Tuna?

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some people I know feed their cats tuna. I was wondering if it's okay. Is it bad for them, good for them, or somewhere inbetween?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Tuna has high magnesium...which isn't good for cats, can cause UTI issues. I would suggest it no more than 1x a week. Once a month, if even that, sounds better to me.

However, you might consider looking into Solid Gold Blended Tuna.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Asteria

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ok, thanks for the info!
I will check out that link.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello There.

I am guilty of feeding my cats tuna. One cat has eaten it for 9 years-no problems here! Both cats eat a little tuna in the morning, dry food (Innova)in the afternoon, and small amount tuna at night. I may bypass the tuna at night and give my older cat milk-she loves milk and give my other cat dry (Innova) moistened with water.

My cats are happy and healthy and I can't wait to get 100 posts so I can post a pic. Also, I know I can post before then using a URL, but, I am too lazy to set up a URL, I am a busy fur-mommy.

I see nothing wrong with tuna; if a cat lived off the shore what would it be eating?

I know there are some good canned foods out there, I have tried many. If I don't want to eat it, then my cats won't eat it either. When I open up a can of food, it should look good enough for me to eat.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Tuna has high magnesium...which isn't good for cats, can cause UTI issues. I would suggest it no more than 1x a week. Once a month, if even that, sounds better to me.

White Cat Lover, Do you have scientific back-up for this claim? If you do, then I want check it out. So far, I have not had any health problems with my domestic short-hair cats. Do you think tuna is not good for certain breeds?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ddcats

White Cat Lover, Do you have scientific back-up for this claim? If you do, then I want check it out. So far, I have not had any health problems with my domestic short-hair cats. Do you think tuna is not good for certain breeds?
Here is one link. Long term feeding can cause health problems to arise. Tuna is not 100% complete for a cat, it is essentially lacking important things a cats body needs.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok, I read it. Well, they do get premium dry food. So that should give them all the vitamins they need, I am still feeding them the tuna. They like it. Once I tried the 'other can stuff' and what a horrible waste of money and time. THEY love their tuna.

Thanks, White Cat Lover.

O, I just remembered, they were getting so angry at me because I was hungry and in a hurry and ate their open can of tuna. OMG, it was so funny, they thought I was being such a hog. They thought they would never see their tuna again.

bonnie1965

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed Seb Meow Mix pouches (which have tuna as first ingredient) in addition to free feeding both cats dry food. I had someone on this board (sorry cannot remember who) tell me that one pouch of the MeowMix per day probably would be okay, unless he shows signs of UTI issues.

I think if your cats are healthy and its just a little bit, you are okay. With all the food recalls lately, if you have something that has been working for 9 years then why not continue?

However, I am not expert and am sure other people here would be more qualified to advise
Can't wait to see your photos!

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Wouldn't it be interesting if pet owners took their cats into the supermarket and petfood stores and see WHAT THEY WANT to buy!?

tekgrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I dunno...when I had my kittens in Petsmart, I think Palas wanted to buy a few birds...for...uh...play.

ddcats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tekgrl

I dunno...when I had my kittens in Petsmart, I think Palas wanted to buy a few birds...for...uh...play.
Too funny! I just had my parakeet out and she was sitting on my cat's back, until she just flew away. The parakeet loves to feel the cat fur on her feet. My cat perked up and I kept saying to her while I frantically tried to catch the bird, no, no, no, don't.

followedbydolls

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I tried my cats with that tuna blend from solid gold, only "the baby" liked it.. i too have heard issues with tuna, but i admit i was getting wet food desperate so gave this a go.

2furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Like anything else, I think in moderation it is ok. Mine loves it and she gets a teeny tiny bit in the morning and evening. My vet suggested giving her mostly all juice (which is basically water) and just a pea size amount of tuna with it. I started doing that over a year ago and she loves it. What I do is... when I open the can of tuna, rather then draining the water, I fill it up with additional water so it will soak up the tuna flavor and give her that throughout the week. She looks forward to her little treat!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use ANY fish sparingly. And I don't feed my cats canned tuna or any canned with tuna. They might get a nibble from human tuna or some of the fish we eat for dinner, but that's the extent of fish eating.

Too many cats get hooked on fish/tuna and start not eating anything else. I never fed my rex kittens tuna or fish as kittens - only beef, liver, chicken, turkey, or lamb foods.

One of the owners later had asked me about why the kitten didn't eat fish that was offered to them....

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

One of the owners later had asked me about why the kitten didn't eat fish that was offered to them....
That's true! I serve fishy flavors very sparingly...lately I've picked up a few as a "treat" and they all look at me like I'm nuts. Oh well.