Where are they?

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The litter boxes, that is.

The litter threads got me thinking so I started a new thread. I have always had @3 clustered in one quiet spot, then another one or 2 in different spot.

We have moved so much that I credit my cats for such awesome adjustments; never has there been litter box confusion.

We are moving again in a couple months and I will probably stick with my usual--at least one on each floor, but definitely a few grouped together. I know some cats dislike boxes near other cats' boxes, but mine actually prefer grouped. When I spread them out too much they go unused.

Who has boxes in kitchens? Bathrooms? Basements? Laundry room? Bedrooms? ( I currently have 3 in the upstairs laundry room, a large room) and 2 in a main level, rather unused hallway corner.

I just suggested to the husband that we put a box in our new master bathroom; it's going to be huge and why not use the space? The cats also feel safe in their 'parents' room. That idea didnt' fly too high
Alas, I usually prevail on cat issues so this remains to be seen.

If you have a basement box, do you have a cat door for access, or you leave door open (finished basement I assume?).

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well their are two littermaids, one is in the basement but it's a finished basement, the other is in my daughters room, i should probably move it to the bathroom but the cats are in the girls room alot and it's been there since the get-go soo for now it'll stay put

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One litter box is in our bedroom where the cats are *supposed* to stay most of the time! And where Sasha and Olive do stay all of the time. It's in the corner with a puppy pen around it to keep the dogs out. And since the cats love to jump out of the room and explore the rest of the basement, there's another litter box in another corner of the basement enclosed in a large wooden area so that the dogs can't get to it.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure my situation is relevant but we live in a studio apartment. Since Daphne came I have 2 boxes, one in bathroom and one in closet. Am going to move them both to the bathroom this weekend since both cats share both boxes anyway. Think I'll keep the two boxes for awhile though.

justicelynn

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I live in a one bdrm apt, but I have one int the bathroom thats covered and one in the living room that is cleverly disguised as a cardboard box.
I need to get a third one since we have three cats, but I have no idea where to put it at the moment, so I just clean the two I've got more often.

chromodactyl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
we have a large one in the bedroom but that is due to the birth of kittens.One by the garden door incase she doesnt want to go out and a litle one in the basement which is left open.Admittedly i cant wait to move the bedroom one out-its a massive room and sometimes we like to chill out there and watch tv with dinner-quite cozy but a litter tray and dinner sometimes pus me off.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Jpawz

The litter boxes, that is.

That idea didnt' fly too high
Alas, I usually prevail on cat issues so this remains to be seen.
I love hearing other people say things like I might say them!

Anyway, I have one auto-box for my three cats but we used to have two and we kept them together in our laundry room. I have also had a box in the master bath, back when I had a house with a master bath. I too have found that if they are grouped the use is spread out more evenly among them.

deelovely79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 2 bedroom apt but the second bedroom is used as an office and off limits to the "Preciouuuusssses". I have 2 cats and I used to have 3 litter boxes (actually those Rubbermaid bins that they use to bus dishes in restaurants) one in the bathroom, behind the kitchen door and in the corner of the dining room near the other kitchen entrance. I took up the one in the dining room since they seem to only use two litter boxes at a time. I was thinking about putting one down in my bedroom again but I rather not be woken up at night by the scratching or poop smells.

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have 1 in a bathroom and it's also in a carpeted box that they love. 1 in the Cat/computer room also in a carpeted box. 1 in a spare bedroom and 1 in the Den. We have 4 cats.

shiraz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We've got 5 boxes for 5 cats. One large Rubbermaid tub-thing in the bedroom, under built-in fish stand the bf made, one large covered box in the upstairs hallway in the bottom shelve of a 3 shelf closet, and then there are 3 we keep downstairs in our finished basement (which is a 1 bedroom apartment currently not being rented). One large Rubbermaid tub in the unused kitchen, one large covered box in the bedroom down there, and one covered box in the laundry room (which we'd like to keep the door closed so we'll be putting in a cat door in so we can close the door). Our basement is a pretty unused part of our house so we won't miss the space is we rent it again, so if the cats want to 'go' in private they can, but all 3 of my girls prefer to go right when meowmy's cleaning the box, so she has to do 2 rounds to get everything
lol

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We have them in our master bathroom (very large room), utility room next to the washer/dryer, sun porch (under wood platforms so they double as sunny perches), a bedroom that I use for sewing, and the basement.

Yes, I have a pattern that I use to scoop them all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DeeLovely79

...(actually those Rubbermaid bins that they use to bus dishes in restaurants) one in the bathroom, behind the kitchen door and in the corner of the dining room near the other kitchen entrance. I took up the one in the dining room since they seem to only use two litter boxes at a time. I was thinking about putting one down in my bedroom again but I rather not be woken up at night by the scratching or poop smells.
'those Rubbermaid bins' are a great alternative to 'litter boxes. I have cats who seem to be doing Tae Bo in the litter box so they really need space.

Oh and 3 of my 5 cats are on the 'farm schedule'. They like to do da busines @ 4am. That's a lot of ruckus in the boudoir. Then they all hop up on you for face cuddles

a

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok I love to scoop my own litter boxes. Some anal-retentive part of me wont be satisfied unless *I* do the litter. And being an at home mom now affords me the time to do multiple cat box clean ups.

Someone said they had one in the kitchen--I would too depending on size. Very convenient I would think for disposal too. It is more running around with supplies when you have various areas to check/clean. Then again, my toddlers are a litter hazard. As it is I find their toys tossed in the downstairs box. Good Grief. My 2 yr old told me she cleaned the litter box for me. ACK. I sprinted to find litter EVERYWHERE. Uhm...

Momofmany--lol at "Yes I have a pattern"

Shiraz--it's amazing, is it not, as we are scooping the box and a cat barged right in and actually cops a squat while we are STILL MID SCOOP?!?! My 2 females have zero shame
My boys are more....secretive. I have 2 cats that, post poop, fly out of the box like a bat out of, err...hell? Every.Time.

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bella713

We have 1 in a bathroom and it's also in a carpeted box that they love. 1 in the Cat/computer room also in a carpeted box. 1 in a spare bedroom and 1 in the Den. We have 4 cats.
I just love your sig pic and what it says.

I always look at those carpeted boxes at Dr Foster & Smith....but I worry about one of my cats finding that as a perfect stalking position while another cat is inside, below. I take it you have no issues with that!

jellybella

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
we have three boxes in a spare bedroom. I sometimes think about moving one elsewhere (not sure where), but I need to keep at least two in that room because Stan likes one box for each, um, 'business function', and they have to be fairly close to each other.

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JellyBella

we have three boxes in a spare bedroom. I sometimes think about moving one elsewhere (not sure where), but I need to keep at least two in that room because Stan likes one box for each, um, 'business function', and they have to be fairly close to each other.
We are *such* slaves to the purr

My husband is positive I was feline in another life.

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
i have 2 boxes in my bedroom closet, & 1 in the hall closet. the 2 in the bedroom closet are much preferred, to the point that i must empty them 4-6 times as often as the hall one
all 3 are automated boxes, littermaids.