Statement by Nutro Products on RCP

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry i meant RPC. won't let me edit the title.

City of Industry, CA (April 19, 2007)—In response to recent media inquiries regarding a pet food recall announced for certain Natural Balance products with rice protein concentrate containing melamine, Nutro Products wishes to provide the following important information:
(1) It has been reported that the recall is focused on products containing rice protein concentrate (also referred to as rice gluten) provided by Wilbur-Ellis Company.

(2) Nutro has never purchased or used rice protein concentrate from Wilbur-Ellis Company in any of our pet foods.

(3) Nutro uses rice protein concentrate in some of its products because it provides an important alternative source of protein for pets, especially for those with sensitivities to certain proteins.

(4) Natural Balance Pet Foods, Inc. is not in any way affiliated with Nutro Products nor Nutro’s Natural Choice®, MAX® or Ultra® brands.

Nutro customers may check Nutro's website (www.nutroproducts.com) or contact Nutro's Consumer Hotline (800) 833-5330 for further information about its products. Nutro's website will be updated as more information becomes available.

http://www.nutroproducts.com/mfrecall.asp

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well thank you .... that is a releif

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for that. All of this is just so confusing I keep second guessing myself about switching food.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That sure is a relief...
Dexter my Nutro kibble loving boy is staring at me like I might be food.

I am attempting to wean him away, but he does know how to get his way.
It's the cat stare.
Works every time.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by xocats

That sure is a relief...

It's the cat stare.
Works every time.
DEXTER

This is autie Jennifer MOMMY is not FOOD

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

That sure is a relief...

It's the cat stare.
Works every time.

My youngest has that stare.. i wonder where the heck they learn that?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

That sure is a relief...

It's the cat stare.
Works every time.
Dexter sure has meowmy wrapped around that cute lil paw, doesn't he?

pjrocco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They are also finding problems with the Corn Gluten which Nutro uses, so I don't think we are out of the woods yet.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by pjrocco

They are also finding problems with the Corn Gluten which Nutro uses, so I don't think we are out of the woods yet.
I am imagining that is being tested as we speak

pjrocco

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I hope so since my cats have been eating Nutro with corn gluten in it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I think so too. Companies are gonna have to put up disclaimers, that their wheat, corn and rice are all safe of melamine.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think, based on Itchmo(sp?) reccomendation to avoid corn gluten, I am going to discotinue Nutro MAX dry because of corn gluten meal. What I am going to feed is a good question....but I am not overly comfortable with the Nutro products containing corn gluten at this point.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Nutro gets their rice protien from here in the US. I just called them. The gal I talked to gave me a lot of "ummms" & "to the best of my knowledge...". I asked about testing & if they planned to continue. They are testing their rice & corn....none has been affected(except recalled). They will continue to test. How often, she had no clue....

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
GLuten is a part of a grain that SHOULD have been tested prior to being made into ... I beleive the pet food companies will now have to test regardless of AFFCO and USDA regulations( there ones to blame since the safety s werent put into place by them for the industry)

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just called Nutro & asked to be switched to the corporate offices...
left a message that we, their consumers, are scared and confused....
I mentioned our new concerns about corn gluten and asked that they test all food additives ... all of the time.

Please call and do the same....
They need to hear directly from us.
We speak for our cats.

1-800-833-5330
asked to be switched to their corporate office.
I left my name and phone # so that they know my call was from a real consumer.

sasha4848

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Both Nutro and Hill's have said that they use RPC, but not from that supplier. That doesn't convince me that it's safe, what we need to know whether or not the RPC is imported, especially from China. The wheat gluten and the RPC were from different suppliers, but both were from China (as was the contaminated corn gluten in South Africa). So, the supplier is not as important as is the country of origin. Companies should have to disclose where their ingredients are from.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Nutro gets their rice protien from here in the US. I just called them. The gal I talked to gave me a lot of "ummms" & "to the best of my knowledge...". I asked about testing & if they planned to continue. They are testing their rice & corn....none has been affected(except recalled). They will continue to test. How often, she had no clue....
Originally Posted by sasha4848

Both Nutro and Hill's have said that they use RPC, but not from that supplier. That doesn't convince me that it's safe, what we need to know whether or not the RPC is imported, especially from China. The wheat gluten and the RPC were from different suppliers, but both were from China (as was the contaminated corn gluten in South Africa). So, the supplier is not as important as is the country of origin. Companies should have to disclose where their ingredients are from.
I asked Nutro that question I bolded in you're post earlier today when I called. They get their rice protien from farms here in the US!