she's going to pop anyday now.

heatherfranklin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've done this all before but I think it's not going to hurt to get some suggestions or helpful hints on how to handle the birth and after the birth.

I'm a little scared on where she's going to give birth. Last time she was in labor she woke my dad up and he just handed her to be and she gave birth on my bed (Ew). The last time she gave birth we had a smaller house and there was not many places for her to hide, and now we have a 2,000 sq. ft. home and I'm afraid that she's going to pop somewhere where I can't find her, or god forbid outside.

What should I use at the bottom of her little plastic bed/box after she has the babies? Last time I went through towels like it was toilet paper. I really don't want to do that again.

Share some of your experiences with your cat's giving birth! I'd love to know.

gayef

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by heatherfranklin

I've done this all before but I think it's not going to hurt to get some suggestions or helpful hints on how to handle the birth and after the birth.

I'm a little scared on where she's going to give birth. Last time she was in labor she woke my dad up and he just handed her to be and she gave birth on my bed (Ew). The last time she gave birth we had a smaller house and there was not many places for her to hide, and now we have a 2,000 sq. ft. home and I'm afraid that she's going to pop somewhere where I can't find her, or god forbid outside.
The best advice I have for you is to go to your local WalMart and purchase an extra-large dog training crate. They are affordable, about $50 and you can always use them later on in the event you need to confine a kitty for whatever reason (and those reasons DO exist!!). It makes a perfect place for Momma to have her babies, safely and without worry of her moving them all over the house. The good large ones have plenty of space for nesting materials, a small litter box and food/water bowls. You can make a lovely, dark, warm nest for her with a crate and believe me, when a Momma is moving kittens every which way but Sunday, you will be thankful you have the crate to prevent that from happening.

Just a word of caution here ... since your girl is pregnant, she should not be going outside at all. There are way too many things that can harm her or hurt the babies. Fleas and other parasites can kill small kittens within hours.

What should I use at the bottom of her little plastic bed/box after she has the babies? Last time I went through towels like it was toilet paper. I really don't want to do that again.
If you go with the crate, you can line the tray at the bottom with old sheets and blankets. If you use towels, one of the best suggestions I ever heard (think it came from GoldenKitty45) was to put them inside of old pillow cases first as the loops sometimes tend to catch little claws.

Will you be spaying your girl once the kittens are weaned? Do you have plans for the kittens to go to new homes or will you be keeping them?

mooficat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello , Gaye has given you some great advise, which I can only support

Keep us posted on momas progress and all the best for a safe & healthy delivery

minxie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck with the up coming birth and keep us is posted. Im in the same boat as you..awaiting Olivia to pop too lol. Gayef has got links in the sticky to this forum about birth and post-birth care. These have been invaluable to me (thanks gayef
), so they might help you too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

heatherfranklin

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by gayef

[/font]

The best advice I have for you is to go to your local WalMart and purchase an extra-large dog training crate. They are affordable, about $50 and you can always use them later on in the event you need to confine a kitty for whatever reason (and those reasons DO exist!!). It makes a perfect place for Momma to have her babies, safely and without worry of her moving them all over the house. The good large ones have plenty of space for nesting materials, a small litter box and food/water bowls. You can make a lovely, dark, warm nest for her with a crate and believe me, when a Momma is moving kittens every which way but Sunday, you will be thankful you have the crate to prevent that from happening.

Just a word of caution here ... since your girl is pregnant, she should not be going outside at all. There are way too many things that can harm her or hurt the babies. Fleas and other parasites can kill small kittens within hours.

If you go with the crate, you can line the tray at the bottom with old sheets and blankets. If you use towels, one of the best suggestions I ever heard (think it came from GoldenKitty45) was to put them inside of old pillow cases first as the loops sometimes tend to catch little claws.

Will you be spaying your girl once the kittens are weaned? Do you have plans for the kittens to go to new homes or will you be keeping them?
I'm not sure how many she's having I can only estimate. But I have 4 co-workers who really, really want kittens because she has just gorgeous kittens (they've seen from the last litter) and my vet gave my a great deal on getting the kittens their first set of shots before they're off to their new owners. Any left over kittens, I'll find homes for through the local humane society. They have a program where I can advertise the kittens, and last time I did it they went after a week. lol!

I don't let her outside at all these days, we live in the hills and they're many strays that she can get into fights with. Ans the ticks I'm extra worried about. Thanks for the tip about the flees! I've been giving her baths as much as I can to prevent flees.