Is your basement clean?

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just wondering: Do you keep a clean basement or does it always seem to be clean? I'm not talking about stacks of stuff.

I just hate having to go into our basement. We have one of those old "Michigan" basements. Basically our house was builting in the 20s/30s, we still have a [now locked] coal shoot and an old-time storage area for jam. THe jam area is mostly dirt so in the spring the basement smells like wet dirt (making the house smell like dirt).

The cement is unsealed, which doesn't bother me. There are cobwebs EVERYWHERE. Luckily though I haven't seen any spiders.

I'm thinking about getting a maid service in to clean it up. You guys???

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not have a basement but if I did I would probably keep it clean. I am a very clean person.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a finished basement so it is clean. I'm sure if it were unfinished it would be a bit messy.

lookingglass

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't have a basement, but we do have a storage area that is stacked neatly with labels on all the boxes tell us what the contents are.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My basement is small but pretty clean-I have been painting the walls. I start all my seeds and over winter plants so currently its full of plants but these will be moved out in the next few days. We have a pantry that I try to keep organized. The only time its messy is when we haul firewood down for the winter.

gardenandcats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine is a full basement...with a cement floor.Its fairly clean but sure has alot of stuff in it..Plus my washer and dryer are down there and furnance..It has drains in it so I hose the floor down in the summer with bleach and water..

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Helen and i were talking on Skype at the weekend there and she asked me if i had one which we don't in the UK, but i've got to ask you all this that have one. Are any of you scared to go downstairs in it late at night?. I've seen too many horror films with basements that i wouldn't

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

Are any of you scared to go downstairs in it late at night?. I've seen too many horror films with basements that i wouldn't
this house, no,
hmm the house my grandfather had. Yea, everyone was scared to go down in there alone. but i was kid then. I dont know if i would be now or not.

bnwalker2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a full basement and just had a new house put in. So until the upstairs is completely finished, my boyfriend and I live in the basement. We built ourselves a 12x12 bedroom in one corner, and in the other corner on this side he's got his scooter and tools and stuff so he can work on his little scooter inside. The rest of the basement is piled with everything from the old house that hasn't found a place yet.
Our "bedroom" still has concrete floor (with some rugs), which is nice for cleaning because it's easy to sweep and dust. I keep our bedroom very clean every day but I really should work on the rest of the basement as well. It's just really dusty from the work that was done and there's a good deal of mud by the back door because the back yard still has no grass!

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Umm noooo!
Actually ours is a partial basement....and hubby keeps stuff in it, and we have had to use it once when tornado sirens went off.

Other than that, it isnt good for much....

bella713

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Helen and i were talking on Skype at the weekend there and she asked me if i had one which we don't in the UK, but i've got to ask you all this that have one. Are any of you scared to go downstairs in it late at night?. I've seen too many horror films with basements that i wouldn't
Susan... I fear nothing ... as long as one of the cats is with me down there

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lunasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Ummm...yea, the only ones that don't freak me out are the finished basements. My parents basement, our current basement, they all freak me out at night. Sometimes even during the day.

Ours mostly does because the light switch at the top turns on all lights EXCEPT the back area which only has one window so little light comes through in the daytime. At night its dark back there and messy. I try not to look back there cause I'm afraid I'll see something!

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Yeah, I'm scared to go down there during the daytime! Our house was built in 1894...so the basement is sort of like Lunasmom's...

Moz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have the typical Canadian basement. Horrid wood panelling, orange and brown carpet from the 70's, couches with floral patterns. In the "play room" (living room) there's Lego strewn about the floor, along with a foosball table and weight equipment. Then there's the "back room" which is my dad's work shop and the laundry room. There's so much crap back there that you can hardly find the floor.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

Yeah, I'm scared to go down there during the daytime! Our house was built in 1894...so the basement is sort of like Lunasmom's...
Oh crikey, i bet theres some stories that could be told with who lived there
My old house was 100 years old and i would love to have known about the people that lived there.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in a rental. I get one basement room for my washer/dryer and for storage.

The floors are dirt with gravel on top, and when I moved in I laid down big giant pieces of cardbord on top of the gravel, then put an old rug I was going to throw away on top of that. I bought utility shelves to store my stuff on. I have to run a dehumidifier in there all summer long.

There are cobwebs all over, the "rafters" are NASTY, and there are mice in the house, but again, it isn't MY house, so I am not putting any effort into it beyond keeping my things as safe and dry as possible.

I've only ever lived in one place where the cellar was worth keeping clean, and then I only lived there six months.

critter crazy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have a finnished basement, which is where our TV room is, Our computer, as well as our bar, and laundry room. So it is kept pretty clean since most of our time is spent down there. There is a large room for storage which is not exactly clean, but it is mostly hubbys junk, so I dont touch it!