Makes me wonder about wheat in litter....

hannahgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
With the tragedies of contaminated pet food from major brands, the thought occurred to me - what about cat litters? Could these be harmful as well? My cat uses a litter that is made from wheat... it may seem like a dumb question....

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've thought the exact same thing. It's just one more thing to stress about. I switched to that litter because of clay litter being bad - maybe I should have just stuck with the clay.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had the same though cause I use swheat. But we are all fine, and have around 30 pounds to go.

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
hmm.. honestly hadn't thought about that, we used to use wheat but i switched back to my clay styles.

Since it isn't something they eat and is also treated in a different way than the wheat gluten that was recalled i think it should be ok?

I really feel wheat and rice are not the problem itself, anything could be contaminated, just that these companies got poor sources of them.

I am still using some wheat gluten with the cats
just not any that was recalled of coarse..

but really it's about what you feel ok with, the whole thing is so difficult.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hannahgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First of all, thank you for posting such nice replies...I felt like maybe I was the only one that would think of this...and it's an excellent reminder that it's not the wheat itself or the rice itself, but the contaminating thing that got into them!

I contacted the company that makes the litter just to ask them a few questions about it...they say their wheat is completely grown in Minnesota and North Dakota... I didn't tell them why I was asking and they knew exactly why I was asking - so it appears they have gotten calls from other concerned pet owners as well....

I started buying this litter because my cat has allergy problems, as well. All of this is showing us that we can't be too careful when it comes to such an important topic! Thanks again!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have thought about it but mine have seen the vet and she isnt worried about the litter ... and said they check out fine

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by hannahgirl

First of all, thank you for posting such nice replies...I felt like maybe I was the only one that would think of this...and it's an excellent reminder that it's not the wheat itself or the rice itself, but the contaminating thing that got into them!

I contacted the company that makes the litter just to ask them a few questions about it...they say their wheat is completely grown in Minnesota and North Dakota... I didn't tell them why I was asking and they knew exactly why I was asking - so it appears they have gotten calls from other concerned pet owners as well....

I started buying this litter because my cat has allergy problems, as well. All of this is showing us that we can't be too careful when it comes to such an important topic! Thanks again!
Thank you for calling the company! I had thought about changing what I use, but I really didn't want to change all their food and then their litter to (especially with the concerns I've been having about them not peeing enough).

touro1979

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I called sweatscoop and they said all their wheat comes from the USA (I e-mailed back and thanked them for supporting american farmers.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hannahgirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First it seemed to be wheat gluten, then rice gluten and today I read about some corn gluten - that has been contaminated. My cat's brand of pet food is now included - but not her specific variety of food. The list just keeps growing. I really hope strict regulations will be put in place.