2 New Foster Kittens

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I blame myself for thinking about Smeagol and bottle babies and how I could probably foster some again. My friend Jane just called with news of two kittens that were apparently abandoned.
She was sketchy on the details but the mom has been gone all day and the little ones are crying. I don't know if the nest was tampered with or not but they are bringing them to me.
See what happens when you wish for things? lol
Anyways, I guess their eyes are open already, which is nice since Smeagol's were not and we had to deal with eye infections and the like.
Jane does have somewhere she can take them as of Saturday, but we'll see how attached I am by then and if I really want to let them go. It was SO hard to adopt out Smeagol, but I did survive that.

Anyways, I'll take pictures once I can. I can't help it, I'm excited!!

Devlyn

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The kittens are here and are so cute!

They are about a week old. One is all black with some white belly marks and the other is a grey tabby with NO TAIL! Such precious little ones!
They took the bottle not too bad and had a hard time settling down but now they are sleeping. I'll feed them again before I hit the bed and move them to the cat carrier where the adult kitties won't be able to get at them. When I had Smeagol, I had 4 cats here plus him. Now there's 5 adults and 2 babies. I didn't think it would be that much different but it's so much more work lol.
I get one settled in the box and the other one wakes him up. lol! They are a handful!
I think for my own sanity and that of my other kitties we'll be sending them to the cat sanctuary that Jane's daughter volunteers at so I know they'll be in good hands. I'll be off to work with them tomorrow and I got to dig out all of smeagol's old pouches and stuff, but I think "someone" peed on them!
I'm pretty sure it was Sparkle before she moved to Houston. haha.. guess I have to wash them before I can use them.
That's ok though, I can make some more at work tomorrow.
Oh, I did find out more of the story. Apparently, someone was working on a boat and found the kittens on it. They had to move them so they put them in a box and put them in the woods behind where they were working. The mom didn't show up and take them.
I've asked that they continue to look for mom to see if they can catch her. Even if she doesn't accept her kittens, she would be better off at the cat sanctuary and spayed than running loose.

Wish me luck. I vaguely recall that this first night will be a nightmare.

Devlyn

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh the first night with Jade was terrible! But I survived....& I know you will, too!
Thanks for taking the babies....I always wonder what will happen if there are no foster homes for them.

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I read your posts on Miss Ophelia and I'm so glad you were able to help her with medicine! How is she getting along with everyone now?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Devlyn

Thanks! I read your posts on Miss Ophelia and I'm so glad you were able to help her with medicine! How is she getting along with everyone now?
She isn't trying to kill everyone.
I think this can work until I move out. But, everyone is extra careful about closed doors!

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad she's doing better!!
The little grey one is not nursing very well. He bites on the nipple and does drink the milk that I squeeze gently in his mouth, but he's not latching on. The black boy is latching on and is actually much bigger than his brother. In the kit I have a longer "force feeding" nipple. Should I try this with the gray boy? I don't want to choke him or anything!
They are both very strong and exploring the cat carrier I have them in. They have a warm rice sock to keep them warm and they are snuggled together.
I'll take pictures tomorrow when I have them at the shop.

Devlyn

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Is the grey one able to nurse? Or is there something wrong with him? Is it possible he's full? When I had 5 bottle babies...they were 4 weeks old. It took one 2-3 days to figure out how to work the nipple.

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
They seem to be nursing ok at my 7 am feeding and they both peed so I think they'll be fine

I've only had one bottle baby before so here's a question. Is it ok for both kittens to take turns nursing on one bottle or is that a no no? I have two bottles but one is MUCH better at letting them suckle and letting me squeeze it a bit. The other is a harder plastic.
They both will nurse a little, then chew on the nipple, then nurse a little more. I know it's weird for them to have a schedule rather than just being able to nurse on momma when they want so I figure they should be ok in a couple of days when they go to their new home.

Dev

mardinlyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How long have you been a foster mum?
I live in Turkey and animals live outside. A couple of months ago a lovely cat came to visit each morning. I gave her some treats but didn't allow her in doors. Gradually she spent more time with us and was allowed in for short visits. We noticed that she was pregnant but didn't worry as she would go off somewhere to have them!!!!!!
Last friday she came in and promptly gave birth on the floor. Luckily i had a spare cat box and put her and the kittens in there. She has since moved them to our wardrobe

I don't want her to stay there to long as the kittens will be moving about soon so have got a large box and put her cat box part way in so there is plenty of space. I want to move them all there but am not sure if it's the right thing to do. Have you any advice for me, i have never had kittens only older cats and at a loss. Thanks.

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi!
I fostered a 3 day old orphan last fall starting on my birthday Oct 2. The two little ones came to me two days ago, and left with my friend tonight. She'll be taking them to their new foster tomorrow. Pippin (one of my adult cats) has been ill recently and stress exacerbates it so I didn't think it was fair to him to have the wee ones here and taking my attention from him. Maybe when he's better I'll foster again.
Putting mama and kittens in a spare room, bathroom or large closet, or in a large dog style crate would be a good idea. I've never had a mom and kits, just orphans. I think you can depend on mama to take good care of her babies as long as she has food (you'll want to feed her kitten food if it's available), water and a nice warm quiet place.
There are lots of people who have way more experience than me so please ask around!
It looks like you have been adopted. No doubt she found she could trust you enough to have her kittens in your house.

Devlyn

Originally Posted by mardinlyn

How long have you been a foster mum?
I live in Turkey and animals live outside. A couple of months ago a lovely cat came to visit each morning. I gave her some treats but didn't allow her in doors. Gradually she spent more time with us and was allowed in for short visits. We noticed that she was pregnant but didn't worry as she would go off somewhere to have them!!!!!!
Last friday she came in and promptly gave birth on the floor. Luckily i had a spare cat box and put her and the kittens in there. She has since moved them to our wardrobe

I don't want her to stay there to long as the kittens will be moving about soon so have got a large box and put her cat box part way in so there is plenty of space. I want to move them all there but am not sure if it's the right thing to do. Have you any advice for me, i have never had kittens only older cats and at a loss. Thanks.

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I totally forgot to upload pictures today as I was so busy at work. My wee bairns have gone off to their new foster home and I think I gave them a good start. I'll miss them as I've gotten so attached in such a short time.
I gave them little names. The black boy is "Bear" the little grey girl without a tail is "Mouse". They were just as sweet as can be and so cuddly. Bear gained an ounce in two days, but Mouse isn't gaining quickly. They both had little scabby "growths" on their back legs and Bear had one on his tail. They were very strange and hard. I'm hoping it wasn't anything too serious and I'm sure they'll be off to the vet once they get to their new home. Does anyone know what it might have been? I have experience with ringworm, and it was kind of like that, but harder, not flakey so much and very thick. Some of it peeled off Mouse's leg and part of it split, leaving a little blood and a scab. It was very weird and I don't think it was ringworm unless it was some sort of mutant strain.
It might have been a scab from an injury, but it didn't look quite right.
Anyways, I will try to remember pics tomorrow. I took quite a few because they are just so sweet and I wanted something to remember them by.
Fortunately, I'll be able to get updates on how they are doing.
BTW, they both got to be excellent nursers and were much easier to feed than Smeagol. I just held the nipple in front of their mouths and they latched right on.
Kittens are cuddly bundles of JOY!

Devlyn

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh my too adorable! Had to be hard to let them go! Its wonderful you will be able to keep up with their progress. Please let us know too
I want them

devlyn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It WAS so hard, especially knowing how much Pippin loves kittens when they get a little older. Watching him play with Smeagol and groom him and cuddle with him was so sweet and wonderful! I get really attached quickly too, which I guess is the point. They WANT someone to fall in love with them and take care of them and how can you resist??

Jane told me that they got to the cat sanctuary and are doing fine. I'll have more updates on Mouse and Bear as time goes on. I'm hoping to go visit the sanctuary, which has lots of domestic cats as well as big cats their "owners" couldn't care for.
The woman who owns it runs it SOLELY on donations and with her own money. If she has a website or a place to donate, I'll post it too, because she really is doing amazing work!

Devlyn