EMERGENCY: Anyone around southeast Kansas?

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You may have noticed Catloverin_KS's thread yesterday about this kitty:

http://www.sekmarketplace.com/sekm/C...Lstng3351.html

She contacted the owner and learned that she was planning to have the cat put to death if she couldn't find a home for her. So I started searching online and by phone, and I finally found a shelter in Pittsburg, KS that said they could let the kitty join their no-cage, no-kill cat room! What luck!

But now we need a way to get the kitty down there. She's in Cherryvale, KS, and the shelter is in Pittsburg, about 90 minutes away. Is there anyone in the area there that could help?

If all else fails, I'll have to drive up there myself -- but that's a round trip of over 800 miles, and I'd have to borrow gas money from my folks... and I'm not sure my 12-year-old car would make it, either.

So if you know anyone in SE Kansas or NE Oklahoma who might be willing to give this kitty a ride, please let me know! Many thanks for reading...

____
EDIT: I have to go offline for a few hours, but will check as soon as I get back.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is there any way that the rescue can help arrange a rescue train? Have you spoke to the rescue about getting the kitty to them?

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't have any suggestions, but I do have thoughts and prayers for the poor kitty and all of you who are helping.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CarolPetunia

You may have noticed Catloverin_KS's thread yesterday about this kitty:

http://www.sekmarketplace.com/sekm/C...Lstng3351.html

She contacted the owner and learned that she was planning to have the cat put to death if she couldn't find a home for her. So I started searching online and by phone, and I finally found a shelter in Pittsburg, KS that said they could let the kitty join their no-cage, no-kill cat room! What luck!

But now we need a way to get the kitty down there. She's in Cherryvale, KS, and the shelter is in Pittsburg, about 90 minutes away. Is there anyone in the area there that could help?

If all else fails, I'll have to drive up there myself -- but that's a round trip of over 800 miles, and I'd have to borrow gas money from my folks... and I'm not sure my 12-year-old car would make it, either.

So if you know anyone in SE Kansas or NE Oklahoma who might be willing to give this kitty a ride, please let me know! Many thanks for reading...

____
EDIT: I have to go offline for a few hours, but will check as soon as I get back.
Contact the media in the area and have them air the cat's plight on the television....and also let their neighbours know what butt dots those people are!!!!

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Contact the media in the area and have them air the cat's plight on the television....and also let their neighbours know what butt dots those people are!!!!

And hopefully the media will poo-poo the current owner's thought process. I wish I could help, but I am too far away

Some people...

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wait a minute....Declawed, all four feet....and it needs an OUTSIDE home? I don't get it.

Many good thoughts for this sweet lovely to find a home soon...

Hilda>^..^<

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's obvious to me that they have no idea how to treat a cat. Either that or else they are insane because no one in their right mind would let a cat outside who has been declawed on all four paws. If I were closer I would definitely take her in but alas, I'm too far away
. How could someone even think of euthanizing such a beautiful cat?

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That makes me sick, I wish I could do it! I hope that someone can help. Can the owner hang on until something is arranged? How awful. Sending good vibes.

catsrnmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, how awful! Many good vibes to this kitty and to anyone who could help. Carol Petunia, if in fact you are the one to have to go and get it, travel safe and huge hugs to you for doing this..

eilcon

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sending lots of vibes for this sweet kitty and everyone involved in trying to get her to safety.
I'm praying that it all works out.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello again -- all your good thoughts for our effort are so much appreciated! (And thank you for bumping this up and taking it to Catster, Alley! Good thinking!)

There's still no word on anyone who could do the run, so I'm hoping we have some other Kansas members who will see this tonight.

I did have another idea, too: there actually is a shelter in Independence, which is conveniently between Cherryvale and Pittsburg, but it has a high kill rate, so that's why the kitty can't go there. However, it finally dawned on me that there might be a staff member or volunteer at that shelter who would take the kitty to Pittsburg for us! I'll call in the morning and see about that.

There's also a rescue group in Chanute that I can try, but they're a bit north of the area, so it wouldn't be as easy a trip for them. I'll try them, though, if no one turns up at the Independence shelter.

I hate to broadcast a public plea for help, because you never know what sort of person might respond to it. At least with people who are already involved in animal care, you know they honestly have the kitty's welfare at heart... so I'd rather do it myself than turn the kitty over to just anybody, y'know?

I'm still hoping someone comes through -- but I'm counting up the coins in my change jar, too!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Back again -- Momofmany is an absolute angel!
It would be a long drive for her, too, all the way from Kansas City, but she's willing to do it if we don't find anyone closer.

So we're still hoping someone closer to the Cherryvale-Pittsburg area will turn up and save Momofmany a long trip... but at least we know this kitty will be in a safe place soon.

rubsluts'mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just joined a cat transport email group... well, I have to get approved first... but if you can hold on a bit, and i get approved, I'll see if anyone there can help. I'd offer, but I'm way too far away (Oregon). I'd been on another list before about rescue... but apparently i unsubbed some time back and just forgot I did.

Is there any way to take her from this person and then get transport/home? I mean, she's going to find a home regardless...

A.

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by RubSluts'Mommy

Is there any way to take her from this person and then get transport/home? I mean, she's going to find a home regardless...

A.
That's the problem. She is living at the current owner's house and they haven't found anyone to pull her out of there. If we do something to anger the owners, we may not get her out of there. Who ever does this needs to be able to walk in their house and bite their tongue long enough to get her out the door. I've done this before and can manage it, and the shelter is sort of on the way home for me. If you can find someone that is closer than I am (probably a 3-4 hour drive one way), please help, otherwise I'll just stock up on caffeine that day.

Hey - anyone in the KC area that wants a road trip on Saturday?

edited I just mapquested the trip - it looks like it's only a 2-1/2 hour drive. So not all that bad!