Dish Network???

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone have Dish Network? I am supposed to be getting it Saturday but I don't know any reviews from customers. So if you ahve it please tell me if you like or not and why.

crazyforinfo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mom has had it for years. I love it and can't wait to move back in for it.
Yes it goes out during storms but so does Comcast & Direct TV. She has had a dish up there for 20 years without any problems. We have no complaints about the service.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Phenomsmom

Does anyone have Dish Network? I am supposed to be getting it Saturday but I don't know any reviews from customers. So if you ahve it please tell me if you like or not and why.
I had it for a couple of years and switched to Directv. The only reason I did this was because at the time Directv was offering more HD programming. Now I see that the Dish Network is saying they offer more HD programming!
However, by the end of the year, they are both saying they will have 100 HD channels.

Here is the problem that I have had with BOTH of these satellite TV systems: Bad weather. Cable TV is not affected by bad weather but my programming was knocked out with either system every time we had severe weather. Three nights ago I was watching Moby Dick and right when the white whale was sighted a hail storm came and off went the TV. It came back on as the movie ended. But, do not be alarmed, this only happens during severe weather, not just a normal heavy rain.

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We've had it for years and love love love it!

If possible, have it installed someplace that's semi-accessible because it will go out if snow accumulates on the dish, but even that is pretty rare.

We're planning on upgrading to the HD package in the next couple of weeks and are really excited about it!

tigerontheprowl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's good. I just hope you have better luck with yours than I am having with mine. My Dad's friend works for the company and we just got one dish put up just before the winter hit. Mine came in 2 different satalite dishes because half the signal comes from south of here and the other half comes from the south east. Anywho, when we tried to put the second dish up, we couldn't get any signal from either of the dishes so right now we're trying to do some troubleshooting with it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

phenomsmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know in bad weather it goes out my parents have Direct TV. Dish has better prices for me and we don't watch a lot of TV but I have been without cable for 2 years and I miss my shows!!
They dn't have regular cable that runs to my house so that isn't an option. Glad to hear you have it and like it!

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My parents have it and love it. I love the fact you can see shows you miss in a different time zone and you don't actually miss them. It also has "Free preview weekends" for things like HBO and STARS kind of like a test run to see if you like the programing well enough to buy it.

jujubee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I lived in of California I had it and I loved it! I can't get it where I live now, there is a corner of the roof that the dish 'beam' cant go thru or around so I'm stuck with Comcast.
Dish Network only went out once that I remember.

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

We've had it for years and love love love it!

If possible, have it installed someplace that's semi-accessible because it will go out if snow accumulates on the dish, but even that is pretty rare.

We're planning on upgrading to the HD package in the next couple of weeks and are really excited about it!
You have good reason to be. HD is a totally different dimension than what you are used to. I find that the Discovery HD channel looks better than the other HD channels. However, I see nobody broadcasting in true 1080p yet. I have an HD movie camera and I took a movie of Persi last night. I then played it back on our 50 inch HDTV with Persi in the room. He went out of his mind trying to attack himself! I never had so much fun. That is how real HDTV looks. You are in for a whole new experience!

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have it and I do like it but I did have one problem with it. Someone was charging PPV movies to my account! When I asked them about it they said you need a password otherwise anyone can charge movies to your account. We were never told about this. Now we have a password.

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We switched from Direct TV to Dish Network about a year ago and I LOVE it!!
The channels are completely different though and so using it takes a little getting used to.
If you can it is worth it to get Digital Video Recording (DVR) included in your package. You can record 100 hours of movies/television. You can also pause and rewind live TV! We record all of our favorite shows and never have to watch commercials. It's the best thing since sliced bread

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My mom switched from Directv to Dish and they like it much better. No HD but they do have the DVR recording thing. My son programs it to record all the shows he likes when he's at college or work so he can watch them when he gets home. He loves it!

watchcaddy

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am a current Dish user with HD package and will soon disconnect it-all of it.

Review- I had cable and it was too expensive and switched to Dish with HD package. The price went down about $20 or so. I had the service for about 1 year and the rates went up twice. I have two large TV 55 and 60 and will soon upgrade to a 70in. While the HD channels look good, the regular channels are horrible x 100. It is very blurry and I just can't stand it. One might ask, just watch HD then. But, they repeat the programs allllllll the time. The lack of HD content forced them to repeat it. I am paying about $70 for HD and the basic programming, 1 HD receiver and 1 regular receiver with DVR (like a vcr but no tape-like a tivo). I have calculated, when I cancel Dish, I will save $840/year and just buy the TV series on HD DVD or Blu Ray or regular DVD not available on either format. And just get over the air HD channels. This will save me at least $500/year.

Final thought-you get lots of channel but LOTS of useless channels and HD contents are relatively few at this moment. Also, if you have a good large TV, the picture quality will look horrible. I switched to Dish from cable because of cheaper price, now it is almost the same. That is my experience with Dish.

angie8

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've actually been with Dish Network now for almost 4 years. Never had a problem with the equipment at all and their technical support has been great anytime I had a question or issue. The weather related outages I've had were no more than a couple of minutes & rarely happened.

I recently upgraded to the Hi-Def DVR and absolutely LOVE it!! I agree that the selection of HD channels & programs out there could be better.....alot of shows do get repeated on the HD channels simply because not alot is broadcast in HD yet. That should improve with time.

The only issue I've had with Dish is their customer service.......it needs some serious improvement. Tech support is wonderful but the cust service personnel aren't the sharpest tools in the shed. I went thru quite a few problems trying to set up the appt for the HD upgrade & installation and get everything lined out correctly on my account to reflect those changes.

Overall, I'd recommend it, but take good notes when you talk to them on the phone & get your cust service rep's "Operator ID" in case you have any problems. There's a problem with consistency over there & every rep you talk to will give you a different answer so once I figured out that trick, things went smoother.