Litter Locker update

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, today was day four of using it, and as I turned the wheel after scooping, I heard the unmistakable sound of litter falling to the inside bottom of the litter locker. I peeked in and yep, it's a nasty mess, 4 days worth.
So much for that.

I'm going back to using plastic bags and tossing the litter locker into the recycling bin. If anyone wants to buy the extra refill I have from me for what I paid for it, and split the postage costs with me, please PM me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

It seems you discovered the reason that probably prompted the person you bought it from to sell it.

Quite possibly!!!

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love mine I have 4. Are you saying that the bags don't last that long or is there another problem? I have never had any brake inside or anything like that. The bags last a ggod while for me in each of them and I have 8 inside cats. I have no complaints at all, I haven't heard really to many complaints about them. Sorry is you didn't like it..

valanhb

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Betsy, I have some tips for you...

I have 4 cats, obviously, and I only broken the bag (you're right
) once when I first started using it. I can now make the bag last over a month, and keep it from getting too full for a full week (well, six days...). It works out great because trash comes every Tuesday, I empty the litter locker bag, scoop litter into a plastic bag and throw both out to be collected.

Since I have litterboxes scattered throughout the house, I use a plastic bag to collect the scoopings, have the handles cut for easier dumping in the Litter Locker, and well, dump all the scoopings into the Litter Locker. I don't do a full turn of the wheel, just enough for the clumps to disappear below the wheel. A little sprinkle of litter deoderizer (I found that Tidy Cats works best for the LL) and no lingering oder.

This system works well for me and my 4.

lionessrampant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by valanhb

Betsy, I have some tips for you...

I have 4 cats, obviously, and I only broken the bag (you're right
) once when I first started using it. I can now make the bag last over a month, and keep it from getting too full for a full week (well, six days...). It works out great because trash comes every Tuesday, I empty the litter locker bag, scoop litter into a plastic bag and throw both out to be collected.

Since I have litterboxes scattered throughout the house, I use a plastic bag to collect the scoopings, have the handles cut for easier dumping in the Litter Locker, and well, dump all the scoopings into the Litter Locker. I don't do a full turn of the wheel, just enough for the clumps to disappear below the wheel. A little sprinkle of litter deoderizer (I found that Tidy Cats works best for the LL) and no lingering oder.

This system works well for me and my 4.
I do almost the exact same thing....only, I scoop directly into the LL. And I use regular baking soda, not Tidy Cats.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure those tips would work for me - I used it exactly the way I am supposed to, and the bag just let go, dumping everything into the bottom of the locker. If it breaks that easily, there is no point in continuing to use it, as far as I am concerned.

I didn't force the wheel or anything, just a half turn like I was supposed to give, and the bag broke in the process.

Not impressed!

emrldsky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had that happen when I've put too much in there before I turn. DH does this fairly often. He hasn't figured out that when the litter locker is heavier than the litter box, then it's time to do the cut and dump. lol

But, as a seasoned user, I have learned how to avoid doing that. And the only reason I continued to use it even after those incidents, is because at the time I lived in an apartment and it's easier to do that than use plastic bags that I'd have to carry all the way to the dumpster each time.

Now it's just pure laziness, lol.

trixie23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GingersMom

Well, today was day four of using it, and as I turned the wheel after scooping, I heard the unmistakable sound of litter falling to the inside bottom of the litter locker. I peeked in and yep, it's a nasty mess, 4 days worth.
So much for that.

I'm going back to using plastic bags and tossing the litter locker into the recycling bin. If anyone wants to buy the extra refill I have from me for what I paid for it, and split the postage costs with me, please PM me.
I have the litter locker and it was a huge waste of money! It is hard to turn the wheel and a pain to load the bags, etc! Im going back to plastic bags. What a waste of money! My bf gets infuriated with that thing... He screams "throw this piece of sh** away"!

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emrldsky

I've had that happen when I've put too much in there before I turn. DH does this fairly often. He hasn't figured out that when the litter locker is heavier than the litter box, then it's time to do the cut and dump. lol

But, as a seasoned user, I have learned how to avoid doing that.
I guess the question is how much is too much - do I need to weigh it for volume before deciding when to turn?

Just seems like something that is supposed to be "easier" turns out to be more of a PITA.

critter crazy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just out of curiosity, I looked it up, and seems like the litter locker is just like a Diaper Genie. Why not just use a diaper genie?? I had one when my son was little, and loved it. It was the greatest invention at the time, i thought. Wouldnt it work the same for the Cat litter. They are cheaper too arent they? Just a thought!

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I guess the question is how much is too much - do I need to weigh it for volume before deciding when to turn?

Just seems like something that is supposed to be "easier" turns out to be more of a PITA.
There should be a little diagram on the lid that shows how much you can fill it before you have to turn it and put more in. It's about an inch or so before the top.

I wouldn't give up on it. It sounds like you either overfilled it and that ripped the bag or you maybe had a dud refill. Any problems with the bags breaking wouldn't be with the litter locker but with the bags itself. Also, are you just you set it up correctly?

I love mine and have never had any problems. I do find that there is a tiny bit of litter (maybe half a teaspoons worth) at the bottom of the locker when I change it out completely, and I don't know where it comes from. I make sure to tie a solid knot at the bottom before I hook it onto the wheel. I also turn the wheel as I close the locker to make sure the bag is wrapped around the wheel some and has some tension before I use it for the first time.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by ReesesPBC

There should be a little diagram on the lid that shows how much you can fill it before you have to turn it and put more in. It's about an inch or so before the top.

I wouldn't give up on it. It sounds like you either overfilled it and that ripped the bag or you maybe had a dud refill. Any problems with the bags breaking wouldn't be with the litter locker but with the bags itself. Also, are you just you set it up correctly?

I love mine and have never had any problems. I do find that there is a tiny bit of litter (maybe half a teaspoons worth) at the bottom of the locker when I change it out completely, and I don't know where it comes from. I make sure to tie a solid knot at the bottom before I hook it onto the wheel. I also turn the wheel as I close the locker to make sure the bag is wrapped around the wheel some and has some tension before I use it for the first time.
Yup, I absolutely set it up correctly, followed each instruction (with pictures and text) step by step, and even rechecked a couple of steps.

I'm extremely detail oriented, LOL.

I suppose after cleaning it out (I'm dreading that) that I can give it another try, but if it happens again, it's recycling for that piece of plastic!

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i would give it another shot too. be sure to not fill about the fill line and i always crank it gently to give the poop time to conform to the contour of the inside of the locker.....i have never had a back rip....i've had a bag let go because i got to the end of the refill and didn't know it.....

oops

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Renovia

i would give it another shot too. be sure to not fill about the fill line and i always crank it gently to give the poop time to conform to the contour of the inside of the locker.....i have never had a back rip....i've had a bag let go because i got to the end of the refill and didn't know it.....

oops
What fill line? There isn't one! I was using common sense, but I guess I don't have enough, LOL!

I am wondering if it is because I use clumping litter. The clumps won't conform, darn those rebel clumps.

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

What fill line? There isn't one! I was using common sense, but I guess I don't have enough, LOL!

I am wondering if it is because I use clumping litter. The clumps won't conform, darn those rebel clumps.
On the inside of the lid there should be a diagram which will show approximately where the line is. It's about an inch or so from the top.

I use clumping litter too and have never had a problem.

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

On the inside of the lid there should be a diagram which will show approximately where the line is. It's about an inch or so from the top.

I use clumping litter too and have never had a problem.
I'll double-check when I get home, but I believe that there are no graphics on the inside of the lid, or I think I would have noticed them, sitting with it less than 2 feet from my face while using it.

I wonder if I have the earliest version. Hmmmmm....

reesespbc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well it's an embossed plastic graphic, not a sticker, so it's kind of hard to see. But basically just use the rule of, don't fill past about one inch or so before the top.

Maybe when I scoop tonight, if she's done enough I'll take a picture *lol*

gingersmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Well it's an embossed plastic graphic, not a sticker, so it's kind of hard to see. But basically just use the rule of, don't fill past about one inch or so before the top.

Maybe when I scoop tonight, if she's done enough I'll take a picture *lol*
The inside of mine is just smooth blue...but again, I will double check.