.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am SOOOO glad i just switched my kitties off of Purina after all this recall scare. I am very worried though about or shelter aniamls- our shelter runs off of donations and we try our best to toss out recalled food and keep up with everything, but some stuff has been recalled at different times, so it worries me. i hope none of them get sick.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Anything out of the ordinary. Kidney failure seems to be one thing the foods are causing.
Do you think cats could get sick and not even show signs of illness? Or do you think they will always show some sort of a sign? Maybe someone could make a list of things that would show that your cat is suffering specifically from this stupid pet food recall?

I'm starting to get worried about all of this pet food recall thing. I have PHX on purina and so far so good.... but you never know

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok so I've been diggin around some for more information about what to look for:

If a pet owner suspects their pet has been exposed to a recalled food, what symptoms should they watch for?

Some of the reports have been mentioning pets showing symptoms of vomiting, lethargy and unwillingness to eat. Kidney failure is a very serious condition and can affect cats or dogs. It can develop rapidly or take place over a long period of time. Symptoms include an increased water intake, increased volumes of urination, anorexia, vomiting and lethargy. If they see any of those signs, they should take their pet to the veterinarian as soon as they can.

The big things are just to check their foods, see if it's on the recall list or not. If it's not, don't worry. If it is, switch the foods. Any pet showing symptoms needs to be checked out. If they are eating those foods, you need to tell your vet that they are eating those foods.

*If you want more information about pet food recall I found these website very useful:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/US/st...2960127&page=1

http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/petfood.html

stormy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From reading the article it seems to me that Purina will be testing as a precautionary measure...they don't state there are any problems other than the Mighty Dog food.

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I would bring her to the vet anyway if she was vomitting...so I think I would catch any symptoms quick.

:censor::censor::censor::censor:, this is scary.