Wet food change

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there a way to change wet food that will reduce the likely hood of stomache upset? I tried Feliday wet last night (I know I said I was going to go grain free, but there is just no way I can afford to feed the grain free wet food). Well I don't know if it was too rich for Maggie, or if she at it too fast, but she puked it back up. At this point I'm not worried because she has done this before with wet foods. Can I make this transition easier on her tummy or can she just not eat Feliday. (I'm going to lose my mind by the end of all this)

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With my cats, I tend to try twice. With mine, if they didn't eat it too fast - then they probably just won't tolerate that variety.

Mine get different brands and flavors of wet food every day...and as a group, they do fine with 98% of it. I have to be careful with lamb and fish...but overall the vast majority of my varied offerings are tolerated from the first time I feed it.

If Maggie is used to getting one or two particular wet foods, though...there may be some adjustment needed, sort of like we normally do with dry food.

Which Felidae was it?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It was the chicken with chicken broth so I thought she would tolerate it fairly well. The last time she threw up wet food it was Iams light wet (long before the recall), and she had eaten that before. They have been on stricktly NB wet (generaly 3 differnt flavors) for a couple of months now. I was thinking tonight I would give her 1/2 of what I normally do & see how that goes. The other thing I thought of last night (while I was laying awake fretting about cat food) was that I could go with CN wet if I split a 6 oz. can 4 ways & mixed a little dry in. Normally I go through 2 6oz cans a day and at 20 - 30 cents more per can I just can't do CN the same way I was doing NB. Also, I've got like 22 cans of NB. I keep going back & forth about feeding them. I talked to the pet store & they said I could return them. This is just all so crazy.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Cal natural is not a rich food but it can be too simple for some

i try three times

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hmm...sorry if I missed it, but how do they feel about reheated food? The 13 oz cans of CN are anywhere from $1.30-$1.70 here, depending on flavor and retailer. Big cans can be a budget saver, but only IF they'd eat it of course.

13oz Felidae cans are about $1.30 here.

Leopold usually saves me from a third try, by taking six steps back from his plate and pointing his nose toward the air...with that utterly disgusted look on his face.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

Hmm...sorry if I missed it, but how do they feel about reheated food? The 13 oz cans of CN are anywhere from $1.30-$1.70 here, depending on flavor and retailer. Big cans can be a budget saver, but only IF they'd eat it of course.
How long does the food stay good in the fridge? Some brands mine will eat reheated, some they won't. But I can't always do it all in the same day.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rang_27

Also, I've got like 22 cans of NB. I keep going back & forth about feeding them. I talked to the pet store & they said I could return them. This is just all so crazy.
I'm doing the same thing. I just ordered a bunch of NB to stock up right before the recall, and it was too late to cancel the order. I'm almost ready to just go ahead and feed them, and hope they're telling the truth that it's only the venison and pea that's affected. They really love the NB, and I just can't find anything that doesn't have some kind of rice in it (or worse), that they'll eat.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

How long does the food stay good in the fridge? Some brands mine will eat reheated, some they won't. But I can't always do it all in the same day.
I have stretched it to 3 days...if it's not gone by then, it's not so much the freshness, but a boredom factor. I usually have it used up in less than 2 days. I've never noticed anything funky about it.

Might ask Sharky the same question.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With 4 I'd go through a 13 oz can a day (but then again maybe I'm feeding too much).
Misty I feel the same way, do I believe them or not. It would be a lot easier to stick with the NB, they love it & Jordan lets me sleep through the night. No other food has worked as well for all 4.

deelovely79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

13oz Felidae cans are about $1.30 here.

Leopold usually saves me from a third try, by taking six steps back from his plate and pointing his nose toward the air...with that utterly disgusted look on his face.
So true, I ordered CN on PFD and 12 - 13oz cans are like $17/$18 depending on the variety, my plan is to feed one can to both cats a day (so everyone gets about 3 oz for breakfast and dinner but since Frenchie doesn't eat much on can will probably last a day and half). I know it's different for everyone but I don't keep canned food in the fridge more than 2 days, 3 tops (but then I don't store them in the can). After 3 days I can't get mine to eat the same flavor anymore anyway. Two bad mine don't like Felidae, I have coupons for 3 free cans. I'm going to wait 2 or 3 months and then see if they'll forget about not liking Felidae and give it another try.

deelovely79

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

I'm doing the same thing. I just ordered a bunch of NB to stock up right before the recall, and it was too late to cancel the order. I'm almost ready to just go ahead and feed them, and hope they're telling the truth that it's only the venison and pea that's affected. They really love the NB, and I just can't find anything that doesn't have some kind of rice in it (or worse), that they'll eat.
Where did you order from? PFD is giving people credit/and or replacement food for NB. You should call your store and see if they'll give you credit if you bring the cans back.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Something that might help cost-wise -- just feed the grain-free foods until this crisis is resolved. (I know it doesn't seem like it will ever end, but it has to at some point, doesn't it?) Then, when the food supply is verified clean, return to your preferred foods.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I had a couple of cans of NB that were from before any of this food stuff started. So last night I mixed 1/2 NB & 1/2 Felidae. Maggie ate a little slower too, and everything went well.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I ended up returning one of the flavors of Feliday because her royal highness princess picky pants refused to touch it.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I ended up returning one of the flavors of Feliday because her royal highness princess picky pants refused to touch it.
I have a princess picky pants too. LOL. Which flavor was a success?

jenny82

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So mixing the Felidae with another wet food actually worked?

I ordered Felidae and Innova cans for mine and they've decided that they only like the Innova, so I was thinking of mixing them.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have a princess picky pants too. LOL. Which flavor was a success?
It was the one that was mostly chicken & no fish. She did throw it up the first night, but when I mixed it with the NB the next night she kept it down. When I tried mixing the fishy one, she would have nothing to do with.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

She must be related to my Princess FussyToes.

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad I'm not the only one that makes up crazy nick names cause some people I know think I'm crazy.