Promise rings

artharitis

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So my boyfriend was talking about giving me a promise ring. I am 21 and he is 22. For some reason I associate promise rings with JR high/younger people. Therefor, I really don't like the idea of one. I feel slightly selfish and materialistic for that.. but I really feel like I would rather wait till engagement time comes around. I expressed this to him (I probably shouldn't have), and his feelings were very hurt. Now I feel like a horrible person.
Am I completely in the wrong?

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can't change how you feel. It's too bad that it hurt his feelings but I think it's better you told him becasue he probably would have seen dissapointement on you face when he gave it to you anyway and would have still been hurt.

I personally like the idea of a promise ring more after 20 than before becasue after 20 your much more likely to keep the promise than when your younger. I kind of got a promise ring before my engagement ring. He had my engagement ring custome made so while he was waiting for that he got me a stele tripple band as a place holder kind of... a pre-engagement ring... a promise ring... call it what you want... it meant that he was going to propose. I called it a pre-engagement ring and thus he was my pre-fiance. LOL

calico2222

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I can see what you're saying, but I think he maybe just wants to get you something to show he is committed to you and can't afford, or is not ready for an engagement ring. I personally think the idea of a promise ring is sweet. You don't have to tell everyone that it is a "promise ring"...that could just be between the two of you. Or, you may want to steer him in the direction of a nice necklace that you will never take off. Either way, he sounds like a sweetheart!

alleygirl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first thought was like you said, it seemed kind of juvenile... but after reading the other posts I have to agree with what they are saying and it does seem like a sweet thing to do.

leli

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you don't want it, then don't have it. If you really plan to be married, you should be able to tell him your true feelings about an object and not have him think what you're saying is actually how you feel about him (if that made sense). Okay, his feelings are hurt. Guess what.....it's not going to be the last time one of you hurts the others feelings. You're going to have to talk it through. Point out that you love him very much and love that he's thinking of you, but the promise ring just isn't your thing. Maybe you could spend that money on something special for both of you? Like a promise new stereo or something you'll both enjoy.....

I have told my boyfriend that I don't want an engagement ring. My reasons are
1) I have poor circulation and very sensitive skin, which means I don't wear any jewellery (except the occasional necklace, though not usually metal......friendship bracelet style mostly)
2) Getting married will be a huge financial undertaking. I feel like it'd be a waste to spend money on a ring (I KNOW that I'm probably the only one who feels this way). Especially since the man gets nothing and the girl gets an expensive piece of jewellery....doesn't seem fair to me.
3) It's just not my thing. I don't do rings. I have never, that I can recall, worn one for any significant period of time.

We talked about it and agreed, no engagement ring. I'll wear a wedding band. If we have the money to spare prewedding, we'll get an engagement new tv, because that's something he'll enjoy too. BF couldn't be more thrilled, actually.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by artharitis

So my boyfriend was talking about giving me a promise ring. I am 21 and he is 22. For some reason I associate promise rings with JR high/younger people. Therefor, I really don't like the idea of one. I feel slightly selfish and materialistic for that.. but I really feel like I would rather wait till engagement time comes around. I expressed this to him (I probably shouldn't have), and his feelings were very hurt. Now I feel like a horrible person.
I do not think you are in the wrong for being honest. I actually would feel the same way as you. Promise ring sounds like a kid thing.

althekitty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think it was a lovely gesture and at least you know he is commited. Yet, your interpretation of a promise ring is different to his and you are intitled to express that. You are not rejecting him though and if that is the case maybe you should reassure him of that because maybe that is how he percieved your reaction to be. All the best with it

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most people would associate it with a high school or father daughter situation! I have a promise ring from my boyfriend but there is no promise behind it (yeah i know makes no sense... I asked him what the promise was and he said nothing)... He just said its a promise ring but chose it not because of its meaning but because of the style (just the design of it)! At least you were honest and expressed your feelings toward the situation... Think of the positive in the long run your man is saving money on something you don't desire (by not purchasing one), sure his feelings are hurt but you dont need a ring to justify your love or future! Tell him you appreciate the gesture (because it is a sweet gesture) but that he should save his money (not for an engagement ring) since it's not something of your personal preference! I got my promise ring when I was 22 and thats only because I was hinting that I wanted jewelry after being together for 2 years for an xmas present (Im a brat but it wasnt expensive)!

phishmarisol

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All I know is that every couple I know that had promise rings split up. Good luck!

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by artharitis

I don't think you're wrong. I agree with you. Promise rings are way too high school IMHO.

If you are going to give a ring to promise committment to the relationship with the intention to get engaged and get married, then just give the darn engagement ring already and have a long engagement. I have never understood the whole promise ring thing. IMHO it's too juvenile. In grade 7 you are too young to get engaged and married, so you give someoine a promise ring and by the time school restarts you've moved onto another crush. As an adult you give engagement rings.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you have a very sweet boyfriend. Make sure he knows that you aren't rejecting HIM. I don't want to make you feel bad, but I can see how he would be hurt. Show him lots of love!

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Promise rings - well, you can also call them commitment rings - that doesn't sound quite as "young" does it? It's exactly the same thing. More often than not, a couple will buy a matching pair. Over here in Denmark, a couple will buy a set of commitment rings - and use them again as their wedding bands. Either that or they use the commitment rings as a kind of "substitute" to an engagement. It means the same thing - it just means that both partners get to wear a ring, not just the woman. But when all is said and done, does it really matter how he shows his commitment to you? No. Is it absolutely nocessary for a woman to get "bling" in her lifetime? No. Just because a diamond is "traditional", there are other ways of doing it. It could be that he doesn't have the money to buy you the bling that you want. Perhaps you could discuss with him a way to show your commitment to one another, that reaches a compromise?

I understand where you're coming from - I'm fairly set on the same idea - but I can also understnad why he's so hurt. But better that he knows how you really feel, than finding out later and thinking he's been taken for a ride. Show him a lotta luvin' and I'm sure he'll come around.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think promise rings are more for younger people (middle and high school) who are a bit young for marriage but want to show that they're committed to one another until that time arrives for the next step. At his age however, i really think he should be sprining for an engagement ring and a real committment rather than a promise ring. Perhaps you could let him know (in a gentle and kind way) that you would prefer a real committment and an engagement ring that leads to marriage rather than a promise to propose later on down the road- it just seems silly.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You shouldn't feel bad about how you feel. There's nothing wrong with telling him you aren't into it, as long as you give him an option that you DO like. (You don't want to say "I don't like that" without saying, "but I would like..." so he has some way to show you he cares about you.) Hope that makes sense!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have one- John surprised me w/ it right after we started dating- and its beautiful - a 1/2 carat princess cut - and I cherish it everyday. I also gave him one last year for our 1 year anniversary. I guess people may think they are childish, but for me, I really adore mine and cherish it more than anything

I guess thats just me, you can think of it as childish or immature if you want, we all have our own opinions I guess.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by babyharley

I have one- John surprised me w/ it right after we started dating- and its beautiful - a 1/2 carat princess cut - and I cherish it everyday. I also gave him one last year for our 1 year anniversary. I guess people may think they are childish, but for me, I really adore mine and cherish it more than anything

I guess thats just me, you can think of it as childish or immature if you want, we all have our own opinions I guess.
I think thats GREAT!

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rockcat

I think thats GREAT!
Thanks so much, I just get defensive I guess
about stuff like that.
The thing is, is that he spent a great deal on my ring- and when we're ready to get married, we can take it in and put it towards a wedding set- so the cost of my ring will be subtracted from the price of my new set. So its raelly just like a down payment thats done and paid for, for our future.

twstychik

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

about stuff like that.
The thing is, is that he spent a great deal on my ring- and when we're ready to get married, we can take it in and put it towards a wedding set- so the cost of my ring will be subtracted from the price of my new set. So its raelly just like a down payment thats done and paid for, for our future.
Aww... but doesn't that mean that you won't have it anymore? I actually encouraged Matt to get me something small and inexpensive for an engagement ring but he refused. So, I got an inexpensive (steel $20 at most) ring to hold the place of my engagement. I have to say, I'm glad he insisted because my engagement ring is perfect... and since it's a band w/ a flush set stone it will be my wedding ring too.

Oh, and for who ever said the guys don't get anything I spent a small fortune on his wedding band. Mine's platinum so I got him platinum too. Got a GREAT deal on it but it still wasn't cheap.

rockcat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

about stuff like that.
If you can part with it.
It does sound like a good plan though, and its from his heart.