Grain free drys

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are any of the others besides Orijen UTI friendly? I desperately need one for 3 of mine....they won't eat their wet & I am not opening the new 20 lbs. bag of MAX cat, I actually want to return it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Are any of the others besides Orijen UTI friendly? I desperately need one for 3 of mine....they won't eat their wet & I am not opening the new 20 lbs. bag of MAX cat, I actually want to return it.
I beleive TRU said Sergetti has the stuff in uti gel in it so it may also be an option...

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I beleive TRU said Sergetti has the stuff in uti gel in it so it may also be an option...
Actually EVO and Raw Instinct have methionine as well...however saying that those 2 are UTI friendly kind of contradicts some things I have heard. What would you say Sharky?

I'm not sure of the varying amounts in each one, though.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think the EVO & ash level....that one concerns me. But, honestly, EVO is the only one I can get locally. And I need cat food TODAY! Here is the link to EVO.

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, you're right about the ash. Core looks a lot better at 7.62% ...but as you said, you can only get the EVO locally.

Have you talked to the vet and/or looked into the gel acidifier for them?

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Core is hard to come across and the ingredients are a bit meh compared to EVOs. I have a bag at home and some small sample bags, and am going to use it in rotation with the others, but Orijen seems to be top of the pick list in taste for all of my four

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by beandip

Have you talked to the vet and/or looked into the gel acidifier for them?
I have to order it online from someplace, the vet recommended Drs. Foster & Smith. But....then I have to get it in Ophelia. I hardly make it through twice daily pilling alive.
And I finally built up Molly's trust to the point that I can pet her without being bit. I just do not think that those would be good things to ruin with medicine. I tried hiding hairball meds in canned food once & they knew, too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am going to defer your question Chloe as I am unsure if an acidfier would do the trick... I was told that UTI is the only problem the two vets I work with dont recommend EVO

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the links!! I did find EVO and I was estatic to see there are grain-free dry foods out there.....but didn't know there was even as many as you posted. Now...to FIND them!!

Thank You!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just gave the three UTI kitties some Raw Instinct. They were so excited my hand is now ripped up.
They got to the bowls & looked at me like "what is the junk!?!? :eek:nfire"
Now I'm going to wait them out until they eat.

tru

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have some of the M&C UTI paste for cats. Many of my cats like it and lick it right up. Of course the only one that doesn't seem to like it is the one that needs it so I have gone back to giving him the Carpon.

In regards to the grain free foods and urinary tract health, both Orijen and Serengeti claim their food is designed for good urinary health for cats. Both have cranberries and blueberries in the ingredients for that purpose.

My opinion is that the Serengeti may be better because of having the DL Methionine in it where the Orijen doesn't.

In taste tests with my little crew of 19, some seem to prefer the Serengeti, some the Orijen and they all seem to prefer the Max Cat Adult that I've been mixing with.

As far as what's healthy.......... WHO THE HECK KNOWS?!?!

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I am going to defer your question Chloe as I am unsure if an acidfier would do the trick... I was told that UTI is the only problem the two vets I work with dont recommend EVO
Yeah, true...it would only do the trick if they were getting UTIs because of a pH issue...I'm only fighting pH here, bacteria has only been the byproduct of very bad episodes, in our case. Other cats are different, though. What a nightmare.

I just gave the three UTI kitties some Raw Instinct. They were so excited my hand is now ripped up.
They got to the bowls & looked at me like "what is the junk!?!? :eek:nfire"
Now I'm going to wait them out until they eat.
No way!! You tell them that my cats eat that stuff up!!

The crumbs make a good topper for their least favorite canned flavors.

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The store that we buy our food at carries Wellness Core, Raw Instinct and EVO...which is the best choice?

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by kittiesx2

The store that we buy our food at carries Wellness Core, Raw Instinct and EVO...which is the best choice?
I think that depends on your kitties. Whichever one they will do best on. I believe it was said that Core isn't "the best" of the grain frees....

Raw Instinct is very "crumbly" whereas EVO is round kibble. Maybe pick one that the kits would prefer the kibble texture of?

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The crumbly texture put mine off it and I find I waste a lot of food because they will not eat the crumbs so am better off with a harder kibble type rather than something crumbly

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by carrie640

LOL! Now it is confusing picking something "ok" !
I guess, IMO, Innova EVO would be the best way to go. My three UTI kitties are begging for something edible, not the Raw Instinct!

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I think that depends on your kitties. Whichever one they will do best on. I believe it was said that Core isn't "the best" of the grain frees....

Raw Instinct is very "crumbly" whereas EVO is round kibble. Maybe pick one that the kits would prefer the kibble texture of?
Thanks
I'll check and see if they have some samples for my cats to try. Diesel is almost entirely on raw now and Tucker's my picky one so I'll let him decide.

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I guess, IMO, Innova EVO would be the best way to go. My three UTI kitties are begging for something edible, not the Raw Instinct!
I'm guessing that'll probably be his choice too
Not sure how he'd feel about crumbs