~Fat Cat??~ 25 lbs?~

mom_2_3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Okay a local rescue has emailed me about a neutered male cat, black, 25 lbs, wanting me to take him in. Whew I have my hands full with Abby, Oreo, NoNo and the babies but it just stumped me on a 25 lb cat! Yikes! My Yorkie is a chubby girl at 10 lbs...so this cat would be more than DOUBLE her size?? How big is everybodys cats? My girls are SMALL...Oreo being less than 4 lbs, NoNo right at 5...I couldnt imagine how much bigger this guy is over my girls! Im still talking to my husband and debating if I have time for a new foster but SHHH we all know that men are the head of the household but us women are the necks...thats what makes the head turn haha!

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
to be honest it all depends on the breed or mixes and the size of the cat, my bella is a small to medium sized cat but was overweight at 14 lbs well now shes at a good weight tho, im not sure but shes all muscle and no more fat
And my willie is a good weight and thats cause he is part maine coon, hes at 18 or so lbs and well they are actually around 25lbs but hes a mix, now stormie who is only 8 1/2 months and at 6lbs and still growing
shes gonna be a BIG girl but thats on her breed or mix of breed! And all the others are at their right weights blue is 4lbs id say, they vet never told us so im estimating lol! Midnights probly between 12 and 15 lbs! Tessa is at her weight but once again the vet didnt write it down
and well like i said it all depends on the kitties mix, some are overweight at that weight and others are supposed to be that big!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mom_2_3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
~Ohh okay..makes sense. It just weirded me out to think of a cat that would be twice the size of my fat Yorkie who is around 10 but should be closer to 5-6 lbs. But then again the cats weight has nothing to do with his actual size and height. He may be smaller than her and overweight or larger and look normal I guess. Just sounded so abnormally large for a cat but then again Im used to my small petite girls!~ Hopefully I can get some pics sent to me or go visit him tomorrow and take pics myself!~

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mom_2_3

~Ohh okay..makes sense. It just weirded me out to think of a cat that would be twice the size of my fat Yorkie who is around 10 but should be closer to 5-6 lbs. But then again the cats weight has nothing to do with his actual size and height. He may be smaller than her and overweight or larger and look normal I guess. Just sounded so abnormally large for a cat but then again Im used to my small petite girls!~ Hopefully I can get some pics sent to me or go visit him tomorrow and take pics myself!~
ya thats a great idea to get pics, then u can see if its overweight or just how big hes supposed to be
be sure to of course post us some photos
But it all goes on the size of the cat, it was weird whenever we got blue because of how small and skinny she is but she is sooo long! It was weird because we were so used to bigger kitties with the exception of storm who was still bigger than blue

mom_2_3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
~NoNo is a SLIM slender cat. She cant seem to BULK up for nothing. Eats CONSTANTLY! Oreo's growth was stunted for some reason. She isnt be, under 4 lbs full grown. She is SHORT but stocky. She is the height of a 3 month old kitten but she is short and wide while NoNo is long and sleek....! If I do take on this big boy it sure will be a BIG difference. I called my husband at work a few moments ago...its 2 am here haha so he know it was either an emergency with the kids, or about an animal haha. I told him about the cat. He said wow I bet he is a LAZY cat. I had to snap back that Im umm BIG BONED haha and Im not lazy lol so I think maybe I can get the big boy just so hubby doesnt feel bad about what he said. We will see tomorrow when I go see him. Not sure if he will be a FOSTER or if I end up adopting the dear boy. I have a house full of FEMALE animals so a MALE will sure be a BIG difference...in ANY size haha~

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
very true! Ya we always had more females and willie was our first male and then it went to him being an only kittie and midnight then moved in so there were our 2 boys and gradually we added more kitties in the home! and well ur nono sounds just like my blue...blue eats sooooo much and doesnt gain anything shes just super skinny and loong! But there is alot of muscle, she is in shape and everything and currently my arm is her resting spot
but its 3 am here, but ? are u keeping the little ones? I was wondering that for a few days now
but u never no I think thats y i am scared to foster because my luck id feel bad if theres a real connection and adopt and adopt and adopt

mom_2_3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
~Well thats a GOOD question haha. I am already attached to the babies. My husband is VERY allergic to cats and has tried every med on the market but it really just messes him all up so if you ask him...NO haha we arent. BUT he works 6-7 days a week and when he is home he is asleep so its not like he is living in Haties or something haha!~

~My kids think that she had 3 babies because there is 3 of them so they each already claim a baby. My son claims big ol Youssarian of couse, my middle loves the petite and tiny Lazuli witht he white face like mom, and my youngest Destiny is in LOVE with little Tosca. Its going to be hard to let them go. I havent decided for sure yet. 5 cats and a dog seem like alot of animals considering I KEEP several rescue dogs here normally. Right now I dont have any rescues. Thankfully my last pups/dogs were adopted out right after Christmas and I havent had anybody call or drop anymore off. Not to say they wont...soon as I say that Ill find a litter slung over the fence in my back yard!~

~If I can find them the PERFECT home then I will be more than happy to let them go. I have alot of time for them right now but with running a rescue I DO tend to get quite busy and kittens require more time than adults do. My Oreo and NoNo are very independent cats. They know mom can get BUSY and when I do they dont ask for much attention. They know when to LOVE on me and when they want to be loved I do show them affection. With 3 babies I just dont know that it would be best for them especially with me keeping so many animals in my home at one time. Also my children tend to have ALOT of friends over after school and I do after school programs with several of them so I have alot of FEET running up and down my stairs, in and out of rooms etc. I have the babies in my bedroom right now but when they start running around Ill have to confine them to UPSTAIRS only so nobody steps on them!~

Wait until they are a bit older and ask me that question lol haha because right now we have no's, yeses and everything inbetween!

mom_2_3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
~oh and PS...Ive only fostered dogs and puppies before but YES it is VERY hard in the beginning to let them go. Especially if you have raised puppies from birth etc. Its always hard but its okay for me because I know they are going to the BEST POSSIBLE homes. It would be IMPOSSIBLE if I didnt know the homes they were going to...know how extensive the screening process is etc. I do get updates and even visits from past rescue dogs so if I DO adopt out my kittens I will require updates/pics etc!~

~My HARDEST case was 15 puppies I had to tube and bottle feed from DAY ONE because the momma dog had NO MILK! Talk about getting attached and bonded. I had to BE mom to 15 babies from their first hours of life...then watch one by one get adopted out! Whew I was exausted and needed a break but I sure missed them babies~

proudkittiemom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
o wow! I say keep the kittens, my zoo here is 6 cats, 2 labs, 2 guniea pigs, and a rabbit lol! So u can do it
And as for fostering id love to do it but like u said when u raise them from birth or a lil after that it will be hard, and well id give the people a really hard interview too
but thats great that u foster
work ur magic on ur hubby lol

mom_2_3

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
bad news! Not because hubby didnt approve because I had him saying YES DEAR by 4 am on the phone...the rescue called and told me that Oscar...thats his name....is a ONE CAT type of guy. They werent aware I had taken in 2 other cats earlier in the year and poor Oscar is a very jealous and even sometimes agressive cat with other cats. So thats a NO GO because I wont put my girls at risk. She said she had another place lined up for him that doesnt have any other animals so I guess its best he goes to where he can relax and not have to worry about an all out battle. Although I think he would have liked my girls I wouldnt want to put them in danger with a 25 lb cat coming into their home throwing his weight around...literally haha! So Oscar is off to his new home this weekend. I wish the big boy luck!

debskats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Bailey is a huge cat . . . the biggest one I've ever seen and he was just originally a farm kitty. At his heaviest, he was nearly 31 pounds! He's on a diet right now though and is down to 26 pounds 9 ounces. Yes, he was fat at 31 pounds, but he's just a BIG cat. The vet said that she'd like to see him at 18 or 19 pounds, but in all honesty at that weight he'd be skin and bones. The vet wasn't even sure he should weigh that little, and said that he'll need to be monitored as he gets closer to that weight to make sure he's not underweight. Even at over 26 pounds right now, he seems skinny to me!