Little Linus, one of my 4-5 week old kittens has to have surgery Thrs-he needs vibes

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tomorrow my little Linus, one of my three little 4-5 week old tiger tabbie kittens, is supposed to have emergency surgery. Could ya'll spare some vibes for the little guy? It is very risky to do surgery on a kitten that is under 2lbs. Their tissue is very fragile- like rice paper and they are very sensitive to anestesia,etc that young- he doesn't even weigh a pound yet. Our vet that does spay/neuters at our shelter doesn't like doing anything on an animal under 2lbs with good reason. However, sometimes in special cases, like his- exceptions are necessary. Tomorrow she will make that call if it's safe enough to go ahead with the surgery or not. He seems to be in a bit of pain- one of his testicals is VERY messed up- it's hanging quite far below the other one and is blood red and inflamed. He is having a hard time trying to use the potty and keep himself clean. I think his sisters have tried to nurse on him thinking he has nipples and have as a result hurt him. I put him on antibiotics two days ago to help the inflamation and try to ward off infection. So i'm hoping if he does wind up having the surgery tomorrow (right now we're not 100% she'll do it because he's sooooo tiny- but it is definitely necessary). I'm really worried about him because he is soo small and surgery when they're that small is risky.
Fortunately he is a male kitten- so they do seem to heal/recover easier than females as they normally do not require stitches and it is less invasive of a procedure on them- however, given his situation and medical problem- i'm not sure what all will be required. I'm guessing a full pediactric neuter. Could ya'll please keep my sweet little foster kitten in your prayers tomorrow. I hate to see him hurting, but i'm also scared for him to be altared that young. He does seem like he's in pain though- and the area is VERY red and swollen...i tried to very very gently clean his bottom earlier with a baby wipe (he was dirty) and he screamed out in pain- it really upsets me to see on of my little ones hurting like that- so i'm hoping tomorrow he will do ok and she'll be able to altar him and resolve the problem so he won't be in pain.

jamasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awww poor little Linus
I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers and send out {{{{{Mega Get Well Quick Vibes}}}}} to you

tiffanyl

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aww, poor little sweetie!
I am praying that all goes well and he can have the surgery so that he is not in pain anymore.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, this is so sad that a tiny kitten is in so much pain. I hope the vet will be able to do the surgery and the lil guy will be all right. Many good vibes and prayers this little cutie.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankyou everyone- i really appreciate it! I'm soo worried about him being soo small
I just fed them all their lunch a minute ago (haha about the 4th lunch of the afternoon
) and when i cleaned him off after his lunch he once again started screaming bloody murder even though i was being as gentle as possible. (i have to keep the area VERY clean because any urine or feces can really irritate the already irritated site and make it worse. the cleaner he is the less chance for infection.) I'm going to get the scale out later at the next feeding and re-weigh him just to be definite how much he weighs. I'm PRAYING he is at a pound now at least. (i don't think he is, but i'm really hoping i'm wrong!) I have seen the vet do several surgeries on kittens that were 1lb as an emergency and they wound up just fine- so i'm hoping that can be the case here. He is the runt of the litter out of the three so i'm hoping he weighs more than i think. i'll update after their next feeding and let ya'll know. Tonight though just to be on the safe side, no more formula for him after a certain time just in case she does want to do surgery tomorrow.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by goosehazel

Lots and lots of vibes for the little guy
I'll be praying for him
Thankyou Laura

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, baby Linus... please be strong and come through the surgery with flying colors! I'll be thinking of you and sending light...

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankyou everyone for the vibes. I think i'm just nervous too because my littler of 3 tinsy tiny kittens recently passed so i'm just scared for him to be placed in a situation that he might not recover from- but at this point if we don't do something it could be bad too -so i'm just praying it all turns out ok.

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sending lots and lots of good vibes for you and Linus.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Awwww poor little Linus, I hope he does ok!!!

Not sure if you noticed, but you said he was getting a "geriatric" neuter
I think you mean a pediatric neuter... A geriatric is an old person :p

It made me kinda giggle though, this little kitten with his poor swollen testical hobbling into "geriatric" surgery.

Anyway, you have all of my good vibes for tomorrow!!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Awwww poor little Linus, I hope he does ok!!!

Not sure if you noticed, but you said he was getting a "geriatric" neuter
I think you mean a pediatric neuter... A geriatric is an old person :p

It made me kinda giggle though, this little kitten with his poor swollen testical hobbling into "geriatric" surgery.

Anyway, you have all of my good vibes for tomorrow!!!
oops! i changed it
thankyou! goodness what is it with me and typos today!
i think the sprained finger doesn't help with the typing
by the way that was a funny mental image

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
oh the poor thing!
He will definately be in my thoughts and I will say a prayer that everything goes well tomorrow.
he is so lucky to have you to care for him, Nikki.