Diamon Foods- can we trust them???

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
GREAT! As if we needed any more drama at the moment.....now Diamond foods is involved with the latest recall that involved China.
They manufacture Natural Balance. GREAT! Doesn't Diamond also manufacture Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul???? I just ordered a huge shipment of the chicken soup at our local pet store- i'm supposed to pick it up this week but i will NOT be buying it if the company that manufactures them is involved in the recent recalls. (as far as i know chicken soup products are NOT on the recall). This is aweful- is there ANYTHING left that i can feed my kitties? That doesn't have anything to do with China, wheat gluetin or enriched rice? I'm really frusterated! Should i go ahead and buy the chicken soup i ordered or play it safe and switch my poor kitties onto yet another food? (chicken soup hasn't been recalled- but now i don't trust Diamond foods - i thought they didn't use products from China, i thought they used us and canadian products only- i guess i was wrong- or is that just for chicken soup? i'm sooo confused!!) I ordered 3 large 15 lb bags of the kitten chow (chicken soup) but i do not want to get them now with the current Diamond food situation.

Here's the link.
http://www.myfoxmemphis.com/myfox/pa...Y&pageId=1.1.1

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
on the diamond website it says none of their products are involved in the recall....but if they manufacture Natural Balance...then that is not true...right? http://www.diamondpet.com/

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

on the diamond website it says none of their products are involved in the recall....but if they manufacture Natural Balance...then that is not true...right? http://www.diamondpet.com/
Technically, no. No "Diamond" foods were involved. However, NB was. It would be like Innova saying that none of their foods were recalled if HealthWise had been recalled. Both are made by Natura, but aren't the same food.

I still feed Diamond Naturals to my dogs. I think Chicken Soup will be safe.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As the manufacturer yes ... they are involved but that is similiar to not using SD dry food since Menu made some of the wet in the recall...

I am not trusting GRAIN at this moment ...

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You know...I would just go for things that CLEARLY STATE ON THE CANS: Grain-Free. And even THAT can be a tad frightening not knowing what else could've come into contact with this nasty stuff.

Or...make your own. I don't know how to do that, but if you can find out, there is an option!

Hell, I might try and do that, as well.

mom of 10 cats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am getting frantic, cause we switched from Nutro to Diamond kibble for our kitties about 6 months ago. Now we are worried sick hoping this will not turn up as part of the recalls.

We are at the point where we want to know: What IS safe to feed the cats? I asked our vet about a home-made diet for them but she told me some horror stories about malnutrition cases she's seen, and I personally know and trust this woman to tell me the truth.

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you current food, whatever it is, is not causing any illness, then it is best to stick with that until all this crap is over. I went to Pet smart and bought cases of the wet food I was using, I checked for the same numbers and expiration date and stocked up. I did the same with the dry. I wish I had done that with Trader Joe's cause they voluntarily took their's off, and now I can't get it and we are out. As soon as it is back, I will be doing that.

If a company voluntarily removes a food as a precaution, and you know for sure that same food (lot#) has not affected your cats, you should continue to use it.
Continuing to change, I think, puts you at more risk.

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I read somewhere amongst all the reports that DVP NB asked to have the RPC added to their food, it was not something diamond itself used in their own products, they stated they did not use RPC.

I see for the chicken soup adult cat they use whole grain brown rice, same with the dogs whole brown and whole white.

When companies have been contracted by other companies to make their foods they follow their recipes ones that are unique to them.

If your pets have been fine on the food i think you should be ok, but again it's about what make you comfortable with.

jennyjen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm at the point where I would like to avoid grains too, but does everyone think it would be necessary to completely avoid ingredients specified as WHOLE grains? I'm really bummed out, because my cat seems to have fallen in love with California Natural, which has whole brown rice as an ingredient.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JennyJen

I'm at the point where I would like to avoid grains too, but does everyone think it would be necessary to completely avoid ingredients specified as WHOLE grains? I'm really bummed out, because my cat seems to have fallen in love with California Natural, which has whole brown rice as an ingredient.
Personally, I feel OK with "whole" grains.

whuckleberry

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

Personally, I feel OK with "whole" grains.
Ditto.

I'm still feeding dry foods with "rice" or "brown rice." One of my wet foods contains "rice flour" and I'm on the fence with it...buy he's been eating it for months with no problems, so...

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JennyJen

Unfortunately, i don't think their is one answer that fits all. I am choosing to continue grains. I feed the dogs the canidae chicken & rice wet and we are starting their dry comparable{they are also going to finish up their DVP UP}.

My cats are still using the DVP UP but i am changing over to wellness indoor which does contain rice, plus i am on the search for another dry but whether it contains rice or not doesn't worry me.

I will certainly avoid foods that have RPC.. since it's not known yet who else bought from the tainted source.

naturestee

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm okay with whole grains like brown rice. Since they're not processed before being put in the food, they *should* be less likely to be contaminated. Less steps along the way = less steps to screw up.

Unfortunately, I recently switched my dry from Cal Nat to Nutro Naturals, just to see if it would make a difference. I emailed Nutro about the RPC this morning. Since my cats are acting normal I'm going to continue feed them this food until I get a response. Hopefully they'll get back to me quickly. If not, I may switch back to Cal Nat anyway, just to be safe.

jennyjen

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I honestly am not surprised at all by the NB recall. Well, I'm surprised that they suddenly decided to add a grain gluten product to their food, especially with the wheat gluten scare. Talk about bad timing. Anyway, I went to the website of the manufacturer of the tainted wheat gluten, and they had several different kinds of processed grain products. I even said to my boyfriend, "Why are they so CONVINCED that it's JUST the WHEAT gluten? What about all of the other grain products that this manufacturer produces?" Ugh. I'm so annoyed.

I've been sampling different dry foods over the past couple of weeks. There have been a few hits, but I liked the simplicity of the ingredients in the California Natural.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, today i got my shipment in of Chicken Soup for the Kitten Lover's Soul at our local Hollywood Pet Star (awesome pet store- they will order just about anything you want at no charge to you and only charge you retail. they are now special ordering large bags of chicken soup for me as well as wildside salmon treats- the only things i really have found to be remotely safe as far as treats go -they make both cat and dog) I REALLY hope it's ok cuz i just got an almost $70 order worth of it! I talked to the vet today (thursday is our spay/neuter day at our shelter so our vet is up there) she said that she thinks the Chick Soup products are ok and likes the ingredients- she isn't too worried because it uses "whole" foods in it and it's holistic. So i hope she's right and this food is safe. I talked to the pet store and asked if anything were to happen recall wise,etc...could i bring it back and get a refund - they said absolutely -and they'd help find a new safe food if need be. ( I LOVE that store!
) So i'm hoping Chicken Soup products are ok- mine only get the dry (the kitten formula for kojak and my foster kittens and the adult formula for my adult kitties) I still do not trust ANY pet food company at this point- so am just praying this one is safe....i'm trying to give my pets what is best.

chrissyr

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We tried the small 6 pound bag of adult Chicken Soup. It went over so well, they were done it by Monday and then the recall hit. Now I'm ticked. I'm to the point of not caring what's in the commercial food, come Saturday, it's all getting tossed out!! My feline family will be on whole prey model raw and that's it. Bugger the pet food companies that don't know wth is going on.