I just read that bunnies....

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
bunnies purr? is this true for those with bunnies? I thought it was really funny cuz the other night I had a dream about a big white bunny laying on my chest purring and I was telling my BF how strage this was and how I didn't know they purred (in the dream).

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I heard that they do a teeth chatter thing..not purring, but the same idea. they do it when they are happy.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I raised a few litters of dutch rabbits - none that I know of purred. However, baby raccoons DO pur when being bottle fed

Rabbits will let out a high pitched scream if they are in danger - I've heard it. But purring....nope.

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
None of my rabbit's have purred?? My current bunny Stitch stretches out his neck and closes his eyes when you scratch his chin but that's as close as I've seen to a purr

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had to go look it up of course, some said about the teeth chatter thing and a few said it was like vibrations. Also it said Guine pigs too, but i think that was the teeth chatter thing. Also those with bunnies do you let them run around with the cats? I've been thinking about getting one in the near future, maybe 2 if it happens that way

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ladycat

bunnies purr? is this true for those with bunnies? I thought it was really funny cuz the other night I had a dream about a big white bunny laying on my chest purring and I was telling my BF how strage this was and how I didn't know they purred (in the dream).
Maybe in your dream it was one of your cats in Easter drag setting on your chest?

I have never heard of bunnies purring but I haven't known many bunnies.

kaylacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
None of mine ever purrred. They do growl though.
I used to let my old guy, Sammy run around with the cats. They didn't really know what to make of him but they didn't try to hurt him.

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

Maybe in your dream it was one of your cats in Easter drag setting on your chest?

I have never heard of bunnies purring but I haven't known many bunnies.
that's a good one! now I'm seeing all of them in little white bunny costums!!!
thanks for the laugh!

xxtashaxx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i kept rabbits since i was little and never heard them purr.
our rabbit snowy RIP a few years back used to get on with the cats , but you really have to watch them , if they get freaked out they will bunny kick which can be very leathel to an animal , not to mentune there bites.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Guinea pigs makes a purring SOUND when they are happy or courting,
but it isn't really a purr the way cats purr. It's like my Ferris and his brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrr sound.

I have no idea about bunnies, though...

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Guinea pigs makes a purring SOUND when they are happy or courting,
but it isn't really a purr the way cats purr. It's like my Ferris and his brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrr sound.

I have no idea about bunnies, though...
that's adorable!!!!

yorda

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Grinding their teeth is the rabbit equivalent to a purr, though rabbits may also grind their teeth when in pain. Jaybee only “purred†as a baby and is the only rabbit I have had that ever did it. It kind of creeped me out. Binkies and flops from a happy rabbit are much cuter anyways.

Both my rabbits are allowed to run loose with my cats and are respectful of each other, though it is a pretty controversial topic on the rabbit groups I belong to.

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yorda

Grinding their teeth is the rabbit equivalent to a purr, though rabbits may also grind their teeth when in pain. Jaybee only “purred†as a baby and is the only rabbit I have had that ever did it. It kind of creeped me out. Binkies and flops from a happy rabbit are much cuter anyways.

Both my rabbits are allowed to run loose with my cats and are respectful of each other, though it is a pretty controversial topic on the rabbit groups I belong to.
how many cats do you have? Any of those groups something I could check out (online?)

tari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, some bunnies do a teeth grinding thing that sounds a bit like a purr. My bunny never did it, but my friend had one that did. It's a sign of total bunny bliss. (Though, as stated before, they also grind their teeth when they're stressed.)

My bunny, Hunny Bunny (RIP
), was a free-running house rabbit, and we got Tailer while she was still with us. They were the best of friends...and Hunny was definitely the boss in that relationship. Before we got Tailer, we used to leave Hunny with my parents, who have two cats, when we went on vacation, and she got along great with her cats, too (though they were never left unsupervised). My friend with the purring bunny also had five cats, and they never threatened the rabbit either (though the rabbit did sometimes threaten the cats).

I'd just advise to, please, be really sure of what you're getting into before adopting a rabbit. I used to do volunteer work for the House Rabbit Society, and we got dozens and dozens of calls every week from people who wanted to give up their rabbits because they were more work than they had planned on. They're wonderful animals and definitely worth the effort, but they are significantly more work than cats.

A good resource for information about rabbits is the House Rabbit Society web site, http://www.rabbit.org/.

ladycat

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tari

Yes, some bunnies do a teeth grinding thing that sounds a bit like a purr. My bunny never did it, but my friend had one that did. It's a sign of total bunny bliss. (Though, as stated before, they also grind their teeth when they're stressed.)

My bunny, Hunny Bunny (RIP
), was a free-running house rabbit, and we got Tailer while she was still with us. They were the best of friends...and Hunny was definitely the boss in that relationship. Before we got Tailer, we used to leave Hunny with my parents, who have two cats, when we went on vacation, and she got along great with her cats, too (though they were never left unsupervised). My friend with the purring bunny also had five cats, and they never threatened the rabbit either (though the rabbit did sometimes threaten the cats).

I'd just advise to, please, be really sure of what you're getting into before adopting a rabbit. I used to do volunteer work for the House Rabbit Society, and we got dozens and dozens of calls every week from people who wanted to give up their rabbits because they were more work than they had planned on. They're wonderful animals and definitely worth the effort, but they are significantly more work than cats.

A good resource for information about rabbits is the House Rabbit Society web site, http://www.rabbit.org/.
I've actually been looking at that site for that past few days and looking into various bunny rescues in my area. I always do my research! I know it's very sad, i've been reading so much about how often they are just dumped, I was actually talking to my old foster mom the other day and she told me she use to have one that lived out doors in a hutch and she told the kids it ran away when it actually froze to death in the winter
and when she heard my response she said well what/ where was I suppose to do with it
. these poor animals sometimes.
Any personal experience/personalities with bunnies would be great to know

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My little Sophie doesn't purr...but she will let out one devilish scream if she sees her little treat container in your hands about to give her a treat
She even dances around for her treat
it's cute! But no purring.