Need a Hypoallergenic/Allergy Cat Food that's still SAFE

justplainheidi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Previously I posted about my poor cat Winnie with the gunky white eye. The special vet Opthm. I took her to gave me medication to treat the eye but didn't really discuss what caused the irritation. Based on her previous issues with Rodent Ulcer, and my research via the Internet and feeding experiments I was able to determine that both the Rodent Ulcers AND the eye issues were linked to a food allergy.

At the time, Natural Balance's Venison and Green Pea was highly recommended as a nonprescription food for cats with food allergies.

Since it would be nearly impossible to feed my shy cat separately from the rest, I started feeding all 5 the pricey NB stuff. Winnie's mouth ulcers disappeared and while her eye didn't heal instantly it really was looking better.

And now I find that this expensive and supposedly wonderful cat food is being recalled!

Not only am I freaked out about the fact that I've been feeding my babies this stuff, I'm also at a loss as to what I should be feeding them now.

Can anyone PLEASE recommend a (currently) SAFE food for cats with food allergies?

I'm going to try to go through the list of SAFE cat foods, but from what I can see so far, it's nearly impossible to find any Hypoallergenic foods
I appreciate any help you guys can offer. Right now I've removed all the NB from their bowl and replaced it with some of the Anergen food I had at home that they really seemed to hate :p I'm sure they're looking forward to any recommendations for a yummy, safe, hypoallergenic food as well

Thanks,
Heidi

luxum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I picked up some IVD Royal Canin green pea and rabbit from my vet for my cats, they seem pretty enthusiastic about it. That brand also comes in green pea and venison, lamb, and duck. There are also the Science Diet D/D formulas that come in green pea and venison, duck, and rabbit, but the ingredients on the D/D don't look as good to me. Those are of course prescription only, but your vet should be able to hook you up.

The only other non-prescription hypoallergenic foods on the market other than the NB that i'm aware of are the California Natural line, chicken and rice, and herring and sweet potato. I'm sort of scared of the chicken and rice right now, i had a couple bad bags of it from the same lot number, but that may be coincidental. The herring and sweet potato my cats love, but the one with the food allergy can't hold it down, i think she can't deal with fish.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

justplainheidi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks Luxum...
I was just looking in to purchasing the California Natural Herring and Sweet Potato. It almost sounds good enough for me to eat
Hopefully my sensitive little kitty won't experience the same reaction yours did

Thanks again!
~Heidi

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by JustPlainHeidi

Thanks Luxum...
I was just looking in to purchasing the California Natural Herring and Sweet Potato. It almost sounds good enough for me to eat
Hopefully my sensitive little kitty won't experience the same reaction yours did

Thanks again!
~Heidi
try finding a lamb based food... FISH is a HIGH allergen

luxum

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
try finding a lamb based food... FISH is a HIGH allergen
Yeh, i really think that the prescription products are probably the best bet for right now if you need hypoallergenic.

justplainheidi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm I thought it was the corn that Winnie was allergic to, never really thought that it could be the fish. Gah...this gets more and more confusing :p

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Call the vet ... OTC there are a few lamb based foods but youll have to do some research

justplainheidi

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have no problem with the lamb but it seems that all lamb comes with rice and for now I'd be more comfortable with an entirely grain free food. I'll contact the vet but I think I'll have to keep researching anyways. Hard to believe it could be this difficult to find a cat food that I feel OK with giving my kitties

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by JustPlainHeidi

I have no problem with the lamb but it seems that all lamb comes with rice and for now I'd be more comfortable with an entirely grain free food. I'll contact the vet but I think I'll have to keep researching anyways. Hard to believe it could be this difficult to find a cat food that I feel OK with giving my kitties
Raw instict is grain free and low fish ... chicken based thou

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

Raw instict is grain free and low fish ... chicken based thou
FWIW, my cats have all come to love the Raw Instinct. They only get it as treats, though...some other people have said that their cats got tired of it after a bag or two.