Claw clipping newbie

orty12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Shadow's about five months old and the only time she's had her claws clipped was on her last trip to the vet. They need to be clipped again, but I'm new at this. She trusts me and I play with her paws all the time, so I don't think that's going to be a problem. however I'm not entirely sure how to go about doing it or how much to clip. Any tips?

I found this site. What do you guys think?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Site is very good with the actual pictures of the nail and how much to clip. However I have a problem with the nail clippers they are showing (other then the fingernail ones which are good for small kittens). The bigger clippers are more for dogs.

I prefer the smaller scissor types for cats. Will look for a picture of the type I use - works a lot better cause the clippers are smaller and not as bulky around the feet of a cat.

After you get your clippers, start checking and clip as needed WEEKLY. The more you cut, the better the cat will be and you won't have kitty fighting with you all the time.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Site looks good, I use the scissor type cutters they pictured.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use ones like this. The ones I have are all metal though, no plastic handles, and a little more curved, but basically the same design. I find they are ideal because they are small enough to carry in a pocket so they are always handy.

I do need some new ones though, I took them out of my pocket and put them down somewhere safe. You know, that hidden safe place that you always forget. Or the cats have hidden them. Or the clipper fairies have spirited them away.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks Epona - that's the one we use too - its a lot easier then the ones shown in the link on nail clipping.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

orty12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! I just clipped Shadow (using human nail clippers) and I really didn't have much of a problem with her. I'll definitely look into buying some clippers like the ones you posted.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One final suggestion for anyone else who may be trying this for the first time. If you wait until your cat is asleep they put up much less of a fight!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMO I don't like the "wait till they are asleep" - its too sneaky for me. Cats should learn to accept nail clipping and grooming of any kind when awake.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Thanks Epona - that's the one we use too - its a lot easier then the ones shown in the link on nail clipping.
I find the biggest problem with guiloutine type clippers is that you have to spend time positioning them correctly around the claw - with the scissor type you can easily move from one claw to the next, one hand holding the clippers and the other extending each claw in turn, and do a whole paw quite quickly. I did Sonic's with my own human nail clippers last night (his claws are still small enough, I'm off out today to replace my lost cat clippers!) and it took at least 3 times longer than when I use the scissor type.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

IMO I don't like the "wait till they are asleep" - its too sneaky for me. Cats should learn to accept nail clipping and grooming of any kind when awake.
That's a good point about them accepting the grooming, but waiting until they're asleep could be a helpful method for people who are new to clipping. It buys them a bit more time to figure out the clippers and how to use them with less squirming. If you'd ever heard the words my cat uses when I trim her claws (yes, she let's me but not without cussing!) you might make an exception for her!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jen,

I've heard it all! From cats that purr when clipping nails (only two of them) to the Turkish Angora who despised it - he's the ONLY cat I had that took 2-3 sessions to get all the nails done. Most were inbetween in the cooperativeness.

But in all cases I've never clipped nails when asleep - for me its more awkward to try and hold their foot and figure out how to clip. Much easier when awake and train them to more/less stay in one position on their back to me (like sitting in your lap).

BTW I start at 3 weeks old and let the kitten sprawl on his tummy across my leg to do them with human clippers

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We tried clipping Swanie's claws when we first got him a little over a year ago, something that was new to us. He let us know he didn't want any part of those little cutters. So I did some research, asked the vet, and since the only real reason to clip is so they don't scratch your furniture - we just let them take care of their own. Plenty of scratching posts, trees, and cardborad things around, and we're all happy.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Misty8723

We tried clipping Swanie's claws when we first got him a little over a year ago, something that was new to us. He let us know he didn't want any part of those little cutters. So I did some research, asked the vet, and since the only real reason to clip is so they don't scratch your furniture - we just let them take care of their own. Plenty of scratching posts, trees, and cardborad things around, and we're all happy.
My two both get caught up in things if they don't have their claws clipped. And I am right now nursing some very nasty and deep scratches on my foot where Sonic ran across it a couple of days ago - I can barely walk and I am just thanking my lucky stars that it hasn't got infected. I also have a scratch on my face where he stepped on my while I was asleep. This is because I lost my claw clippers and his claws hadn't been trimmed for 10 days.

They use scratching posts to a) SHARPEN their claws and remove the claw sheath, and b) to scent mark their territory. A scratching post does not blunt their claws.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We also start clipping at a young age so they get used to it. I've always only ever used human nail clippers but I clip sideways not top to bottom. I don't think they ever get to "like" it, but our are very tolerant and we always give them a kiss and a treat afterwards.

When Bijou stands on my leg and I feel his claws, I know it clipping time.
He also likes to knead my cheek and face while he has his little before bed suckling on my neck, so yes indeed, he gets his nails clipped regularly.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

My two both get caught up in things if they don't have their claws clipped. And I am right now nursing some very nasty and deep scratches on my foot where Sonic ran across it a couple of days ago - I can barely walk and I am just thanking my lucky stars that it hasn't got infected. I also have a scratch on my face where he stepped on my while I was asleep. This is because I lost my claw clippers and his claws hadn't been trimmed for 10 days.

They use scratching posts to a) SHARPEN their claws and remove the claw sheath, and b) to scent mark their territory. A scratching post does not blunt their claws.
I know a scratching post doesn't blunt their claws, but they need to do it to remove the claw sheath, and it's better than using the back of my sofa
. I don't see mine getting caught in much of anything, truthfully, and the only time I get scratched is when I do something stupid like play hand under the covers and get pounced on (and that only happened once, a couple nights ago, because I was distracted).

Not saying clipping is a bad thing, just that I prefer not to put us all through that stress when I don't feel it's necessary. It's totally preferable to the alternative of declawing, and I don't think I'd want to try putting those claw sheaths on my cats.