Rice Protein Concentrate/Rice Gluten?

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We all know about the New Balance Rice Protein Concentrate issue....

Is Rice Gluten the same as RPC?

Should we be concerned about rice gluten being contaminated too?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
beandip just posted this informative link about Rice Protein Concentrate in the RECALL FACTS sticky.

http://rice_protein.directory.alibaba.com/

"rice gluten meal" and "isolated rice protein" are the same as RPC.

luxum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am fairly sure that rice "gluten" and rice "protein concentrate" are interchangeable terms.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Scroll down to the Advantages of RPC...
this is kind of creepy to me.
"Especially, we can make sure that the animals would need it at all times"
Maybe something got lost in translation.

http://xinghuo.en.alibaba.com/offerd...ed_Grade_.html

We accurate and truthful pet food labels.

luxum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Uh, yeh... i'm going to chalk that up to a translation issue, i don't even want to contemplate the alternative.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
protein concetrate is gluten concentrated ... rice gluten is the main component ... concentrate is a supped up for version... FROM what i understood

wmarcello

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All these contaminated ingredients... do any of them go by other names? Are there other ingredients that are likely to be unsafe?

"Rice protein concentrate" seems to go by the name "rice gluten" as well. Are there any other variations that need to be looked out for? How about brewers rice? Brown rice? Ground rice? Rice flour? Rice bran? The list could go on I'm sure.

Same goes for "wheat gluten". I know there are many wheat-based ingredients out there. Which ones are the most heavily processed and most likely to be contaminated?

How about "corn gluten"? The one probably scares me the most, as it seems like it is so widely used. Is corn meal ok? Ground corn?

Can anybody shed any light on this?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by wmarcello

All these contaminated ingredients... do any of them go by other names? Are there other ingredients that are likely to be unsafe?

"Rice protein concentrate" seems to go by the name "rice gluten" as well. Are there any other variations that need to be looked out for? How about brewers rice? Brown rice? Ground rice? Rice flour? Rice bran? The list could go on I'm sure.

Same goes for "wheat gluten". I know there are many wheat-based ingredients out there. Which ones are the most heavily processed and most likely to be contaminated?

How about "corn gluten"? The one probably scares me the most, as it seems like it is so widely used. Is corn meal ok? Ground corn?

Can anybody shed any light on this?
GLuten is a part of EVERY GRAIN it is the PROTEIN of the GRAIN....

WHEAT Barley and rye share a gluten that is identical ....

Oats, Spelt have a slightly different gluten from the above

Rice is the least allergenic gluten

Corn in humans and cats is lower than wheat but higher than rice

Gluten is the protein in a natural or a "stripped to element state"

concentrate is gluten that is augmented to make it more potent it usually has a higher protein ....

Right now on my vets advice I am going grain free .... but If I werent I would still serve corn gluten as it helps in UTI health and that is important to me ...

Corn gluten is a milled process ... I call it slightly stripped

Wheat gluten is highly highly process as is ALMOST all wheat that is not in a sprouted state

Rice gluten is similiar to corn gluten

HOPE that helps

wmarcello

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

GLuten is a part of EVERY GRAIN it is the PROTEIN of the GRAIN....

WHEAT Barley and rye share a gluten that is identical ....

Oats, Spelt have a slightly different gluten from the above

Rice is the least allergenic gluten

Corn in humans and cats is lower than wheat but higher than rice

Gluten is the protein in a natural or a "stripped to element state"

concentrate is gluten that is augmented to make it more potent it usually has a higher protein ....

Right now on my vets advice I am going grain free .... but If I werent I would still serve corn gluten as it helps in UTI health and that is important to me ...

Corn gluten is a milled process ... I call it slightly stripped

Wheat gluten is highly highly process as is ALMOST all wheat that is not in a sprouted state

Rice gluten is similiar to corn gluten

HOPE that helps
A little... I realize that gluten is not separate from the whole ingredient (be it rice, wheat, corn, etc..). I'm just concerned about the processing it goes through, and the likelihood that one of these ingredients could have been contaminated.

Take "brown rice" for example. Is brown rice just as likely to be contaminated as a "rice gluten meal"? From what I've been hearing, the more processing an ingredient has to go through, the more hands it passes through, and the more chance it has of being contaminated. Are whole ingredients more likely to be produced domestically?

I realize that this may be a hard question to answer... just trying to understand as much as I can.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

A little... I realize that gluten is not separate from the whole ingredient (be it rice, wheat, corn, etc..). I'm just concerned about the processing it goes through, and the likelihood that one of these ingredients could have been contaminated.
I agree. I don't think that gluten is a bad thing...as long as it's still inside the rice...not ground up already.
That's the difference for me. Am I missing something?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Take "brown rice" for example. Is brown rice just as likely to be contaminated as a "rice gluten meal"? From what I've been hearing, the more processing an ingredient has to go through, the more hands it passes through, and the more chance it has of being contaminated. Are whole ingredients more likely to be produced domestically?
According to my vet ... the likelyhood is the WHOLE grain is contaminated as if it is fertilizer well the whole grain is fertilized... As why I am now a grain free house aside from sprouted

Hope that helps...

jean44

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

According to my vet ... the likelyhood is the WHOLE grain is contaminated as if it is fertilizer well the whole grain is fertilized... As why I am now a grain free house aside from sprouted

Hope that helps...
I haven't asked my vet about this because he'd be no help at all. However, the idea that the melamine may have been in fertilizer has been my thinking also. That is why I'm going grain free.

Now I just have to worry about the brewers rice and corn gluten in the s/d Kolohe and Eric are eating.
I'm trying to move Kolohe to Carpon but Eric has other issues and I don't think Carpon would work for him. I'm holding my breath and hoping there is no further Hills recall.

sunspot42

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's been suggested that melamine was added to the grain to boost its apparent protein content. In basic testing, melamine would show up as nitrogen, making it look as though the grain contained more protein than it really did. So it's possible this contamination was intentional - someone may have been trying to make low-protein grains appear as though they were more costly high-protein grains or grain products.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's very difficult to go grain free if your cats won't eat the grain free food. 99.9% of the food out there has rice of some kind. I can easily avoid the wheat issue, and the corn issue, but how do you avoid the rice issue? I swear I'm losing my mind. I'm also going to lose my job, because my computer is in the shop and I'm just compulsive about checking for the latest recall issues and researching "healthy" alternatives to feed my babies.

xocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please call the companies who made your kitties food and insist on testing of all additives used in their food or you won't buy it.

Hit them in their pocket books.
Enough is enough.

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

It's very difficult to go grain free if your cats won't eat the grain free food. 99.9% of the food out there has rice of some kind. I can easily avoid the wheat issue, and the corn issue, but how do you avoid the rice issue? I swear I'm losing my mind. I'm also going to lose my job, because my computer is in the shop and I'm just compulsive about checking for the latest recall issues and researching "healthy" alternatives to feed my babies.
I totally understand your position, as i am in a similar one. While i am going to attempt to get some orijen this weekend which is grain free their is no guarantee that the cats will eat it, other grain frees have failed as well they can be costly.

For now i am trying to avoid foods with corn, wheat and RPC but whole rice i am still feeding and hoping everything will be ok.

It's a very troubling time to be unable to trust the foods you hand to your pets.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Hope that helps...
That is a possibility. I don't think the concentrations would be so high if that was the case, though. I suspect strongly that it was added at some point in the processing stage. Maybe that's just me trying to be optimistic about the "whole" rice...I don't know enough about any of this to form a solid theory.
Just my take on it...

The thing I'm still holding out for is to find out that the melamine was and has been there the whole time...and the real killer contaminant has not been found yet. I hope that's not the case, but....

deljo

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Have I missed something? I don't recall reading that corn gluten is a problem. My cats eat Nutro Natural Complete, Purine Natural One and they both contain corn gluten. This whole issue has become a nightmare and a pain.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by deljo

Have I missed something? I don't recall reading that corn gluten is a problem. My cats eat Nutro Natural Complete, Purine Natural One and they both contain corn gluten. This whole issue has become a nightmare and a pain.
So far, the only confirmed contaminated corn gluten was found in pet food in South Africa. BUT...it all makes me really hesitate to serve ANY grains right now.

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sunspot42

It's been suggested that melamine was added to the grain to boost its apparent protein content. In basic testing, melamine would show up as nitrogen, making it look as though the grain contained more protein than it really did. So it's possible this contamination was intentional - someone may have been trying to make low-protein grains appear as though they were more costly high-protein grains or grain products.
here's an article about it:

http://www.boston.com/yourlife/healt...ose/?page=full

*EDIT* oops, didn't realize this article was already in the RECALL FACT LINKS sticky thread!