The Kitten and the Dog?

lovemykitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At first the kitten hissed and swatted at the dog but now she's coming around to the thought of actually being friends.

But, you see, my adult cat is constantly being dragged around by the dog. The dog isn't overly aggressive but he likes to mop the floor with him.

So, now the dog is trying to do the same to the kitten. Does anyone else have this problem? The kitten rolls over on her stomach and the dog nips at her and barks like puppies do when they are playing. I am afraid for the kittens safety, as she is the runt of the litter resulting in her being extremely tiny for her age, and my dog is approximatly 85 lbs.
Does anyone have any suggestions/comments?
The dog also acts like this when I am playing with her. May this problem be the result of jelousy. We went many years with only having the dog and no other pets.
I need help!

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LoveMyKitten

But, you see, my adult cat is constantly being dragged around by the dog. The dog isn't overly aggressive but he likes to mop the floor with him.

So, now the dog is trying to do the same to the kitten. Does anyone else have this problem?
It is not jealously. The dog is just having fun. How old is this dog?

That is NOT okay in my house for my dogs, one of mine weighs 90lbs, then other is 65lbs. and 10lbs (the smallest, never bothers the cat).
The dogs are not allowed to carry cats in that manner. You need to let the dog know this is not acceptable behavior. If you have to supervise every interaction until the dog "gets it" then do so.
Mine had to be trained not to sit on, smash, hold under paw and keep there, or carry the cat in mouth. 2 of them were rather rough with kitty (not aggressive, but that still didn't make it okay) and I didn't want to see if things would work themselves out or get better on their own, I felt it was my job to be proactive & protect all the animals (esp. the 6lb cat) and make sure my zoo got along and knew the rules. The kitty loves attention and likes the dogs very much, but I don't want kitty to get hurt by their overt overly playful rude behavior, not matter if they don't mean harm, I don't want anyone to get hurt.

Most dogs are pretty easy to train as long as you are consistent. Good luck.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovemykitten

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I guess I'll have to set ristrictions on the playing they do.
It's hard though because the dog seems to be so defiant, he doesn't listen to me at all! The kitten is too old to understand, all she knows is that the dog's bigger so she better do what he wants.