How to Groom my Kitten?

lovemykitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a small kitten with short, thin hair.
This question may sound strange, but I have no clue how to go about grooming and caring for her coat.
Any help would be appreciated!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it has short thin hair now, you only want to use a gentle bristle brush at this point. As it gets a little thicker, you can switch to a grooming glove (with little teeth in it) or a flea comb.

I use a flea comb on my shorthairs - works good during shedding season

mybabyphx

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I also have a short hair, I just brush his coat whenever he's laying on my lap nicely and I feel like brushing him!! I end up doing it about 2 times a week, which I wish I could really do it more than that because he's starting to shed more now! Even though I have shampoo for him- I still haven't given him a bath. He doesn't seem dirty, and most cats "groom" their own fur. Another thing you need to remember is if he has his claws- you need to trim those before they get too long!!

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL! Im in the same boat! I know how to brush that is basic knowledge but she thinks the brush is a toy and bats it like crazy with her paw! I don't want to retain her while grooming but she almost fears her brush! Im thinking of getting a different brush for her that might be the issue! I used the older cats metal one on her and that may be too harsh for her skin at this point!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Try a zoom groom, they're soft so they won't hurt cats or kittens. They're also shaped nicely to fit in your hand.
You'll want to put it up after using it though, because it's rubber, Tomas always wants to use it as a chew toy.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Try a zoom groom, they're soft so they won't hurt cats or kittens. They're also shaped nicely to fit in your hand.
You'll want to put it up after using it though, because it's rubber, Tomas always wants to use it as a chew toy.
Do you have a link?

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank You! I've never heard of it before either! I tried looking for rubber brushes at my pet store and couldnt find any!

tekgrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've never tried a rubber brush before. Are they better than metal teeth? and why?

I'm finding mine don't like being brushed with a metal tooth comb. Fortunately my younger kitten DeeDee doesn't really shed at all yet.

kittiesx2

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Both of my cats love their Zoom Groom! It uses static electricity to help remove loose hair and REALLY works great

The first time that I used it on Diesel I had a HUGE pile of fur to throw away when we were finished! With a shorthair its probably all that you would need to use. Longer fur still needs to be combed occasionally though.
I also bought one for my Lab and he loves it too

They carry them at Petsmart for around $6-7

mzjazz2u

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, The zoom groom would work well on a kitten. Good for you for starting now! You'll be so much better off when the kitten has grown and is already used to being groomed.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought the Zoom Groom last night! The kitten was fine with it and my older cat liked it as well! The only gripe about this brush is that it is harder to get all of the hair off the brush after grooming, because it sticks to the brush so well! A metal brush is easier to pull the hair clumps out of, but it was worth it regardless! Thanks for the recommendation everyone!

night

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My kitten has thin and short fur, for now as a starter, i use a baby brush, with the really soft bristles, and baby brush's are quite cheap. The thing is the fur does'nt stick in the bristles, well i have'nt seen any so i dunno'..lol.. Unless Middy does'nt lose any fur yet.. lol!?
But she love's her brush and i reacon when i brush her she think's it's her mum or other cat/kitten cleaning her, so it's comfit.

The zoom groom looks like really good and would'nt mind trying, but i don't think i'v seen them around in the vet where we go to, so i'll try to check it out.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you have a Pet Supplies Plus location near you I know they have them there... That is where I picked mine up at! It cost me about $7.38!