Want not waste not - Leftovers

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
I made a roast lamb a couple of days ago and i still had some roast potatos/tomato/onion/garlic and some beef garlic gravy leftover, so i thought i'd chuck together a weird savoury sheppherds pie. I cooked up some beef mince with the gravy, bolognaise sauce, fresh onion & tomato and some smaller diced veges, sifted in a bit of plain flour to thicken it, plopped it into a ceramic loaf container. Then i mushed up all the potatos, added some milk and butter and made it all creamy, put in some grated cheese and spread the mash on top of the meat. Now it's in the oven and i hope in and hour or so it will come out all yummy.

I know it sounds kind of weird, but it's pretty much meat, tomato and potato, so not so bad :p i didn't have any worcestershire, but my recipe is blasphemy to the original sheppherds pie anyway

Does anyone here make any good meals out of leftovers?

critter crazy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ooooooo......I just Love Shepards Pie!! heck I just made that for dinner two nights ago!!! My favorite meal!! The rest of the family dosent seem to agree tho!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Critter Crazy

Ooooooo......I just Love Shepards Pie!! heck I just made that for dinner two nights ago!!! My favorite meal!! The rest of the family dosent seem to agree tho!

Coming from an English background it is one of my favourite meals. I love traditional home cooked meals that arent too complicated.

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i use leftover rotissary chicken for EVERYTHING! - chicken quesadillas, chicken and rice, you name it! I also use leftover Rotel dip to make chicken rotel spaghetti out of it
I try to get creative so we save money on the grocery bill and are using what we have in a frugal mannor.

critter crazy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All of our leftovers are eaten by my hubby(he takes the to work for lunch, not a big sandwich eater), so I normally dont have anything realy to turn into another meal. Sometimes I will have left over chicken, and I use that in just about anything I can think of. Leftover turkey, is used in soups, Potpies, and sandwiches (hot/Cold). Left over Steak, is used in Beef stroganoff, or quesadillas.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we have mashed potatoes, I barely eat any -- because they're so much better the next day, when I pat them into little patties and fry them in a mixture of butter and canola oil. Sometimes I dredge them in cornmeal first, and that's great too!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What most people call "leftovers" -- often perceived as a pejorative term -- are known in our house as "experienced food". The best casseroles don't come from recipes, but from the "experienced food" bin. Potatoes are often best the second time around -- to the point that I wouldn't think of baking only the number required for the mouths at the table. Etc., etc....need I say more?

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rapunzel47

Etc., etc....need I say more?
Um yes. Lol. My brain isnt working atm

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes... cold baked potatoes make the VERY best hashbrowns... and my mom makes doughnuts out of them, believe it or not!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
As there are only 2 of us, I've mastered the art of portion control cooking! However, I do often make a big batch of something that re-heats well, and make up "TV dinners" to freeze for H. I figure, you're using the oven/burners to heat up a pot of something, so why not make a BIG pot of something? We live mostly on stuff that I've made specifically for this reason. I hate to cook when I get home; H comes home at different times each day, sometimes at 10 PM or later--so it makes sense. For example, I made a big pan of lasagne yesterday, and had it for dinner, so did H, and I had it again for lunch today (I can eat the same thing over and over again; it doesn't bother me). I keep picking at it for a few days, then I freeze what's left. H won't eat the same thing twice in a week! I also make large shepherd's pies and chicken pot pies this way, too. I do the same with chili, making it in a Crock-Pot, and then freezing it. I made a roast beef in the C-Pot last week; then shredded it up, added barbecue sauce, and used it for sandwiches.

We earned a free ham for Easter; usually, it gets fully used for a week after; but we've been very busy around here since then, it went to waste. I usually make a macaroni cheese casserole with the diced ham. I don't do much with leftover turkey, as I HATE it!

Did I mention that I HATE to cook?????

MargeCat

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ick...I hate leftovers! For some reason, I'm grossed out by old meals.

The homeless people on my street, however, LOVE my leftovers...I've gotten several compliments on my cooking, and they have enjoyed a few TCS Cookbook meals

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lionessrampant

Ick...I hate leftovers! For some reason, I'm grossed out by old meals.

The homeless people on my street, however, LOVE my leftovers...I've gotten several compliments on my cooking, and they have enjoyed a few TCS Cookbook meals
So lets say you cook a roast lamb and veges like i did, and it's succulent and the whole neighbourhood is drooling over the smells coming from your house....you wouldn't eat any of it the next day if there's some left??

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Dragoriana

So lets say you cook a roast lamb and veges like i did, and it's succulent and the whole neighbourhood is drooling over the smells coming from your house....you wouldn't eat any of it the next day if there's some left??
MMMMMMMMMM....there's a gorgeous lamb curry waiting to be concocted from those leftovers.