Fosters broke into the litter pan and ate poo! EWWWW!!!! HELP! How do i keep him out?

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
EWWWWWWWWWWWW!!! I am soooooo grossed out
I just cought Fosters doing the most disghusting thing! Kojak's litter pan is in the living room under a desk-so it's sort of hidden. It's a covered litter pan and it has a flap. Fosters just "broke into it" and stole poo!!!!
He then proceeded to eat it while i was getting onto him and telling him to stop!!!!
It was soooooooooo gross! Yuck! You better believe i held him down and brushed his teeth after his little snack
So here's my question- how do i keep him out of it??Help! The poo-eater must be stopped!!!!!

sweet72947

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a few suggestions:
1. Constantly monitor the cat box and make sure there's no poo.

2. Put bitter apple or something like it on the poo and let him try it. The icky taste might make him stay away. (normally I think cat poo tastes sweet to dogs).

3. Teach him a "leave it" command and tell him to leave it when he goes near the cat box.

I know how gross it is though, my little terrier benji when and picked up some poo from the cat box and brought it over and set it over on the floor! He was just about to start eating it when I rushed over with a tissue and picked it up before he could get it. Dogs can be so disgusting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sweet72947

I have a few suggestions:
1. Constantly monitor the cat box and make sure there's no poo.

2. Put bitter apple or something like it on the poo and let him try it. The icky taste might make him stay away. (normally I think cat poo tastes sweet to dogs).

3. Teach him a "leave it" command and tell him to leave it when he goes near the cat box.

I know how gross it is though, my little terrier benji when and picked up some poo from the cat box and brought it over and set it over on the floor! He was just about to start eating it when I rushed over with a tissue and picked it up before he could get it. Dogs can be so disgusting.
Thankyou for the suggestions
/ Here's some of the delimas though- it is impossible for me to constantly monitor the litter pan as i work a lot and also have foster kittens. I do however make sure it's cleaned out every day so i guess that would help
/ About the bitter apple- the little weirdo LIKES it!
I mean he will eat just about anything (haha obviously
). He also knows the sit/stay command and usually does it VERY well- but i guess the poo was too exciting for him
As soon as i said something to him he chomped it down as quick as he could before i could do anything
EWW! it was sooo nasty! I would move the litter pan behind a baby gate (what my sister does for her two dogs to keep them out) but he is an australian shepherd and has easily cleared a 5' fence- so that wouldn't be a problem for him to clear a baby gate. I'm not sure what to do
I was thinking about asking colin to add a piece of wood to the front of the desk with a hinge that opens so that i can clean it and a small opening just big enough for the kitties- not the dogs to get into- i think that might work
What do you think?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
You could try using the Booda Dome litter box, the one with the steps. That way your dog could not possibly get into the cat's poop. It may be disgusting to us but cat poop is considered a gourmet treat to dogs.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 18 Gal. Rubbermaid totes. I cut a hole in the top & have a top-entry LB. The dog's can't get into it. I've never had a problem when I keep the lids on.