Cat runs from me

stubbychester

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
About 6 months ago my cat of 10 years has started to run from me when I approach her. Sometimes, she does not run, but usually she runs as if she doesnt know me. She does not like many people, just me and the hubby and a few choice others. I have another cat and they get along just fine and I have had him for about 4 years. The female is spayed,about 9 years ago and the male was neutered at 6 months. The two get along, smell eachother, eat together, lick each other and play. But my female cat of 10 years runs from me and hardly ever comes to me like she used to...any ideas of why??

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has she been to a vet yet? Any time there's a dramatic change in behavior it's best to rule out a health problem first. Something could be causing her pain, making her feel uncertain. Or maybe her vision or hearing isn't what it used to be.

larke

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you changed your shampoo or hand lotion? Seriously, think of all the odd things that might make her leery... new slippers?

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Has she been to a vet yet? Any time there's a dramatic change in behavior it's best to rule out a health problem first. Something could be causing her pain, making her feel uncertain. Or maybe her vision or hearing isn't what it used to be.
That's where my head went to also. If you haven't done a baseline geriatric profile on her yet, get her to a vet and do so. They run a complete blood test and even if it doesn't show anything wrong with her right now, they can compare those tests to ones done later to see if anything has changed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stubbychester

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for everyones input. I havent had her to a vet yet. Her eyesite is still great, she stalks and does normal cat things, her hearing is good. When I take a walk and call, she does come and follow but then wont let me get near to her. She will follow or lead and if I get to close, she'll run. Then she will lay down roll over and wait for me and then run away when I get close. I havent changed anything that I can think of, but we did get a new front door, which she will not enter. So her sight is good and so is her hearing. Just today, she did not run when I found her sleeping in the barn, but let me pet her. When I do get to pick her up, she does not try to leap out of my arms and even will let me turn her over and rub her belly. I could have scared her last fall when I was carrying her near the neighbors cows who were across the fence. She did not like that at all. She will still ride on the four wheeler with me holding her, that is when I can catch her. So do cats hold a grudge that long, she goes over to the cows alot and just lays in the neighbors field when the cows are there...so what can I do...be patient i guess. anyones ideas are welcomed.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Vet. seriously, make a vet appointment soon.