In or out, that is the question???

flinni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all,

We have a 10-month old cat (Millie) who is chipped, fully vaccinated and has been spayed. Over the past 5-6 weeks we have started to let her outdoors at weekends, during the evening and occasionally early in the morning. So far, so good, and she seems to enjoy the freedom of this new 'world' she can explore.

Now the problem! fitting a cat flap isn't an easy option. We have a double glazed patio door to the rear of the house and I have been informed that fitting a cat flap will require a whole new pane of glass, which isn't advised anyway as this could potentially weaken the pane. As my partner and I are out for most of the day, at present Millie is stuck indoors on her own.

Now is it such a good idea to get a cat used to playing outside and then locking them up during the day, I personally think not! On the other hard, I wouldn't want to force her outside during the day when we aren't around, just in case she gets scared and has no where to run to. In addition, there are quite a few (larger) cats in the neighborhood.

Anyone got any ideas on what would be best - In or Out during the day and if out, how do I 'introduce' her to the idea of staying outside during the day!!! What is the best way to acclimatise her to the outside.

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have lost too many cats from being outside, due to disease or accidents. I personally will not ever let another cat outside.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm probably not the person to ask, because I keep my cats indoors unless it's under supervision. My cats are house cats, and if a situation arises they don't know how to defend themselves- even though PHX has his claws. He was always an indoor cat, as far as I'm aware of.

But I'm sure someone with better advice will come along.. I just wanted to say Welcome to TCS!

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well I keep my cats indoors, but I know people who allow their cats outdoors when they're at home but make sure they're safely indoors when they go out so I don't think that would be a problem. I'm sure she'd get used to your routine - eg going outside in the morning before breakfast, coming indoors for something to eat then being shut indoors while you're out during the day, then being allowed out again when you get home. An alternative would be to provide a safe haven for her outdoors - such as an outdoor kennel or bed etc set up in a shed. Cats should always have access to somewhere warm and safe in case of bad weather, being chased by another cat etc.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would always keep my cats IN. I love them too much to subject them to the dangers they face outside.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I keep my cats indoors, but they are deaf, blind, & mentally "slow".

Personally, if I had "normal" cats, they would be indoors as well. Perhaps you might consider teaching Millie to walk on a leash? Then you could go outdoor together & bond. Also, you would be there whenever she is out, so could ensure her safety.

tekgrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Have you considered another feline companion? Then she will have someone to play with when you are not home.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All my cats go out, and its become 'their choice' as to when, over the years and also depending on the weather.

Pepsi is definately the night bird and prefers to have access to the great outdoors at night

Miss Moofi is a sort of come and go kitty

Dino is an old boy and never really ventures far from my side, he will go out but not if I've gone out, so he's a homebird really

Teddy is our newbie and during the day he can come and go, but at night he is locked in his own room, our basement.

I do however do a head-count when we go out. As long as I have seen where they are 'in or out' I am happy

When to leave them out, depends on your time at home, so if you work full-time, start at weekend. When you go out for a short period maybe two hours, leave her out, you can extend this over time and it wont be long before she is out and about all day. If the weather is bad obviously she will stay in. Do you have a bolt hole for her, maybe a shed or similar ? Have a bed in there for her. She will find it, cats are very intelligent animals.

Good luck and just take your time with her

critter crazy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Cats are indoors! I would not subject my cats to the Dangers outside. If they were to ever go outside, it would be with a harness and a leash, but I dont even ever see that happening. I love my babies to much fro that!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ann....I've got to ask, though....isn't Spain a little "safer" than in the US? I see the OP is in the UK....so it is likely slightly safer to let the kitty in question outside.

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

Ann....I've got to ask, though....isn't Spain a little "safer" than in the US? I see the OP is in the UK....so it is likely slightly safer to let the kitty in question outside.
I dont really know, for me it depends where you live.

Dino & Pepsi lived there (UK) and they are both over 13yrs old and both went out all the time

anakat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is still the norm in the UK for cats to go out. We do not have predators like you do in the US.
If you have a garden shed could you put a cat flap in that so she had somehwere to go if she wanted to?

jaffacake

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by urbantigers

Well I keep my cats indoors, but I know people who allow their cats outdoors when they're at home but make sure they're safely indoors when they go out so I don't think that would be a problem. I'm sure she'd get used to your routine - eg going outside in the morning before breakfast, coming indoors for something to eat then being shut indoors while you're out during the day, then being allowed out again when you get home. An alternative would be to provide a safe haven for her outdoors - such as an outdoor kennel or bed etc set up in a shed. Cats should always have access to somewhere warm and safe in case of bad weather, being chased by another cat etc.
Originally Posted by mooficat

All my cats go out, and its become 'their choice' as to when, over the years and also depending on the weather.

When to leave them out, depends on your time at home, so if you work full-time, start at weekend. When you go out for a short period maybe two hours, leave her out, you can extend this over time and it wont be long before she is out and about all day. If the weather is bad obviously she will stay in. Do you have a bolt hole for her, maybe a shed or similar ? Have a bed in there for her. She will find it, cats are very intelligent animals.

Good luck and just take your time with her

I`ve read a great book called Cat Confidential by Vicky Halls. She is a cat behoviourist in the uk and this book is full of good suggestions and well worth a read.
Kitty loves to go out but he has a catflap so can come and go as he pleases but I didn`t get him as a kitten so not sure about that side of things.
Is it possible to fit a cat-flap in the wall instead?
I think it depends on what your cat is used to and if you got her used to just going out when you are home, like morning and evening then that should be ok.
Good Luck!

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
Just a reminder to everyone, the poster has asked "How do I acclimatise her to the outside?, not "Do I let her go outside?"

Please remember we have members from many different countries. Some of these countries do not have the same dangers as the US. Please check the poster's location before jumping to conclusions.

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mooficat

Hey ! ! does that imply that I dont love my cats then
NO, NO, NO, NO, NO! Neither me or anyone else has stated that you don't love your cats. This is just OUR personal belief. I do not live in a safe enough location for my cats to go outdoors. So I stated that I love my cat enough to not subject him to that dangerous area! I'm sorry if you felt offended

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is doing okay at night then likely there isn't much need to help her get used to it.

I would strongly recommend against anything that prevents her from being able to get back inside whenever she chooses. I've seen some fantastic contraptions that allow cats in and out of windows, such as, some way for the cat to get to the window and then a way to leave the window open wide enough for the flap... I wish I could draw it for you...

Many of our cats here are perfectly happy being permanently indoors, so if you do decide to keep her indoors rather than out, don't be concerned that you are doing something wrong. Many cats have less interest in being outside than we think anyway

Good luck!

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mybabyphx

NO, NO, NO, NO, NO! Neither me or anyone else has stated that you don't love your cats. This is just OUR personal belief. I do not live in a safe enough location for my cats to go outdoors. So I stated that I love my cat enough to not subject him to that dangerous area! I'm sorry if you felt offended
Well I think we can safely say we all love our cats - that is not the point of the OP's question.

I understand & accept why some people keep cats in, but for those of us who let them out, there are tips, advice and suggestions that are useful, which is what I think the OP was looking for.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

flinni

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for all the responses. To answer a couple of the questions;

On a leash - this is probably a no-go I'm afraid, she's a pretty independent cat and I can't imagine her taking to a harness to kindly. Anyway, when we are around and outside, it isn't a problem as we can keep an eye on her.

Feline company during the day - now this is an interesting point and will probably divert the thread a little, but her goes. We visited our local cat protection league to discuss this situation and basically they advised that a male kitten would be best, but they wouldn't provide one. The reason, and I quote 'they tend to wander too far and aren't suited well to being house bound. Basically, due to the proximity of a busy road (about 3/4 mile away) they said this was too dangerous. They said a female cat/kitten would be best as they don't travel to far from 'the nest', however I'm not sure if acquiring another female cat would just upset Millie now she has her own turf. Any suggestions/thoughts?

Shed/Shelter Yes, this isn't a problem and fitting a cat flap here wouldn't be an issue. We even have a dog kennel (from the previous house owners) that she can use. The only issue is that I'd need to get an electronic/magnetic flap so that it’s not used by half the cats in the neighbourhood.

Cat flap in the wall & contraptions - Firstly, Wall: not possible I'm afraid, it's either in the glass pane or not at all, the wall area has to many pipes/drains etc. However, talking about windows, we do have an angled roof that provides a perfect run up to one of our back bedrooms. Therefore, it would be possible to fit a flap in the back bedroom window. (I often let her in via this Window anyway as she seems to sit on this part of the roof during the evening). Might be an unusual location for a cat flap, but could be feasible.

If anyone could comment on the 'additional cat' query that would be great, our original plan anyway was to get her a friend and keep her indoors during the day.